Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Sb8r new arrival
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
akito-man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you ok for fork leg space when turning bars , having the pc3 there? Mine just about streched to sit on the ecu- musta been a cable shortage!
waggy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of space there, have moved bars stop to stop and fork tubes not even close. Now if only I could fit the battery in there too Smile
akito-man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been out on her yet?
waggy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not out on her yet, she's still on the operating table; would say am over halfway there. Rads back on, valve clearances checked etc etc. Have been busy this week, so didn't get as much time in the cave as I would like; hope to have her on the road this month for sure. Can't wait for a long spin on her.

To compensate took my duck 996, which was a bit of a barn find with only 4000 miles on her, out for her maiden run after a few months on the bench. Sun was out and baking hot so took her out for a 20 mile shakedown, she's purring sweet and only a indicator bulb that died during the run.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Dear, you'll have Oily spitting fire, posting a Duc on the SB section of the Forum Laughing

But whilst its here, nice collection of Duc's, feel free to post them up in the "Other Chat" section, where most of my threads end up.......

Your 996 needs a single seat unit though and ditch those rear pegs Laughing
akito-man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice- oh yes , check the two water drain pipes on the underside( left back) of the tank point down, as condensation/ rain will back up and go off maybe causing some silly problems, one of mine had conjealed muck in it and dripped about an egg cup full of water after finding it pointing over the rear head!Wink
waggy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks akito, luckily my drain pipes are clear though a bit discoloured, might get some new tubing. I did find two rad hoses with nasty splits in them that i had to replace, both split at the jubilee clamps, assume clamps were maybe overtightened, or age and vibration related.
akito-man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the pipe section? Is it plastic or alu/steel? Good find, you can get rads at 89 euros each , second hand, mine just has the right rad on,( i have the left with fan), and it runs ok, the thermo is set around 100 degs anyway, and to be fair , the uk is colder than italy most of the riding time, not had any overheating issues yet, and mine is 1040, and higher comp, but bob( previous owner) had gone on a major weight saving mission, well ive just fitted the tunnel pipe, and that whole section weighs the same as 1standard can, then theres the hump/hanger bracket, and also he changed the battery to a high power light/smaller unit, also removing the battery box and replacing it with an alu one!Wink same as the side stand!
akito-man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh thr hoses, well id teplace them with some samcos, tls or tlr, depending on how many you need( the s has 4 hoses, the r has 7,) have a look on the bay, Wink does yours have a billet clutch cover? Coz i made contact with a chap who can do a billet one( black or alu finish with clear window and a coloured seal that has thhe suzuki s emblem on or a b instead , although this would be £50 extra for tooling set up!£200 !
akito-man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get caught in some rain and it seemed to drink it in and run rough, but maybe the pipe issue had something to do with the drain away not working! If you go for samcos, ( i was qouted £45 for an r1 pipe once, so i bought a samco full kit in red for £129), go for mikalor clamps( stainless and the best) !
waggy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alu rad pipes are fine, it was the rubber rad hose on both sides of the top connecting pipe that had split, so just cut two short lengths of new hose and replaced them. the remaining hoses are in good nick. So no samco's yet.
Thanks for info on billet clutch cover, something to mull over. Always partial to a bit of bling Very Happy
akito-man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the achilees heel with the tl motor is a weeping clutch cover, because the standard is lightweight plastic and can cause seal probs, but it needs to be light- mine is the standard lightweight cover with a plexi mod, but took 3 attempts to seal right!Wink but yes, black or alu, with a gold/ blue/ red/ silver glass rim and matching filler cap!- nice-
waggy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, finally managed to complete the bike and she's all primed for its maiden voyage after a good checking over. Will probably spend weeks pacing up and down waiting for a rain free day Crying or Very sad
brian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks sweet mate. Hope you get some good weather soon
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
waggy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that big yellow disc in the sky, finally beat a path through the rain and give us a one day summer. So got the gear on and went on a good long run.
The bike purred along perfectly, temp never rose above 52 on the open road and 65 in the villages, so can't see the fans ever having much of a role as they don't come on till 100.
Had read some reviews, that suggested that this model felt top heavy and a tendency to drop too easily into corners. Well i never found any of that and I'am only a small dog with dumpy 28inch legs! so found the saddle a bit too high and need to be wary of were I park. Also I didn't find the carbon snorkels in the way of anything.
The Pc3 and custom map do a good job, no gaps in the powerband and ticksover at 1000 no probleml, very tractable and easier to live with through town than the duc.
So only things i need to adjust is tweak the suspension to suit my 11 ounce weight and spend a week on the rack to stretch my legs.

In summary a great bike with loads of character and a great suzuki engine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: