Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Greetings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris27

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Greetings Reply with quote

So after 38 years of motorcycling I've got my second Italian motorbike, the first being a 1940s Ducati Cucciolo that has sat in a box for over 30 years since I picked it up, the second an SB8R.

Forgetting the Cucciolo for a moment (actually probably another 30 years) the SB8R was pretty much an impulse buy, I saw it and fell in love with it but to be honest I don't know very much about Bimotas in general, they were always considered exotic and unreachable for me but this one came up at the right time so it's now sat in the garage.

I have little idea about how I'm going to look after the Bimota elements of the bike, the engine is no problem, but what, if any, Bimota parts are available? I'd like to replace the lower left and upper right fairings because they are cracked but are these available? I'm also a little concerned that I can't seem to track down a service manual, at the very least I like to know some of the key torque settings. I dare see I'll find the answer to this problem somewhere on this forum but if anyone has a pointer I'd be very grateful. All I need right now is some sunshine, I don't do rain.......

Cheers,

Chris.
djt77

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations and welcome to the Bimota club.

The SB8 is one of the more popular models and there are quite a few owners on here who know the bikes inside out so will be able to help I'm sure.

With regards to spares especially fairings, best bet is to keep an eye on ebay, Uk, Germany, US etc along with the spares section as they do come up.
djt77

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations and welcome to the Bimota club.

The SB8 is one of the more popular models and there are quite a few owners on here who know the bikes inside out so will be able to help I'm sure.

With regards to spares especially fairings, best bet is to keep an eye on ebay, Uk, Germany, US etc along with the spares section as they do come up.
oily

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum....
You'll have no problem finding the information you need as there are a fair few owners on this forum with the information you need Wink
Where in Wiltshire are you? Not too far from Pompey I'll wager Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
waggy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the SB8R. I have never seen a workshop manual but have a copy of the parts manual if that is any use. Spares are few and far between, but do come up now and then as mentioned, so its more make and mend. might be worth considering repairing the cracks.
Chris27

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just down the road in Devizes, 16 miles to Marlborough give or take a bit
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it must be the season for new ownership! Nice choice Chris, always plenty of help and advice here and always up for ride outs. Where are you?
crankcase

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Chris

you can find some parts here:

http://bimota-teile.de/Bimota/index.html

Ersatzteil on the left navi, then click on SB8

or here

http://www.bimota-parts.de/bimota-teilekatalog?page=shop.browse&category_id=14

you have to ask for fairing prices though.

all the best
Ian
Chris27

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quote from the guy in Germany for the fairing parts but his parts were second hand and I hoped to find new if possible. Maybe that boat sailed off over the horizon a long time ago? Mind you I am looking at minor cracks but you know how it is with a new bike.

I was one of the lucky sods who bought at Stafford, I only went into the auction to look at the EvoBlade and CBX but fell in love with the SB8R, sad history though......

Buying at an auction was a first for me and not being able to hear the bike or check the mileage etc. was a worry, the bike hadn't been run since 2006 so the battery was completely flat, wheeling it away a hour after bidding on it was weird. But a few drops of oil down the plug holes and half an hour trying find the battery so I could hook up a car battery all was well, especially when I discovered the bike has only done 370 miles! I think the couple of bodwork cracks were maybe casued by a heavy handed muppet fitting the alarm system or when the bike was serviced. I can't wait for summer Surprised)
bimotanige

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the forum, nice to see another bike with the right number of cylinders Very Happy
crankcase

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspected that you were one of the lucky ones.
well done for going and sticking your neck out.
Looks like you really got a good bike for 'little' money
Ian

PS DRT might be able to get new parts from the factory if you ask- they take time to reply sometimes.

ZTK are pulling some parts out of their stock at the moment too, such as this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Seitenverkleidung-rechts-Bimota-YB-11-ohne-B-/370667289077?pt=Motorrad_Kraftradteile&hash=item564d7df9f5

they are also worth asking, but the prices are quite high.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not get some Plastex and sort the cracks out, then you can look for bodywork at your leisure.

See if it's got a power commander - if not you might need one, the SB8 seems to over fuel
Chris27

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No power commander fitted, are they a must for the SB8R?

Not heard of Plastex, I feel a google coming on.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.repairproducts.co.uk/index.htm all manner of stuff on there. I use plastex on normal fairings but you can use it on the fibre bimota stuff too, use some of the woven matt to strngthen it and suff the inside to give a key.

I don't own a SB8 but it seems to be that fuelling isn't to special. You can use a PC3 for a triumph and get a dyno to either install a stock map or have one adapted. Have a search through the SB forum and find where the dyno was that did it .... it might be better than a local place starting from scratch. It's possible to have the ECU reprogramed but I percieve it will be more expensive. Of course the throttle bodies need balancing and the engine set up at the same time ... or before Wink
oily

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bimotanige wrote:
welcome to the forum, nice to see another bike with the right number of cylinders for a lawn mower Very Happy

Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: