Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Smoking sb7
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Smoking sb7 Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend an engine builder please? My sb7 looks like its on 40 Capstans a day. Would be interested in getting a recommendation from the Forum. The bike got an 810 cc bore only last year and has never really stopped smoking since then. The power is 110 bhp at the wheel so it goes good - but its still slow after yoy take the time to fill it up with oil! Any help appreciated. Bob :D [/b]
oily

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your woes Bob but surly it's down to who ever did the BIG BORE for you?
Not knowing the spec or what was replaced etc, it could be simple like rings or stem seals or it could be worse like a crap re-bore Shocked
Get a leak down test done, that'll tell you exactly what's what.

Easiest option would be to sell it to me and buy a less troublesome SB6.

If your prepared to travel, Roger Upperton is the gezzer you need Wink
Just google upperton racing, if I didn't build my own I wouldn't hesitate in using him Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi oily. Thanks for the reply. I did put the bike back to the original builder but it doesn't seem to be any better. He said he never found anything wromg with it but did replace the oil stem seals. I think I'd like to try someone different this time. Apart from the lil habit the bike runs really well. I bought it from Silverstone Motors after it had been bought of ebay then sold the next week to the guy at Silverstone. Thanks for the post - I'll google that contact. Cheers Bob. PS I've got a sb6 as well but I find it very vibby - almost too much to rev to the limted. Is yours the same?
oily

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, seems you have an sb6 with an issue too Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always put it down to there being no/missing grommets between the seat unit and the exhaust mounts. But instead I just use an extra bit of foam on the seat. It looks crap but it works quite well. Some one else told me it might be the carbs needed balanced but thats been done ith no improvement.
oily

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it Mk1 or Mk11?
The early SB6 had different engine mounts to the later ones Wink
Later ones had rubber bushes
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a mkII. Its a poor answer -but its a black and red one. Its been the same since I bought it about 6 years ago? I never seem to have much time to ride thrm anyway so its not too much of a problem -just a bit annoying -but I never seem to have use much more than half throttle on the oad so I just live with it. Bob? pS Is it easy to spot the difference in he mounts without taking the engine out?
oily

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours sounds like a Mk11 but bodywork does get swapped about.
Easiest way is.... does yours have a bolt hole covered by a rubber grommet half way down the outside of the frame spar?
if so....Mk11, Mk1 doesn't have these.
The biggest cock up I've seen is too long engine mounting bolts that screw in and touch the engine so all the vibes are transferred directly too the frame and bypassing the rubber mounts. Saying all that, the mk11 is only very slightly less vibey than the mk1. Never thought it to be an issue.
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Sounds like a mkII. I'll check it out when I get home. I'll also add a few photos of both bikes. The sb7 could really do with a respray. Ut I'm saving that until I get it running correctly. Cheers. Bob
oily

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right Bob..........
Pictures are mandatory, don't know how I forgot to mention that at the top of the thread Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
bob

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs with the pics. Just can't seem to load them with my ipad!! Never know if you are really lucky I might put a pic my of my zx7rr -which has a hot starting prob! But that's another story. Many thanks for all you advice. Bob
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an oil ring is worn. What pistons did you use ... and did you get the old ones back ???
bob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't know what pistons he used or did I get the old ones back. The thing is the bike runs really well but sometimes when you try and start it from hot its won't catch. The engine turns over well enough and it has a new unrated battery. it never catches. It has the 41 mm fscr flat slides and I know they can be tricky. It might be getting too much fuel when hot I don't know but none of the floats re leaking into the carbs. If you then leave it o cool it'll start fine. I've bought a set of second hand coils so i'm going to give them a try. Its been a labour of love this bike - buti ts worth it when its going but not when you are stuck at the petrol station having switched it off for fuel, then not starting for another half hour. Cheers Bob.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't be the coils. Coils usually break up inder load but not from starting.

Have a look at the plugs - you want a wet black one to find out the cylinder that's giving trouble.

The SB7 ran fuel injection so the flatslides are added to replace that. 41mm is a bit big for the engine, the 1100cc SB6 would probably run 39mm flats, so I think it's overfuelling. The SB7 used the 750 RR engine the pistons were different to the standard Suzuki road bikes ... you might have 900RF pistons which could make it easier to get parts.
bob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think have have confused the issue. I have several problem bikes unfortunately! The last post i was describing the zx7rr which i have. In the previous posts i was talking about the sb7. The porblem with the sb7 is that it smokes heavily. I got it rebored since it was smoking before - but alot less than it is now. When the guy rebored it he took it out to 810cc. It then drank oil so it looke like perhaps i may have used too good an oil?? Anyway i put itback to thr guy who then found nothing wrong when he stripped it but he did say he replaced the valve seals! Anyway it still is smoking heavily so i have given up on that guy and thought i would try the forum for a recommendation/ideas. Its the kawaker that has the hot starting probs and the flat slides. Sorry for any confusion and many thanks for you help and ideas. Bob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: