Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB8R Fuel Pump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Spare Parts Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdcooper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: SB8R Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Any idea where I can buy one of these?
Is it used in any other vehicles?
crankcase

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRT has 4 on stock: http://bimota-teile.de/Bimota/index.html

505 872 040 Benzinpumpe Marelli komplett auch SB8K 349,00 €

I don't know how the pump is fitted on an SB8- if it's in tank- you might be able to use a similar spec BOSCH pump from a BMW or Moto Guzzi?
spec is normally 3 bar with an 8mm outlet.

I would be surprised if one of these dosen't do the job: http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/44.htm?searching=Y&sort=13&cat=44&show=20&page=2

good luck

Ian
SB8R Tuner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB8R fuel pump is a 5 Bar unit, not 3 Bar.
pdcooper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a $350 pump....

It is a Walbro....I am sure it is a $100 pump used somewhere else.

The question is where else...
crankcase

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly I think not a 350$ pump too.

I've just fitted a 'sock' to a second hand BMW K1200 pump so that it can fit in the tank of my 851, much cheaper than getting another 52mm diameter Bosch or whatever pump.

post a pic of yours so we can have a look.

I understood that even though all of the pumps listed on euromotoelectrics are rated at 3 bar they normally have a cut out a 6 bar. It could be that Bimota made use of that feature by turning up the fuel regulator. That was a racing trick also used by Ducati to get a bit more fuel in. Sounds a bit risky for a road bike though.

Best bet is to talk to a good injection shop.

If you are in the US, it at least seems that the prices you have to pay over there are quite a bit less than prices in Europe. Even for European products!

all the best
Ian
crankcase

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a search I did for Walbro pumps on the Ducati forum:

http://www.ducati851and888.com/search.php?searchid=20039

lots of info, but Ducatis run at 3 bars.
Question is- do you need a '5 bar' pump or is it down to the fuel pressure regulator??

again best to talk to a good shop I think.
SB8R Tuner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel pump puts out more than 5 Bar, how much I do not know. The fuel pressure regulator is a Weber product. The part number is RPM73 and regulates it down to 5 bar. The only reason I can think of for such a high fuel pressure is to keep the duty cycle down on the injectors.
crankcase

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducati used twin injectors per cylinder on the high spec models for racing, obviously they only had a limited time to get enough fuel in for a half litre pot making 180 plus HP per litre. Running a higher pressure helped out with that.
Sorry I don't know how many injectors are on the SB8. Could be the same problem. That's why the 5 bar.
I know the Santamonica has shower injectors, are they the only ones or is it 2 stage. My god it's complicated.
But surely the latest injectors also flow a lot more than the old Weber units.

I reckon the best way still to find a suitable pump is to talk to a good shop and get an equivalent spec one.
zombie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for info, Sb8k Gobert and SM run on just one injector per cylinder and the pressure is about 3.5 bar too, yes same as Ducati 1098, 999, 1198 (ducati actually copied the SB8K shower injectors then added two more for low speed is my guess)

The other difference is that on the 8R the FP regulator is internal to the pump assy unlike the K and the ducatis where the fuel flows out and is regulated by its passage back into the tank.

I would hazard a guess that the 8R would run fine on a lower pressure pump I would say that the high pressure is an optimistic assessment by bimota of what positive intake pressure the RAM air was going to add and hence the injectors would have to fight against ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Spare Parts Wanted All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: