Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Zard Full Titanium System - DB8SP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
simmo675

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Zard Full Titanium System - DB8SP Reply with quote

Here are some pics of the Zard full system, must say this looks awesome in the flesh. I'm guessing the headers and collectors are fatter than the original system, I'll check all that when I get the install underway.

Enjoy!

Looks like the carbon heelguard will sit over the swingarm, so I can take off the double layer of red gaffer tape where my heel rubs.....

getting carried away with the arty shots Wink

I'll chuck up the install pics as they happen.
Pompey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look very trick... Very Happy
oily

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also look very expensive Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
spyv

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you'll post a video with sound, once you put them !
simmo675

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here we go, a few pics during removal:

looks a bit MotoGP, if you screw your eyes up a bit...

steampunk jellyfish? Hmmm, maybe not. Ugly lardbucket CAT? Oh yes.

Disappointing, was hoping to see the newer MOSFET type reg/rec. on a bike of this calibre. Oh well, preventative swap added to the list of things to do.
simmo675

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55mm dia. stock header

vs 63mm dia. titanium header

ta-da!

Went on fairly easily although the spacers supplied by Zard for the 3rd mount pulled the outer pipe tight against the swingarm; had to turn another set to get the inner and outer clearances right. With the oil cooler out of teh way the header nuts were pretty easy to get to.

I just added some CF sheet wrapped around the swingarm to protect against heel marks (the scuffs in the pic above are on the helicopter tape I bodged on there in a hurry, the swingarm cleaned up OK).

Bob at Bimota Spirit is helping me out with the diagnostic software, so with any luck I'll get some dyno runs in prior to PI in November. In the meantime I'll swap out that reg/rec with an FH012 and replace the OE loom connectors.
mv05 exy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark, Can you just swap over rectifiers like that? Are they specific to a model? I beleive i need a new one on my DB7 but dont really know what i need to get. Ive been having trouble with keeping charge in the battery and starting the bike, been led to beleive that its the rectifier.
Any ideas?
Perhaps if you want to sell me your old one when you replace yours with better one Laughing
tassie v2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be a bit late, but I would strongly advise that you use some reflective heat tape inside the cf belly pan where the front header is close . I got some delamination on my bike.
simmo675

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mv05 - reg/recs aren't model specific as such, but they do need to work with the alternator output; smaller/older bikes can output approx 300 Watts whilst more modern/bigger bikes tend to push out upward of 450. From memory the FH012 reg/recs will handle 50amps which is sufficent for the higher power output of the 1098/1198engine.

I've had reg/rec trouble on many bikes over the years including Hondas, so have swapped to the new FH mosfet reg/recs on all my current rides. (2 x Triumphs and Ducati 748). Triumph have just done a big warranty replacement programme for the D675 and Street Triple in the US where they straight swap to the newer Mosfet type.

The FH012 is used on the latest R1 and CBR1000RR, and that is what I will be swapping to - but you do need the right loom connectors for this type, i.e.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/R_R_Connectors/r_r_connectors.html

Jim also does wiring kits for these reg/recs, or you can get a similar kit incl. the reg/rec from the link below:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/380473042169?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Background reading on the Triumph issues (credit to Triumph675.net and 'd'ecosse'):

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35227

Hopefully these links should give you the info you need, one other handy link is UK based (I still get stuff posted over here from them) - Vehicle Wiring Products - they do the Tyco weather sealed connectors (amongst other things) used by Ducati and Bimota:

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/connectors/multiconnectors.php

Having said that these only work for the thinner gauge wires, so stick with the MetriPack 10-12 AWG connectors for the reg/rec upgrade.

I'd also advise that you solder your terminals after crimping as you dont want these connections to melt due to a poor connection.
simmo675

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey tassiev2, thanks for the tip Cool

I've got plenty of reflective tape so I'll do just that - I haven't re-fitting the bellypan yet so I'll have a look where it gets close......
tassie v2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the looks of your back tyre you've been on the track ?
simmo675

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Eastern Creek. Riding her on the road is a little frustrating Smile
mv05 exy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Simmo, thats really helpful. I've also been recommended to a company called Ricks Electrical who sell R/R's on Ebay. These are alot better in quality then the OEM ones, again, i think its a case of checking the connections are compatible.

Great post on the triumph site. very helpful.

let me know how you get on,
Rich
tassie v2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="simmo675"]Yes, Eastern Creek. Riding her on the road is a little frustrating Smile[/quote] I'd like to see some footage of you putting the 8 around the track ???
simmo675

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tassie

Heading down to Philip Island in a fortnight so i'll see what I can do Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: