Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Buying advice for SB6R
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed_is_dead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Buying advice for SB6R Reply with quote

Hello all.
Another candidate joining up with aspirations of Bimota owership, question is am I up to ownership??
Im hoping ye lot can let me know, apologies in advance of its been covered a million times already Wink .

Im after an SB6R and...

How hard are they to do a basic service on? I read engine drop to change clutch and or plugs? Is that the ball ache i imagine it to be? With the gixer 11 mill in there im more than happy longevity/reliability wise but can the cam covers come off with her in the frame.

Are finnickey chassis bearings available still?

Tank is also carbone yeah? Is it running a pump and is it in tank? Any sealing or delamination issues with it?

Seems the clocks seems prone to failure, any advice here?

The self supporting carbon frame, im guessing it doesnt crash well. Is it prone to cracking, anything else to be aware of re this.

Lots of negativity on the antera wheels. Is it just the weight or are they soft too?

The electrics, are they jap or Italian? Any prone areas here?

Feel free to add anything else thats relevant or something that should be checked on a potential purchase.

Other concern i have is the ergos. Just how good or bad is it. Im 6 foot and not exactly a lightweight and have found a mille and gsxrk5 to be less than ideal in the past Embarassed . Pre 04 fireblades and blackbirds tend to fit, can anyone shed any light on on a comparison in terms of comfort.

Sorry for the multitude of queries, thanks in advance for any and all info lads, cheers.
EID
oily

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying advice for SB6R Reply with quote

ed_is_dead wrote:
Hello all.
Another candidate joining up with aspirations of Bimota owership, question is am I up to ownership??
Im hoping ye lot can let me know, apologies in advance of its been covered a million times already Wink .

Im after an SB6R and...

How hard are they to do a basic service on? I read engine drop to change clutch and or plugs? Is that the ball ache i imagine it to be? With the gixer 11 mill in there im more than happy longevity/reliability wise but can the cam covers come off with her in the frame.

Are finnickey chassis bearings available still?

Tank is also carbone yeah? Is it running a pump and is it in tank? Any sealing or delamination issues with it?

Seems the clocks seems prone to failure, any advice here?

The self supporting carbon frame, im guessing it doesnt crash well. Is it prone to cracking, anything else to be aware of re this.

Lots of negativity on the antera wheels. Is it just the weight or are they soft too?

The electrics, are they jap or Italian? Any prone areas here?

Feel free to add anything else thats relevant or something that should be checked on a potential purchase.

Other concern i have is the ergos. Just how good or bad is it. Im 6 foot and not exactly a lightweight and have found a mille and gsxrk5 to be less than ideal in the past Embarassed . Pre 04 fireblades and blackbirds tend to fit, can anyone shed any light on on a comparison in terms of comfort.

Sorry for the multitude of queries, thanks in advance for any and all info lads, cheers.
EID

Much easier to work on than than eairlier SB6
Don't lnow what you mean with "chassis" bearings
The tank is a plastic Acerbis
Fuel pump in the air box. most people throw them away and run without
Clocks are very fragile. WHEN they give up, fit an after-market dash
self supporting rear bodywork NOT prone to cracking
Antera wheels are very strong.......and very heavy
Electrics ore good
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
stockcar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

touching large pieces of wood Laughing

have had mine for 2 seasons now and not had any issues (although i haven't done huuge miles anyhows
basic servicing is fine and plugs are easy peasy with tank off - had shock, etc. all sripped out for o/haul and re-grease of bearings, etc. last winter and fairly straightforward to work on - even bled the clutch insitu although i do have the advantage of a pressure bleeding system
ed_is_dead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying advice for SB6R Reply with quote

Many thanks Oily.
How do you rate comfort or lack thereof. Ive not even sat on one yet but the saddle looks as high as the bars. Would/could you draw a comparison with any other bikes in this regard? Not bothered by hard seat its the peg to seat and ass to bars ratio im after info on.

Re the servicing, what needs an engine dropped for access may i ask?

Nice one with the pump. Does the acerbis tank warp much, does on my capo, bloody ethanol.

Sorry i was trying to sound fancy by sayin chassis bearings Laughing
Swingarm pivot, head races, suspension linkage, wheel and cush bearings yadyada, they unobtainium or standard fare? I read the head race is a weird one to accomodate adjustable offset or something hence the query Confused

Shame the clocks go, that cockpit vista is pure sex with those clocks and the lush milling.
oily

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying advice for SB6R Reply with quote

ed_is_dead wrote:
Many thanks Oily.
How do you rate comfort or lack thereof. Ive not even sat on one yet but the saddle looks as high as the bars. Would/could you draw a comparison with any other bikes in this regard? Not bothered by hard seat its the peg to seat and ass to bars ratio im after info on.

Re the servicing, what needs an engine dropped for access may i ask?

Nice one with the pump. Does the acerbis tank warp much, does on my capo, bloody ethanol.

Sorry i was trying to sound fancy by sayin chassis bearings Laughing
Swingarm pivot, head races, suspension linkage, wheel and cush bearings yadyada, they unobtainium or standard fare? I read the head race is a weird one to accomodate adjustable offset or something hence the query Confused

Shame the clocks go, that cockpit vista is pure sex with those clocks and the lush milling.

...Comfort is excellent although mine has straight bars Laughing
Seat is comfy, pegs are a good position. Long wide tank is a bit of a reach across, perfect for a 6 footer.
Tank is good, no warpage
All bearings available, pretty sure the headstock is not adjustable, that was the early SB6
Only need to drop the engine for the clutch on the 6r
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
ed_is_dead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most excellent, im beginning to think she might be a plausible notion for a humble garage fiddler like me to own. I cant afford garage rates so its a big concern being able to do the basics.

Have i exhausted my question quota or can i hit ye with some more>? Embarassed Laughing

The headlight? Is it any use at being a headlight, seems to be a projector for dipped yeah?

If your looking at one what do you watch for and likewise on a test ride?
Thanks again for the data!
oily

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect choice for home maintenance and it shoulden't need much being a non Italian engine Wink

Not even close to your quota of questions.

The headlight, don't know but couldn't be worse than the 6.

checks are the same for most other proper bikes but the frame and bodywork, obviously are not easily replaceable Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
ed_is_dead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delighted to hear that Oily. Tbh if i cant sort it myself im pretty limited thereafter so thats all great news. I hear ya on replacing major components but sure thats horses for courses and ive had a few odd ball yokes in the past of a similar vein Wink

Can i ask whats the handlings like on a stock example?
Oversteer, neutral or understeer?
Does she carry the weight high or low, flop or roll into turns?
How is she midcorner?
Will it slap over bumps at speed?
Is the bike sprung for an anti pasta or pizza diner Embarassed ?

Also what are the brakes like, do the discs tend to warp much?
Are fork seals/bushes available?
Is a hugger unobtainium?
Does she run a gsxr ecu or a bimota brew?

I know....im taking the p1ss with the 20 questions but sure if your ever over here il buy you some pint Laughing
oily

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_is_dead wrote:
Delighted to hear that Oily. Tbh if i cant sort it myself im pretty limited thereafter so thats all great news. I hear ya on replacing major components but sure thats horses for courses and ive had a few odd ball yokes in the past of a similar vein Wink

Can i ask whats the handlings like on a stock example?
Oversteer, neutral or understeer?
Does she carry the weight high or low, flop or roll into turns?
How is she midcorner?
Will it slap over bumps at speed?
Is the bike sprung for an anti pasta or pizza diner Embarassed ?

Also what are the brakes like, do the discs tend to warp much?
Are fork seals/bushes available?
Is a hugger unobtainium?
Does she run a gsxr ecu or a bimota brew?

I know....im taking the p1ss with the 20 questions but sure if your ever over here il buy you some pint Laughing

Firstly, where in Ireland are you...I'm having that pint Laughing
Late GSXR ecu
Fork seals/bushes are obtainable
Hugger quite rare
Brakes second to none, heard of discs cracking but never experienced it
Handling...once you get it set up for you......subliminal Wink

All in all, easy to work on, very reliable, handles a dream......get one... then you'll wonder why you've wasted half your life riding other mediocre bikes Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
ed_is_dead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All sounding great, last question for the day, can the front sprocket be changed with the engine in frame also? Now il wait till one min after midnight for the next questions hehe.
Ps im down the south Oily, Cork to be inexact Smile
oily

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no...you have to swing the engine on the front mounting to get at the front sprocket Wink
Ask as many questions as you want after midnight but someone else can answer them Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
brian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the questions coming EID, I don't have any answers for you but it's interesting reading oily's responses. I've never seen a 6r in the flesh but i've heard that they are a lot easier to work on than the 6. I haven't dropped the engine on my 6 yet but have a list of jobs to do when i get around to dropping it.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
ed_is_dead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Oily. Thats a drag about the front sprocket Crying or Very sad Then again maybe its not so much a big deal?
Brian cheers for the offer of advice mate.
How long have you your sb6r? What work have you done to her and by any chance have you worked on the clutch slave? Im wondering is access to the nipple and banjo obstructed also?
brian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_is_dead wrote:
Cheers Oily. Thats a drag about the front sprocket Crying or Very sad Then again maybe its not so much a big deal?
How long have you your sb6r? What work have you done to her and by any chance have you worked on the clutch slave? Im wondering is access to the nipple and banjo obstructed also?

I have a 6 not a 6r. Similar but the 6r seems to be a bit more maintenance friendly. I've been able to bleed my clutch at the slave in-situ but it's impossible to remove the slave without at least partly removing the engine. The slave and clutch discs are 2 of the jobs on my list when eventually drop the engine. Trouble is getting time to do it as one of the drawbacks of living in Australia is... too much good riding weather Laughing Laughing Laughing
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
oily

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_is_dead wrote:

Not a problem....
Not an issue really with the front sprocket. Buy a quality sprocket and your good for 30,000 if you look after the chain Laughing
takes 1/2 hour to drop the engine, you then put a new front sprocket on, check the slave and clutch...good for another couple of years Wink
From experience, if you've got issues with the slave leaking, it's because it's worn out and no amount of seal kits will resurrect it. Put a new slave on it because unless you break your wrist in 3 places and make a special spanner or your names Evilchicken, then no you can't bleed the slave in situ. You can get to the banjo ...but ...it's not on top of the cylinder so no good for bleeding:wink:
GSXR 1100 engines are absolutely bomb proof.....unless....it's been owned by a primate who likes to tinker. There's nothing that can't be put right and they are a joy to ride. Have you got one yet? Laughing
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: