Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Would like a new old Bimota
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bidalot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Would like a new old Bimota Reply with quote

The rebuilding of my Mantra is over.

Now I'm searching another project for my week-ends.

I saw two enboxed V-Due (0 Kms), but I think it's just a nightmare to use and service.

So, I'm considering a SB8R or a SANTAMONICA.

Have you any advice's about these bikes. What is the "market" price ?
GeeKay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget the SantaMonica's they are the poor cousin to the SB8R. Wink
The SB8R is the one to go for - a really excellent, fully sorted (PCIII + mapping), very low mileage (7000kms) bike has a market price of 9000 Euros.

Just what my SB8R would cost you. Very Happy
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bidalot . Having just bought a v-due and a Santamonica, well 3 months ago, both New-Old-Stock . Here are a few things I have learn't.

Vdue evo 2010 , 125bhp with Jolly pipes . Still looks modern, only thing that lets it down is the headlight. If you have a pulse in your body, the sound and smell will get it going.
Now done 200 miles, thing is bloody small , suspension setting out of the create are all over the place . Lots of wiring not connected, left over from the injection system , but in general, other than suffering from the usual Bimota stuff , 'were you have to strip it down to change a fuse ' , quite easy to work on and understand.

Santamonica - wanted one of these for years, and as good in the flesh as in pictures. Bike feels so well put together, but is a bit of a pain to strip. This is a superbike for the road. Carbon everything, pressurised carbon air box feed by a 3inch dia carbon ducting from the nose cone etc etc, you get the picture. Handles well out of the box, Ohlins perform fautless , it is a piece of motorcycle art !!! Very Happy
Now the bad bit. Every bloody wire on it is purple. Clocks / ecu control everything. Cambus wiring, no fuses, lots of exposed connectors. Should have a big sticker on it saying ' DO NOT GET WET ' . However still puts a big smile on my face.

If the wife told me it was her or one of them !!! I would have to pack her bags.
Pompey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only bimota lovers buy new bikes and have to call it a project!
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vort - Wish you hadn't said anything about either of them.
Pompey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a design angle I think the Santa Monica wins hands down, they look just right.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I don't know the differences between the SB8 models .... I like the black one and the Gobert paintscheme.
husson73

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bidalot V due is a very special bike and the fact you're living in Paris as me isn't very good if your bikes are also parked in Paris.
The V-due doesn't like at all riding on the town and you should foul plugs very often when you come back home on the traffic (and the bottom plug is a nightmar to change).
An other weak point for the froggies is you can't get now a french tittle for a foreign V-due so the only one you can buy is a V-due with already a french tittle.
bidalot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Husson73,

You're right. The V-due is a "diva".
Have you seen the one which is sold by a Triumph dealer in the 92 ?
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like the black one and the Gobert paintscheme.

EC - Black ones are the RS, the special version of the R, more carbon bits and machined ergal. Gobert is the SB8K as is the santamanica. Different styling and electrics. Special shower type injectors mean't to improve torque and bhp. Gorbert has Paioli USD , SM has Ohlins and radial brakes, Oz wheels. Obviously Gobert has a different paint job.

Husson73 - Had alot of issues registering the vdue in the uk also. Had to get a few letters from Peiro before the authorities would accept it as a 1998 and therefore emission exempt. Worth it in the end though. Brings a smile to my face even though it is still running in.
husson73

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bidalot haven't notice until your post and so have seen it now.
few informations, original or modified one with indirect injection, cranks and so on?
I don't search one as I already own one.
Price is too high, I think maximum price for a V-Due with french title should be around 12.000 € french V-dues over this price are never sold.
The V-due at Lyon in Le bon coin is for exemple on sales since years, actual asking price is 15.495 € and was more before around 19.999 €.

Vort: the french Bimota importator from the later 90s 1999 to 200? Gelain has send a letter (on 2004) to the french authorities on which he said the V-due is a dangerous bike and he doesn't want to deliver the paper need to have a french title.
So since this time, it's nearly impossible to get a new french title from the french authorities for a V-due coming from other countries Embarassed
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangerous ???? Shocked Shocked , that is UNBELIEVABLE.
Bikes by their nature are dangerous, but the vdue no worse than others. Maybe it is the danger of your head exploding because you are smiling to much Very Happy Very Happy

Prices in France seem quite cheap. UK price's are about the same in pounds , so roughly 14-15,000 euros.

Bidalot , for information my vdue is a carb version. Obviously had never been run, but basic clean and new fluids saw it fire up 2nd time. I think a basic understanding of 2 strokes, and a willingness to learn will be all you need to keep a vdue running. From what I have learn't so far they are reasonably reliable as long as you maintain them.
husson73

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the real reason of the letter was in fact Gelain was very angry about the V-dues who came from Italy from Pietro stock and wanted to stop such importations. Crying or Very sad
Carburators V-due can't have a tittle in France as the V-due was homologated only as injection bike.
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gelain was very angry about the V-dues who came from Italy from Pietro

That explains it a bit more, Piero is still around selling stock though luckily.

Quote:
Carburators V-due can't have a tittle in France as the V-due was homologated only as injection bike.

I have learn't a few things about France today, and none of them good. Did always wonder why you saw modified injection vdues for sale in France though, and that explains it.
oily

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="vort28"]
Quote:

I have learnt a few things about France today, and none of them good. Did always wonder why you saw modified injection vdues for sale in France though, and that explains it.

ditto Crying or Very sad
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bikes Wanted All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: