Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Mantra carbs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bidalot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha, ha !!!!

I rode my Mantra during 200 kms this week-end with my re-jetted carbs (Dynojet stage 1).

It's simply fantastic.

There's really a big difference. More torque, energetic throttle response.

A new bike in fact for less than 100 €.

I re-jetted the carbs myself. It's very easy, except moving the tank, the handlebars, the throttle cables, the fuel lines, the fuel pump .... (3 hours).

I'm now waiting for my new STM breather, and the Mantra will be totally new (10 months of work and too much euros...).
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oH dEAR, WISH i HADN'T READ THAT, now I'm going to have go and do the same myself as am finding the throttle response a tad Hhmm on my DB4, especially compared to Vorts Corse edition and my modified Db2, but 100 Euros can't be a bad gamble for better feel. Have you kept the same twin cable throttle assembly, or gone for a quarter turn assembly??
Uros

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright alright bidalot, you got me convinced! I shall try the same...SmileSmile

So, to sum it up, you just bought a Dynojet kit and mounted it on the bike (+plus rejetting the carbs of course) and that's it?

Also, what the hell is the STM breather??
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't so sure either, but google did the trick

http://motowheels.com/i-7752160-stm-stile-crankcase-oil-breather-848-1098-1198-sf.html

Fits at the bank of the crank in place of the original breather, hose and catch tank, or as on Bimotas they feed the long rubber hose up to the air filter box

You could also alternatively ditch the hose and connector to the aor box and for one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Breather-Filter-19mm-Oil-Crankcase-Air-Small-R-/270765144707?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0adc3a83

Right diameter for the hose, just leave a spare inch or so to connect, and cheap as chips Laughing
Uros

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!
Something new! Thanks!

Bidalot, is it the same as you will mount it? Any special things to be careful of?
brian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
You could also alternatively ditch the hose and connector to the aor box and for one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Breather-Filter-19mm-Oil-Crankcase-Air-Small-R-/270765144707?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f0adc3a83

And don't forget to plug the hole in the airbox so you're not sucking unfiltered air into your donk Wink
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a worthy point. I found a nice rubber grommet that did just the trick with that
bidalot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
oH dEAR, WISH i HADN'T READ THAT, now I'm going to have go and do the same myself as am finding the throttle response a tad Hhmm on my DB4, especially compared to Vorts Corse edition and my modified Db2, but 100 Euros can't be a bad gamble for better feel. Have you kept the same twin cable throttle assembly, or gone for a quarter turn assembly??

I had to keep the same twin cables throttle assembly because I didn't found another solution. The original Bimota cables are specific. They are longer than Ducati Monster ones. They had to run under the oil radiator, the Ducati monster cables can't.

The throttle box is also different. The Bimota cables are screw under the plastic box. Ducati as separate throttle grip and electric box if you know what I mean.

I don't find the name of the firm who manufacture the throttle bow and the cables.

For the crankcase breather, I don't recommend to install a K&N filter. Because there so much oily dirt which needs to go out of the engine.

Some of my friends who install K&N filters on their Ducati breather quickly removed them to go back to the original assembly with the long tube to the air box. Because there was so much oil sprayed on the rear of the bike.

On a race track, use a filter on the breather is forbidden...

So you can install a billet breather (with blades inside) but with the long original rubber tube.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest thats what I've done with my crankcase breather on the DB2 and Db4, kept the full length hose for extra catchment, but then put the mesh filter on the end, extra expansion room, but theres just no sense in the original set-up to let anything that comes out go direct into the air filer box AFTER the filter section, just my opinion (i.e. the standard set up) My airbox was really cruddy and sticky inside from overflow of crud from the breather fed direct into it
deebee4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my db4 I fitted a biller STM item too with a long hose that goes all te way up into the tail section and connected to a K&N crankcase breather. Only after re-oiling there's some drips of red filter oil on the rear fender. After a few wipes all's fine, no problem at all. Obviousy best is to lead the tube in a breathable container, but with a long hose there won't be a lot blow into it. So I leave it like it is now and never had a problem on the track.
deebee4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

double...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: