Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Idling issue
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mouth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Idling issue Reply with quote

Hey guys, Anyone had this problem with a Tesi 3D.. it wont start and idle. I can use ether to start it, but it wont maintain idle. It just started doing this this morning, after running yesterday, but it did idle really low.
waggy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry havent had that problem, will she not start and idle fast on the choke button? I can only suggest you check the obvious things like electrical connections, ht leads, plugs etc. I have had a few connection problems due to vibration.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually if ANY Ducati engine starts but won't idle, its because one cylinder isn't sparking/firing. coz of the 2 into one into 2 exhaust systems, bapur/fumes will still come out of both pipes, but give it a minute of running and simply pour a little water or wipe with a wet rag each cylinder and see if they both steam with heat. Bet you the rear cylinder header pipe is stne cold, so much so you can grab it as no ignited wxhaust fumes are coming through. Start with that and let me know the result
Mouth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i found this on the vertical coil cylinder wires:

The insulation was all degraded, and the sleeve that protects the wires was all tore up. So I have fixed the wire, but it made no difference. So I pulled the spark plugs and checked for spark and condition of the plugs. I replaced these about 500 miles ago. the two on the left are from the Horizomtal cylinder and the one on the right is from the vertical (the other vertical is just as bad) keep in mind this Tesi only has 2500 miles on it

At this point i just am at a loss. oh and to top it all off the reason why i am shy one spark plug is because i am using it to block up a damaged spark plug hole (threads are just mangled)
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Dear, if fixing the wire hasn't sorted it then the stripped thread n the plug socket sure aint going to help as it won't be getting a tight seal, and as such you will be losing compression on that cylinder, a loss of compression means that the gas and air isn't being compressed sufficiently to get a proper "bang" and ignition, and hence the idling loss issue.
You haven't siad whether all the plugs are sparking? Or whether when it does run, is the vertical cylinder header pipe getting warm/hot or just staying cold? If colder than the front (there are temp gauges you can apply to the header to check for reduction in temp) then its insufficient ignition of the fuel. You could try swopping the coils over and see if the intermittent firing switches to the front cylinder from the back
waggy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your threads, will give my wires a good check and make sure theres no insulation problems. Everything is so tightly packed in there and what with the vibration, things tend to rub. My horn wires broke out of their crimp connectors.

Heres a pic of my plugs after 1000 miles

Though my bike being an ex press bike, has had a few mods to it. There is no cats on the exhaust, and the end cans are well loud and felt light when i took them off, so suspect the factory may have tinkered with them. The air filter is a standard paper one though and well filthy.

Let us know how you get on, as 2 bims said, it could be down to compression and damaged threads.
Mouth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did get spark on the plugs, but i cant start the bike till i get the spark plug threads fixed. I do not know how or when the threads got damaged (i know i must of done it, but I have no idea when and this would be the first time i have EVER stripped out a set of spark plug threads). Ithink the wire i found was causing the problem, but i guess it fowled out thre vertical cylinder and thats what caused the problem

2bims wrote:
Oh Dear, if fixing the wire hasn't sorted it then the stripped thread n the plug socket sure aint going to help as it won't be getting a tight seal, and as such you will be losing compression on that cylinder, a loss of compression means that the gas and air isn't being compressed sufficiently to get a proper "bang" and ignition, and hence the idling loss issue.
You haven't siad whether all the plugs are sparking? Or whether when it does run, is the vertical cylinder header pipe getting warm/hot or just staying cold? If colder than the front (there are temp gauges you can apply to the header to check for reduction in temp) then its insufficient ignition of the fuel. You could try swopping the coils over and see if the intermittent firing switches to the front cylinder from the back

Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mouth,

you can buy stick on labels which change colour at different temperatures, which is a cheap way of telling your cylinder temp. I think I bought mine from e-bay but it was a while ago,

Cheers, MikeJ.
Mouth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may do that,but need to get the threads fixed. looks like il be pulling the head at this point

Mike Jennings wrote:
Hello Mouth,

you can buy stick on labels which change colour at different temperatures, which is a cheap way of telling your cylinder temp. I think I bought mine from e-bay but it was a while ago,

Cheers, MikeJ.
Shocked
Mike Jennings

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mouth

don't look like that! I was only suggesting you might be able to check the head temperatures when the bikes running to ensure the rear cylinder is warming up enough, rather than using a temperature gauge as 2bims suggested.

Cheers, MikeJ Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike, I'm too cheap for a temp gauge, I just spit on them and see if it sizzles, then get the sausages out for a Barbie......
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouth wrote:
I do not know how or when the threads got damaged (i know i must of done it, but I have no idea when and this would be the first time i have EVER stripped out a set of spark plug threads).
[/quote]

Almost know the feeling, its about the only time I don't reach for the socket set when refitting a spark plug, its way too easy to cross thread them and strip the socket, I always use me fingers, far too weak myself to strip the threads by hand, and then the torque setting at the last moment
bidalot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Jennings wrote:
Hello Mouth

don't look like that! I was only suggesting you might be able to check the head temperatures when the bikes running to ensure the rear cylinder is warming up enough, rather than using a temperature gauge as 2bims suggested.

Cheers, MikeJ Very Happy

Black oily spark plugs = too rich mixture (too much fuel) + bad combustion (the auto clean process of the spark plugs doesn't work because of a too low temperature).

My Mantra spark plugs showed the same color because of a bad ignition. Rear cylinder ignition was HS. So, I changed all ignition coils and cables. I bought new silicone NGK (with 5 ohms resistance). It's perfect and not expensive (12 euros).

To check the temperature, you don't need tools.

Just feel the heat with your hand after few seconds of running. If you can touch the pipe after 1 minute of running, you have a problem.

Be careful, normally it's very very hot ...
Mouth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what i normally do as well, and this time was no exception, but it didn't take to the threads.
bidalot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried NGK DCPR7E spark plugs (hotter than DCPR8E) ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Tesi All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: