Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Mantra carbs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bidalot

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Mantra carbs Reply with quote

Hi,
My Mantra runs with mikuni carbs and I would like to change throttle cables.
Is there any DUCATI part code ? I search the same cables.

I would like to fit a Dynojet kit stage 1 on these carbs. Is it a good idea ?

Thanks for your help and your feedback.
GeeKay

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I searched for Ducati throttle cables for my Mantra and found that 900SS cables are too short (the 900SS has clip-on style handlebars) so I had to make my own.

Garry.
bidalot

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducati throttle cables don't fit the Mantra because, all ducati M900 and 900ss have a separate throttle grip from the lights and emergency switch.

The Mantra has an integrated plastic throttle grip with all functions. It's a shame.

I'm searching a solution to have both : one throttle unit and one lectrical unit like on this picture :

GeeKay

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the throttle-side switch is a generic Ducati / Cagiva unit BUT it only has functions for engine stop/start and electric start - you would have to re-locate the lights "off/side/on" switch to the other side - alot of trouble just to fit a throttle cable?
bidalot

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally agree with you.

The more simple is to find a new throttle-side switch with new cables.

Because my throttle-side switch is broken (too old).

Do you know where I could buy a new one ?

I search on internet but I can't identify where this part is built...It looks like a japanese part...
crankcase

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That design of right switch unit was used on a lot of later Ducatis- after 916, I think.

But it also looks similar to some Hondas: NSR125, Transalp, Africa Twin also older CBRs, can't remember exactly now.

The left side unit really looks like Honda. I think lots of bikes made in Spain and Italy had that unit- check out, Transalps, Varadero, Deauville, CB500, Hornet 600- but the wiring might be completely different.

hope this helps a bit
Ian

PS long Ducati cables, or bikes with those carbs: Yamaha TDM? Ducati ST2?
oily

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the switchgear on one of the SB6's with CBR600 switchgear which looked identical ........BUT.........as crankie says, the wiring was totally different.
Mostly the right amount of wires (wrong colours of course) but wired up differently Wink
Not an insurmountable problem but a small degree of electrical knowledge required
Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
bidalot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another question for Mantra's fans...

Is it possible to fit FCR41 carbs on it ?

I'm asking this question because the fuel tank is very close to the head of mikunies carbs. I saw it on a DB4 with a fuel tank modified.

On the ducati monster it's either necessary to cut the air box to wire the cables to the throttle grip, is it the same with the mantra ?

If it's impossible, I will rejet the mikunies with a dynojet stage one kit...
deebee4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bidalot wrote:
I have another question for Mantra's fans...

Is it possible to fit FCR41 carbs on it ?

I'm asking this question because the fuel tank is very close to the head of mikunies carbs. I saw it on a DB4 with a fuel tank modified.

On the ducati monster it's either necessary to cut the air box to wire the cables to the throttle grip, is it the same with the mantra ?

If it's impossible, I will rejet the mikunies with a dynojet stage one kit...

Mikuni TDMR40 are a direct swap without the need to change the throttle cables. These run just as good as the FCR's (I wouldn't recommend the 41mm items on a Mantra, better use the 39mm set if you really want FCR's) and the Mikuni TDMR40 are a lot less work. The Keihins need new throttle cables, and that's very tight (too tight) under the tank of a Mantra.
The FCR 41mm are more for the tuned engines and track use.
bidalot

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.
The TDMR carbs are very very very expensive.
I will buy a dynojet kit stage 1. I think it will be a nice first step to free the engine...
bidalot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uros and I are having a very interresting discussion about the dynojet kit for the Mantra.

As you red, I plan to fit a dynojet stage 1 kit on my mikuni carbs. I'don't receive the kit yet.

Uros, told me that the Mantra's engine and carbs are pre-tuned by the factory, so the dynojet kit which are developped for Ducati 900 (SS and M) are not efficient on the Mantra.

Could you share your opinion about that ?

I would like to know if some of you use dynojet kit on their bike.

I would like to know if there is any difference between Ducati and Bimota engines en carbs ?
Uros

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo, yes, it's true because I believe my Ducati meccanic that opened up my Mantra to change all gaskets and rubber after 12 years of her sleep. He offered me to put a pair of Ducati tuning chips (replace them with the Bimota ones under the seat - they would chenge the ignition timing) but then he saw that the Mantra has almost everything different from the Monster/SS so he advised me not to play too much with tuning. The only thing that he agreed that it would be ok is to put on the big bore kit for Monster/SS. He says that this would be the only thing that would really make a big difference on the plus side.
For now I'm perfectly happy with my lady, so I'm not gonna change anything.
deebee4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uros wrote:
Yo, yes, it's true because I believe my Ducati meccanic that opened up my Mantra to change all gaskets and rubber after 12 years of her sleep. He offered me to put a pair of Ducati tuning chips (replace them with the Bimota ones under the seat - they would chenge the ignition timing) but then he saw that the Mantra has almost everything different from the Monster/SS so he advised me not to play too much with tuning. The only thing that he agreed that it would be ok is to put on the big bore kit for Monster/SS. He says that this would be the only thing that would really make a big difference on the plus side.
For now I'm perfectly happy with my lady, so I'm not gonna change anything.

Nothing too special on a stock Mantra (nor a db4) compared to the contemporary Ducs. You can use various tuning components without problems. Those Kokusan iginition boxes are stock 900SS. Big bore kit will need rejetting or other carbs. Most of the time a Dynojet stage 1 or 2 with good setup (rejetting, sometimes other main jets than provided in the kit work better) will improve overall behavior.
bidalot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied the workshop manuals of Mantra and 900 ss this week-end and there's no difference.

Same engine : Duc 900ss (904 cc, compression 1:9,2)
Same carbs : MIKUNI BDST 38-B129
Same carbs needles (5C 19-4), jets (140/150/40/70) and holes (Y2)
Same ignition box : KOKUSAN BB1105
Same sparks plugs : CHAMPION RA6HC or NGK DCPR7E
Same mainfolds
Sames timing belts and cams

So I think there is strictly no difference between engines of Bimota Mantra and 900ss.

The only differences are :
- air filter
- fuel pump (PAIOLI or MIKUNI DF44-210)
- final transmission chain : REGINA 5.20 instead of 5.25 on DUC
- PAIOLI fork : RSU 43 mm

Mr. Green Wink
Uros

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thank you bidalot, for this enlightment...Smile
I'll tell my meccanic to put on some new glasses or something...Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: