Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB8K MPG
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zombie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: SB8K MPG Reply with quote

hi all,
Just checking whether anyone has SB8K MPG information. Mine is doing 27mph (its very fast riding though for long periods) and I am wondering if I need to change something, as its plenty powerful and fast just thirsty.

Whats confusing me is the SB8RS does 40 something and so does the raptor which both have the same engine.

Cheers,
Zomb
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had the fueling set up on a dyno ???

After that there's a small hole in the bottom of the fuel tank bung that up and it seems to make a huge difference Razz Razz Razz
morebhp

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

27 mph is not so fast Wink
zombie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, I mean 27mpg.

It runs absolutely great - just seems a bit thirsty.

Just to explain a bit more I've spent hours getting it to this level of performance and reliability on the fueling, hence I don't want to start the process again unless there is a good benefit likely at the end.

Commuting 70 miles a day now so a few mpg really makes a difference at the end of the week....

All the best,
Zombie
zombie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, I mean 27mpg.

It runs absolutely great - just seems a bit thirsty.

Just to explain a bit more I've spent hours getting it to this level of performance and reliability on the fueling, hence I don't want to start the process again unless there is a good benefit likely at the end.

Commuting 70 miles a day now so a few mpg really makes a difference at the end of the week....

All the best,
Zombie
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does seem to be excessive. If its running clean though it must be chugging in lots of air to compensate in the tune and the jets much be that much bigger to? Like you say, if its running ok it might be better to let sleeping dogs lie. It might be cheaper in the long run to buy a cheap commuter then fiddle and save piling up the miles on the bim. Unless, of course, its a twisty road Wink
akito-man

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting about 30-35 out of mine- spirited riding, but mine is BIGGER!
zombie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30-35 is not that far off, so I will leave as-is and try some less aggressive riding. With the K, it has a kind of pumper carb emulation, but if you keep twisting open slowly its very generous with the extra fuel and responds accordingly - I will try and keep the throttle more constant and see what happens.

I think the next easiest option is to clean the filter, but its only a couple of thou since I did that.

Pompey my model #2 Gobert has shower injectors only and they spray onto the plates a lot of the time, so it tends to run a bit dirty, soots up the spark plugs given half a chance particularly in cold weather when idling alot.

The shower idea and approach was nicked by Ducati and they perfected it in the 999R, BUT for low throttle openings they use a conventional injector and cross steadily over to the shower injector when the engine is pulling air through harder. This set up is mega successful and is used in 1098 1198 and Panigale to great effect e.g. a 190BHP twin !!

From my experience when my 8K is well set up it will be a bit sooty due to when its idling with a closed throttle, but will pull cleanly from closed throttle without hesitation almost all of the time - (unless its been idling for too long). It burns off accumulated soot on a long run. If you do lots of short runs or "turn the engine over now and again" you will need to change spark plugs out alot..and they are non-recoverable! That might just my bike though. If you try and lean it out too much, the throttle pick up is hesitant and it is hard to start. Again have spent much time experimenting with this with all sorts of approaches including fooling the temperature sensors into thinking its warmer/colder etc. Overall the best and easiest way I have found of tuning richness/leaness is by simply rotating the TPS very carefully one way or another.

Anyway, it has a 130bhp smooth dyno trace and is very very torquey, smooth and speedy on the open road though ( 178KG dry) which means something must be right somewhere - getting it right everywhere has always been the difficult bit.

Cheers,
Zomb
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes of course... sounds like leave well alone then. Which means we should consider fun commuters that have low consumption, good speed , handling and comfort ... Now lets me (us) think ....

I have an unusual contender! My Cbr 900 early fireblade. Cheap to run, loads of fun, sound investment and as low as they will ever be to buy. Stacks of room in the boot, super comfy and set up properly will give a stonking ride! Go for a 92' 93 model.
vort28

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zombie.
Will let you know what my Santamonica gets. Will be on the road soon as the DVLA finally accepted my forms as OK, so just waiting a reg number.
Although on initial findings , it seems to run the same as yours, very sooty at tick over with the injectors throwing bucket loads of fuel in , nice to watch though bit of a party trick these shower injectors Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, if you are enjoying yourself then what the heck re mpg, make the most of the British Summer as thats probably it for this year. As a "yardstick" my Db2 only does 20-25mpg, never push it past 90miles on a tankful as thats about it before it runs dry and theres no reserve or low fuel light that I've ever seen come on, and it almost takes the full 4 gallons when I fill up. Right enough its not a standard 900cc twin, with its FCR41 flatslides, K&N's 944 big bore kit etc, but its addictive and the sucking and flapping of the juice going through the carbs seems to make the low mpg worth it... Laughing
zombie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you can't have everything, Pomps idea of an early fireblade is a good one but the temptation of 2 hours of Bimota riding per day is too much for me, whatever MPG its getting!

When the winter salt hits i will see how my budget-bimota-commuter i.e X-Raptor fares on the long runs.
vort28

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you there Zombie.
If I coulf get a few hours of good riding in on the Bim every day I would.
akito-man

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well ive ripped my right trapezius (half of my trapezium shoulder muscle) apart from agonising pain for the first 24 hrs, ive got to rest it,and take plenty of drugzz,so no bikes for a while,no work,no driving,etc etc.bored bored bored bored bored!,might catch a plane and walk the tt course!,my bike is good on fuel, no mpg,at mo,just evap per day.sheet, just taxd the r1,and wing too! loads to do,just cant! Wink
oily

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feck
tough titties Crying or Very sad
only thing to do is get your arse to the IOM Wink
Wish i could Crying or Very sad
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: