Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Another SB8R fitted with a PCIII.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Another SB8R fitted with a PCIII..... Reply with quote

After 5 years of ownership I finally decided to bite the bullet & get a Power Commander III fitted.

The bike failed to start for the past 3 months, so I took Akito Man's advice & bought some Brisk spark plugs which I got Holland Engineering Services (01296 728693 Pete Holland) to fit which fixed that issue.

Pete's brother, Ralph, runs MK Dyno which is situated on the same premises (farm outside of Milton Keynes) & he recommended that I get a PCIII fitted to really sort the bike out and remove the flat spot around 6,000rpm. Ralph is a previous SB6 owner himself & ex-Williams F1 engineer so is well aware of the 'challenges' of ownership and his bike was featured in Performance Bikes after it won 'bike of the day' at a Bim Enthusiasts Dyno day in Aylesbury several years ago (shortly before he wrote it off Shocked )

Well the results are astounding....the figures are detailed below and for comparison I have included my Honda SP1 which was also run up on the same dyno:

SB8 Max Power: 123.53 (with standard exhausts 1,450 miles)
SP1 Max Power: 121.40 (PCIII with Arrow Race Exhausts 10,100 miles)

SB8 Torque: 72.95
SP1 Torque: 71.70

The bike has improved so much I am now going to keep it after seriously considering off loading it this summer.

Overall it took around 3 hours to set up....1hr to fit the PCIII (neatly located inside the frame under the headstock) and 2 hrs on the dyno. Ralph is semi-retired and having previously worked in the F1 industry is a perfectionist, so he will spend as long as it takes to get the desired result although often this is not reflected in your bill Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Give him a call Cool

http://www.mkdyno.com/
oily

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great result, glad your going to keep her Wink

Do me a favour and fix the link please Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Seven

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link fixed Embarassed
Pompey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wise choice, if you have to think about selling then dont do it, just like overtakes you have to know!
vasculopath

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Which PC III? Reply with quote

Hi, I recently picked up an SB8RS here in the states. Has arrow pipes and fuel trimmer.

My Bike has a very abrupt on-off throttle response, that a PCIII may help. Dyno Jet does not list a PC for our bikes, is it the TL1000R one?

Thanks!
zombie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two easy things to do if you don't want to spend out on a PCIII

1) Set idle to 1.4K so the throttle never reaches the place where it falters when opening again

And/Or

2) Adjust the TPS very slightly so its a bit more rich - i.e. the TPS indicates that the throttle very slightly more open than it is.

All the best,
Zombie
SB8R Tuner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the SB8R ownership!! If your wanting to get it running like it should you will need to do more than just tweaking the TPS, increasing the idle or installing a PCIII. You need to get the stock ECU reprogrammed and some other problems fixed. I own two SB8R's and have spent the past few years working out all the bugs. There is another thread that I authored about reprogramming the factory ECU, take a look at it. Reprogramming the factory ECU will allow the correction of several issues that installing a PCIII will never correct. I am now working on making the shower injector manifold for the dual injector option I will come out with soon. Also check your air filter. I have heard of a lot of them being dry rotted.

ENJOY THE RIDE!! Very Happy
vasculopath

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the advice, and I'll look for your thread. If I do go with a PCIII, is it the TLR Unit?
SB8R Tuner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynojet does not make a PCIII for the SB8R. The people who have installed them have to adapt them to the SB8R. I have no idea which one they use.
Seven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vasculopath wrote:
Wow, thanks for the advice, and I'll look for your thread. If I do go with a PCIII, is it the TLR Unit?

My guy at MK Dyno spoke to Dynojet & they recommended the TLS unit which he duly ordered, however upon receipt the connectors were not a match for the SB8 (the TLR unit isn't either!). It didn't present a problem since he just created his own connectors which took around 45 mins, but I've since found out that the Triumph 955 PCIII is apparently the one to use with the right connectors.

I appreciate SB8R Tuner's opinion in approaching it in a different manner, although I think he said it would cost around $3,000 for the work he was suggesting compared to around £550 for PCIII.....so it depends on how much money you're willing to throw at it and whether there is a noticeable difference for the additional $2000+ cost?

It's a totally different bike now & a pleasure to ride. Let us know which option you go for.
Seven

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the evidence Very Happy

vasculopath

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Seven! Just the info I needed. I'll confirm with DynoJet. This is probably the route I will go, for the reasons you specified. Cost and Ease may trump perfection.
SB8R Tuner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you look at what you get with a PCIII, it is cheaper. But you get what you pay for. I think Seven might not understand that just tuning the ecu would not be that much. The $3000 was for a lot more work than just ecu work. I modify the entire fuel system, degree the cams, modify the throttle bodies and spend at least 20-30 hours on the dyno. So you can see why I have to charge more. But then again, you get what you pay for. Buy the way my SB8R make 130+HP. Go figure!
vasculopath

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you were in Albuquerque or Santa Fe, I would take you up on it, but it sounds like it would get complicated otherwise. I'm open to all solutions, but shipping my bike somewhere is probably out of the question, and I would prefer things I can do myself, and there are Dynojet tuners locally....so...

SB8R Tuner wrote:
When you look at what you get with a PCIII, it is cheaper. But you get what you pay for. I think Seven might not understand that just tuning the ecu would not be that much. The $3000 was for a lot more work than just ecu work. I modify the entire fuel system, degree the cams, modify the throttle bodies and spend at least 20-30 hours on the dyno. So you can see why I have to charge more. But then again, you get what you pay for. Buy the way my SB8R make 130+HP. Go figure!

Seven

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB8R Tuner wrote:
Buy the way my SB8R make 130+HP. Go figure!

I believe from your post in another thread that your SB8 makes the following.... "When I tuned my bike I got 120Hp with 72ft-lbs. of torque....The dyno system I have is a Dynomite Formula SAE unit......On the average my dyno reads 5-10 Hp less than a Dynojet model"

So assuming that's correct, at worst it's making 125bhp & best 130bhp....2 - 7 bhp increase compared to my bike (which is totally standard) depending on what you believe.....$2,000+ additional cost seems a lot for 2 bhp!

I'm always sceptical of Dyno figures since each one tends to produce different results (plus or minus whatever!) which is why I posted my Honda SP1 figures at the start of this thread that was run on the same dyno to allow for a true comparison Wink

Vasculopath: Make sure you post up your results when finalised...with arrow race pipes it will be very interesting to see the performance gain over standard Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: