Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB8R TPS, Fueling and Service Manual

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petrolhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: SB8R TPS, Fueling and Service Manual Reply with quote

Hi,

I just came back from Jerez and had a great time other than the fueling on the SB8 was all over the place. Some sessions not bad, some bloody awful.

It showed two major issues

1. Really bad behaviour from no-throttle to any throttle, made slow corners very hard - cured a little by turning the tick-over up.

2. Inconsistent fueling around 6-8K revs. It would sometimes faulter bigtime going through this range.

A new map was uploaded by NLM 2 years (750 miles!) ago, and it did run ok then. I figure the thing may just need the TPS and Throttle balance adjusted again, and maybe often.

Hence the question does anyone have a service manual I could copy or buy.

Thanks

Chris

PS. In a straight line I reckon it's on par with a regular 1098. Round corners it's all in the rider, so mine's not that quick!
madasfook

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hand book but it does not tell you that much , mine hase been fine the only problem i have ever had was with the fuel line giving up the will to live and the quick action coupling fell to bits .
I have found mine is very rough when cold and imposible to ride untill its warmed up thens is very smooth then again it is very low miles .
GavleStefan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you solve the problem with the coupling? Idea
Mine just decided to fall apart yesterday night.
Crying or Very sad

Stefan
madasfook

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a new one from halfords , but had to chop around the pipe work to make it fit . had to remove all the press fit seals to release the fuel banjo then made up a new line with qulity hose, but mine went on the tank end so i only had to replace one line
zombie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the TPS. I don't know if this applies to the RS or the R but the SB8K I have had 2 major problems, which might also account for your problems??

A) TPS opposite voltage gradient/profile: Setting up the TPS - the TPS voltage changes fast on small throttle openings and slow on big throttle openings. Not sure why it does this as it is opposite to normal bikes!! It means you have to be very very careful how you set up the TPS AND any corrosion/poor connections will screw up your small throttle opening fuelling.

B) The TPS molex connector was corroded and was causing a voltage drop. I removed this completely but cutting it out, and then soldered the wires together. This helped a lot.
zombie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another couple of tips based on my limited SB8K experiences.

a) Make sure that the water in the Rad covers the temperature sensor. If it doesn't then the fuelling is going to be out it will be too rich or lean - specially noticeable on days when the temperature is extreme.

b) Don't know if this works for the RS but for my K, I bought the Iridium version of the spark plugs. These made a really big difference considering how easy it was.

c) You should definitely be able to fit a PCIII, tap into the TPS voltage sender, unplug the injector connectors plug them on the PCIII connectors, plug in the PCIII Connectors.

I don't think it would help all that much though - just might compensate for something else which is not set up correctly eg TPS.

Does anyone have the factory procedure for setting the TPS - I use best guess+trial???
zombie

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...a couple of things to mention more specific to SB8R,

a) the TPS is easily knocked around when pursuading the tank back on, its a very tight fit by the TPS.

b) the TPS cable and connector can get fouled/chewed and moved around by the throttle linkage if the connector is left to float around so best to move it out of the way with a cable tie.

If the TPS cable fouls the throttle linkage, the throttle may be sluggish and/or stuck open - bearing in mind there is no "push" cable, just a pull cable which relies on the throttle spring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: