Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Alternative wheels for a db4
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deebee4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Alternative wheels for a db4 Reply with quote

I would like to have an extra set of wheels for my db4. I know that there are db4's with Marchesini or Mavic wheels.

The front wheel looks quite common, I even think the front wheel of i.e. an Aprilia Mille or even my KTM Duke 690III, would fit easily, maybe only different size bearings to put in. The rear would be another thing, with the chainwheel carrier and the right width.

So anybody with experiences and/or suggestions?
oily

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dymag have a sale on their carbon fibre wheels at the moment Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
deebee4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oily wrote:
Dymag have a sale on their carbon fibre wheels at the moment Wink

No thanks, no CF wheels for me. Too fragile. Last weekend at the BSB races at Assen a CF rear wheel collapsed right before my eyes. The rider had a nasty fall, just 100 m before the finish line.
When new OK, but after a few tyre changes the risk of small cracks (caused by the tension from wringing off the tyre or the handling by the mechanic) is present.

Looking for aluminium wheels that can be fitted easily, with only minor modifications.

Anybody got ideas?
wallaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deebee4,
How about some details on the CF wheel colapse that you saw. What kind of wheels (Blackstone or Dymag or ?), any history on the wheel (had it been in an accident recently?), what specifically happened? Been ridding on CF wheels for about 4 years now on a couple of different rides. No issues and best single change one can do to a motorcycle. Details appreciated.

Thanks.
Chuck S.
deebee4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wallaman wrote:
Deebee4,
How about some details on the CF wheel colapse that you saw. What kind of wheels (Blackstone or Dymag or ?), any history on the wheel (had it been in an accident recently?), what specifically happened? Been ridding on CF wheels for about 4 years now on a couple of different rides. No issues and best single change one can do to a motorcycle. Details appreciated.

Thanks.
Chuck S.

http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/sport/9953426.MOTORCYCLING__Cox_shrugs_off_crash/

When you look at the rear wheel then you see the tyre's still on the rim, but the rim came loose from the center. We heard a loud kadeng! when he accellerated out of the final turn. And could clearly see that bits and pieces from the wheel were scattered around.

The bike was involved in a crash in the first race, he was taken out by a bike from a fallen rider. Of course I don't know if they used the same rear wheel or not.

Of course CF wheel will have a huge effect on handling. But I'm still quite weary about CF in the longer term, so I'd rather stick to light aluminium. (not magnesium either)
wallaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the description on the link you posted, it sounds like the wheel was already broken when he started the race. Continuing without getting it checked was just dumb. From what little experience I have with carbon fiber parts, they fail very differently from metal parts, particularly in applications like a wheel. Metal tends to crack with little sign of a pending problem then break catastrophically where carbon fiber tends to weaken and crack and usually gives a visual and/or mechanical sign of impending failure.

As for wheels, until you've experienced the difference in handling, accelleration and braking with a set of carbon fiber wheels, you really can't appreciate just how increadible the difference is.

Chuck S.
deebee4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wallaman wrote:

As for wheels, until you've experienced the difference in handling, accelleration and braking with a set of carbon fiber wheels, you really can't appreciate just how increadible the difference is.

Chuck S.

Getting curious....... Wink
vort28

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seem to remember some time back in the early 90's Robert Dunlop had the same issue with a magnesium wheel, so not just CF wheels.
When I was looking into wheels for my DB4 rang Marchesini enquiring about Bimota fitment, got chatting to the bloke and he said under no circumstances should their magnesium wheels be used on the road, and if I told them thats what they were for he would not sell me a pair, if they did them for Bimota, which they did'nt. He also said that all the big race teams send the mag wheels back every year to have them x-rayed and less than 10% pass, so DON'T buy second hand mag wheels.
So I bought CF dymag's.
On the fitment side, front is Ducati/Aprillia , rear ??? don't think anyone has ever found out.
deebee4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, found some pictures of former Bimota importer Bob Smith's db4. He had non stock wheels. But I suspect these are mag wheels, and I don't want those.

They're Marchesini's, but I sure would like to know from what bike these are. I might check out some Aprilia RSV Mille/Tuono wheels too. The blue ones are easy to get.

Any more suggestions?
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture of the front db4 CF dymag

with optional blue protective rim tape.

And fitted
deebee4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:

And fitted

Oh yes, they look fantastic. Doubting more and more. Are these Dymag wheels snug fit into the db4 or should there be more adjustments made? Like other chainwheel carrier or extra spacers. How's your chain wheel alignment? (Just a little better than stock is good Wink )

Finally: Where do I get them and what's the special "sales" price? Rolling Eyes
oily

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a pair through Dymag direct Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh yes, they look fantastic. Doubting more and more. Are these Dymag wheels snug fit into the db4 or should there be more adjustments made? Like other chainwheel carrier or extra spacers. How's your chain wheel alignment? (Just a little better than stock is good )

Dymags have the best fitment guide for Bimota's of any after market wheel manufactures I would say, and they come with everything you need just to slot them in, including new sprockets, just get the tyres fitted and fit them, simples.
deebee4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Quote:
Oh yes, they look fantastic. Doubting more and more. Are these Dymag wheels snug fit into the db4 or should there be more adjustments made? Like other chainwheel carrier or extra spacers. How's your chain wheel alignment? (Just a little better than stock is good )

Dymags have the best fitment guide for Bimota's of any after market wheel manufactures I would say, and they come with everything you need just to slot them in, including new sprockets, just get the tyres fitted and fit them, simples.

Great wheels, can't argue about that. Nevertheless the price is out of my budget's range. I looked at a brand new black SB8R rear wheel that I bought years ago and had stored on the attic. Except for the bearings it's identical to the db4 rear wheel. I have a new rear disc and chainwheel carrier. With the right bearings and a new distance sleeve between the bearings it's ready to be fitted into the db4.
That leaves me only to look for a front wheel. I saw one on eBay, but to me it had suffered too much. Even so: a lighter front wheel will make my handling better than the same stock item. I'll measure it up and might end up with a 3 spoke Ducati/Brembo wheel or a 5 spoke Marchesini from Ducati or Aprillia. Don't need nor use the speedo drive anyway.

Looking forward to the next season with a set of wheels with rain tyres at hand. You'll see (I hope) that I won't use them because of the nice weather everytime I'm on track. Razz
trev0006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow awesome wheels and lightweight too.

vort28 wrote:

And fitted

cheap tiresstreet cars mag wheelswinter Goodyear tiresRC electric cars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: