Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

900SS Resto Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a good note, the Mrs and the R1 are getting back on the mend Laughing
Sorry to heat that your biking interest has wained as of late. Hopefully as you are back on here from time to time your interest and faith in biking can be restored somewhat. Theres always frustrations with bikes and accidents can stall or stop some folk, but hopefully you can both get through that and come out the other side, little by little mate, all the best to Mrs Desmo for a safe and full recovery, I'll be keeping my fingers crossed. Oh and what the heck is "magnafluxing" before I google it Laughing
Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Oh and what the heck is "magnafluxing" before I google it Laughing

My understanding is that it's a way to check for cracks that are so small that you can't see them with the naked eye. The method I am most used to hearing about is running a polar current through the metal part and then using a ferrous dye of some sort that will concentrate and follow a crack in the metal. My father actually gave me a kit that uses a metal dust that you sprinkle onto the part with the current going through it, and if there is a crack, the dust will accumulate on top of it.

I'd hate you to put all this work into the bike and then have a crack that already exists get larger and make you tear the bike apart, again.
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Desmo for the info. Some time back I bought a spare set of brembo discs for the DB2 (fronts). When they arrived they were a little rusty, no great surprise being cast iron, but a good thickness and straight and true, so I thought I'd clean them up a bit and oil them before putting into storage.
All was going well until there seemed to be some small cracks eminating from the drilled holes of the discs, I used the "macro" close up facility on my high res digital camera, then uploaded onto computer and blew them up, turns negligible splinters into the Grand Canyon, quite illuminating. Fortunately Nice German man was very apologetic and gave full refund

And now for the close up

Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
All was going well until there seemed to be some small cracks eminating from the drilled holes of the discs,

I had issues with a bad master cylinder AND a bad caliper on my Harley at about 95k miles. With two components bad, but not total failures, it took a while to troubleshoot it. I wound up destroying two rotors as the brakes were dragging and the heat was cuasing cracks in the same location as those Brembos.
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was another dry and bright night and I'm away a bit in the upcoming future, so went for a last dry fit of all the bodyparts and Zorsts before final strip and away to powder coaters and painters
Getting a bit more into it now that the stripping of rusty and dirty/cruddy parts is over, its nice to be working with clean fresh new bolts and refurbished parts Laughing

Going to be doing the final rubdown/filling/sanding/reprofiling whilst the parts are on the bike as its a lot easier than loose panels and parts, tank temporary fit, it needs to move back an inch or so to meet up with the seat unit properly

Also note that I had to cable tie the end can to line and level as my exisiting hanger brackets are too long for the right line and level, so back on the hunt for new shorter brackets

Some serious trimming of the rear mudguard/number plate holder is needed, just waiting for the rear light unit to arrive so that I can dry fit that and see how high I can fix the number plate and then trim and cut to suit, or I just may fabricate an ally hanger for the plate and indicators

Thats all for now, hopefully get some time next week for a half day strip down and drop engine, forks, swinging arm and shock then disperse to the parts to the four corners of Northern Counties for paint/powder coat/polish

looking forward to collecting bits and final assembly in the dining room Laughing
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What that really needs Steve is a nice set of wheels !! Shocked Shocked Twisted Evil
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not much new with the Duc, finally got round to filing new panel edges to fit profile etc and final prep and wet and dry to the new bodywork to remove mould markings etc, so that the bodywork can not all come off and go to the painters,

Marked and set out in masking tape the new line for the cut down rear guard, keeping the underseat unit as is saves all the road crud from getting stuck up around the electrics etc

Have to also cut out the indicator mounts from the rear guard so that they can be reattached to the cut down section so that they fit with the correct splay and sit straight

Rear of guard will be cut to the underside of a shorty number plate

Front bikini section given final wet and dry and profiling prior to the paintshop

Chose the rear seat unit that has a removable bump stop for my "butties and pork pie" Laughing

I've even managed to loosen or remove all 18 disc bolts with only the need for an impact driver on one to loosen! A first for a Doocati and italian steel. And to think I actually bought appropriate chisels in anticpation of having to use them Laughing

Have several days off next week so it will be finally drop the engine time, and bodywork off to paintshop and frame, headlight assembly, crankcases and clip ons and headstock off to be sandblasted and powder coated together with wheels. Real progress to be made in the next 2-3 weeks...must be time to be looking for another project... Laughing
oily

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst looking for your next project, see if you can make it a Bimota Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its on the cards Wink Nice to find someone else that doesn't care about the football Laughing
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football....what football? Very Happy

MikeJ.
oily

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It bores me so much, I don't even watch the word cup if England is playing nobby stiles and bobby Charlton Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oily wrote:
It bores me so much, I don't even watch the word cup if England is playing nobby stiles and bobby Charlton Wink

Ditto

I hope they go through though, as it gives me 2 guaranteed hours of traffic free roads to ride on, sheer bliss, followed by more free time as people have been drinking as well Laughing
morebhp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another advantage of living in Spain - they tend to play more often than the Brits in these tournaments Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, go on , rub it in, fortunately most bikers I know don't give a monkeys chuff about Football (myself included) seems to be part of the make-up of bikers support football or ride bikes, easy decision for me
oily

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the difference between brain cells and no brain cells.

Be fleeced an extortionate amount of money to WATCH a vastly overpaid socially inept actor fall over and pretend to be hurt.

OR

Go out and do something for yourself which doesn't involve being a voyeur and watching other people.......well, unless they're fit and wearing mini skirts.....
the birds that is Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: