Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6 Touring ability
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Am I mad to want to try touring on an SB6
Yes
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
No
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 7

djt77

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: SB6 Touring ability Reply with quote

Can a few of you guys comment on the touring ability of the SB6?

Looks like I might be able to get over to Europe next summer and fancy doing few weeks on bike, (Will include a visit to the Bimota Factory) while it would be great to ship my current bike over, doesn't make sense, what does is to buy an SB6 tour for 2 weeks then park at parents house for the old man to use.

Wouldn't want a totally mint bike more something thats been used and is reliable. Thinking budget around 3 - 3.5k
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're used to the bike it's not difficult.
I use a rucksack - mine's a Karrimor, but you'll need a waterproof inner bag. I use a compression bag for my waterproofs. Carry 1 pair of jeans and a few T-shirts, underwear for a set amount of days - then use a Launderette.

You must reduce the heat transfere from the pipe through the saddle, my pipes are Camcoated but I've also used self adhesive heat reflector under the seat unit and exhaust wrap (for rally cars). Dual compound bar grips reduce vibration a bit. Propper headlights.

Carrying spares is limited - renew the spark plugs before you go. Carry chain lube. You may need to top up the oil so either take the seat unit off or know how to get the oil filler open. I carry one of these http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/261001782390?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla change the torx for more hex bits and put a 6mm spanner with hex bit glued in (to open the oil filler)

Good to go.
oily

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never, ever had a problem as long as you have a minimum level of fitness Wink

As EC say's, luggage space is limited Wink
£3.5k should buy you something. If you can find something Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
CBar

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a few weekend trips on the SB6 and it's not bad. I don't know about 2 weeks, but it depends on how many miles a day. I rode to a Norton rally last fall and did 600 miles in 29 hours. The 225 miles the first day was fine. The 375 the second day was OK, except for the last 60 miles. I was ready to get home and off the bike!

Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife has ridden several 1000+ mile weekends on her stock 2000 R1. The one weekend, we rode 2 hours to a nearby town, did a SaddleSore 1000, then rode nearly 400 miles home the next day. It was something like 1600 miles in three days on the R1. The SB6 probably wouldn't be much worse.
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
Pompey

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the wife doing Desmo?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desmo_Demon wrote:
My wife has ridden several 1000+ mile weekends on her stock 2000 R1. The one weekend, we rode 2 hours to a nearby town, did a SaddleSore 1000, then rode nearly 400 miles home the next day. It was something like 1600 miles in three days on the R1. The SB6 probably wouldn't be much worse.

You haven't really ridden an SB6 much huh ????
oily

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
Desmo_Demon wrote:

That's was my thinking too Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Pompey

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you travel light as above then you'll be fine as you can move around the bike for cornering etc which eases the aches and pains. I travel light because these days I use hotels. The old days of camping and having the bike laden with tents and sleeping bags are long gone. The thought of having to goose step over the saddle to get on and then being pinned between a tank bag, tail pack and back pack were fun but best left a memory. Wink
Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
Desmo_Demon wrote:
The SB6 probably wouldn't be much worse.

LOL....naw. I just like throwing that fact out there whenever anyone complains about long distance riding....especailly if I happen to state that my wife is disabled and is in pain 24/7/365.

I firmly believe that any bike can be ridden long distances. It just takes body conditioning. My 748 killed me the first few times I rode it, but after a couple of weekends, I was riding it distances similar to what I was doing on my ST2. I just had to get my body used to having more extreme angles at the knees, elbows, and neck. I don't recall what the SB6 seating position feels like, but my 748 is considerably worse than my DB2. If I ever get around to working out more bugs created by the previous owner, I wouldn't mine 1000+ mile weekends on the DB2. Wasn't the SB6 advertised to be more of a sport-touring Bimota? Laughing

Pompey wrote:
How's the wife doing Desmo?

Still wheelchair bound until the 18th, if the doc clears her to start using that leg, again. She's lost a bit of movement in her shoulder and we are hoping that she regains a lot of it in the coming weeks. In the meantime, I've been interviewing her about her motorcycling life and have started writing a book about it.
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"

Last edited by Desmo_Demon on Sun May 13, 2012 1:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SB6R is the more GT version. The Six has a hard seat, and pipes that can cook your ass in 80 miles that's why you'd find it hard to tor on a standard one. If you take care of the niggles though it's not so bad. I did 14 hours on mine stopping for fuel + food.
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the SB6 and buy yourself a Mantra. All-day comfortable, 200 miles to a tankful and the added bonus that when you park it up at night, nobody is ever going to steal it! Very Happy
oily

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmmm...........
Probatbly best to suffer a SB6 rather than the embarrassment of a muntra
Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and suffer you will............. Very Happy
Ekku

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: might be possible Reply with quote

You can go touring with any bike. There is a difference in the comfort level thought, but it also depends which level You are used to.

That is the one reason why I do not fancy to go and test drive the new bikes. I can keep my dreams of having a "good" bike a little bit longer... Smile

I think that the worst factor of touring with SB6 is that you have to carry all the stuff in your back. It can change the uncomfortable ride to real pain in the ass-mode if you get too much weight in your rucksack.

I have noticed that it loads your legs more and when the straps are tight the blood circulation to your arms suffers and the fingers get numb more easily.

You can do it, but You do not necessarily enjoy it that much as you expect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: