Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB2 rear caliper

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bimotanige

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: DB2 rear caliper Reply with quote

Hi chaps
Anyone know where I can get a rear caliper for the DB2, or what else it fits. One of the pads disintigrated while on the motorway, which heated the caliper up and melted the seals!!! I guess a new unit will be the cheapest way - I suspect its the caliper that you cant get the pads for! Sad
2bims

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo Nige, busy searching for you, Dewe159 German Ebay normally has NOS exact same with new brembo pads, and they are around 25GBP each, bought new ones for the DB2 and recently for the DB4, as my rear caliper seized up and locked the back wheel also. Disc went a very funny colour indeed. You may also want to check the disc also to see if its warped. I have a serviceable spare rear caliper that came off the Db2 that you could have, and you may need a new rear disc, and I also have a spare of these, NOS from Piero. I bet Piero has the calipers also as the disc and caliper are the same as on V-dues, Db4's Sb6's YB11's you name it Bimota, they are the same on all. Cagiva Mito 125's also used the same caliper. I have your V-due fairing and gasket kit at mine also if you are ever over here
Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: DB2 rear caliper Reply with quote

bimotanige wrote:
Anyone know where I can get a rear caliper for the DB2, or what else it fits.

I imagine it should be the same as many of the Brembo units used by Ducati in those early 90's, but I can't seem to find any with a housing just like the one on the DB2. I do know that the caliper is NOT the same as the '94 SS900CR, '98 ST2, '01 M900ie, or '02 748.

Looking at the line inlet and/or bleeder location, all the calipers are different on the bikes I mention. The ST2 may work if the bleeder and line inlet are interchangeable. The one for the 748 may work, also, but the '94 SS900CR and '01 M900ie have the line inlet on the opposite side of the caliper (which would be to the rear-most position if mounted on the DB2). I did not check the mounting points for the caliper to the calirper bracket, but they all looked the same distance.
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
GeeKay

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a new one off ebay.de - probably from the same person Steve mentioned - £30 + postage, but it came without pads.
Its for the Tesi project, but if you are desperate for one, you can have it and buy me a replacement later. Cant see the Tesi being roadworthy this year........... Very Happy
bimotanige

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"as my rear caliper seized up and locked the back wheel also. Disc went a very funny colour indeed"
I suspect that mine would have seized if I hadnt been on the motorway -initially thought it had dropped onto one cylinder as it slowed that quickly. Indeed my disc looks like it has been in a forge - very blue but still true. Will investigate the options cheers guys.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange really, I had just taken the DB4 for a blast on the motorway also, and I ended up parked on the side of a road, about 1/4 mile from home. Rear had locked solid, felt like I had no cylinders.
A car full of "bikers" pulled over to help as I was stuck in the middle of the lane it was locked so tight, the bike wouldn't move at all. I had to quickly stop them from trying to lift the back wheel off the ground using the rear monocoque as a lifting point, you know, the self supporting fibreglass back end with NO SUBFRAME whatsoever. Fortunately they listened to me and used the swingarm instead to lift and push the bike to the roadside.

By the time I had walked home and got my toolkit the disc had cooled sufficiently to shrink back and free itself, enabling me to push it home. Pistons seemed fine upon inspection, but aged pads had melted all of their friction material. Caliper and disc and pads now changed for NOS. The original disc is still a funny colour on the edge Crying or Very sad

Considered it a lucky escape that it happened in a slow zone and so close to home
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I had the same problem on my YB9 but I think if the adjustment of the rear brake pedal doesn't leave enough clearance the pads rub and caliper heats causing the brake fluid to boil, then causing the brake to lock; that's my theory, anyway. After adjusting the pedal for more slack I haven't had any further trouble.

Cheers, MikeJ.
bimotanige

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all sorted - cagiva 125 supercity is the correct one. Will have a look to see if I can adjust the pedal to give more movement before it bites. I hardly use the back brake on this bike anyway Laughing Thanks for the help guys
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bimotanige wrote:
all sorted - cagiva 125 supercity is the correct one. Will have a look to see if I can adjust the pedal to give more movement before it bites. I hardly use the back brake on this bike anyway Laughing Thanks for the help guys

Mito also would have done, I think Mike is probably right in the adjustment thingies, as the brake lever isn't held back by any big spring or such, moreover its the tiny little snail cam that offers the adjustment, I'll be slackening my snail cam off for sure to give the pads all the room I can give them
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: