Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB6 Tesi DB10 Owners Chain on swingarm rubbing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocketrod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: DB6 Tesi DB10 Owners Chain on swingarm rubbing Reply with quote

Just wondering if any D66 owners can give any advice on the chain from wearing out the plastic guard on the swingarm I do have the chain tensioned as per the manual and there is only 2000klm on the bike and the guard is just about wrecked I think the Tesi and the DB10 have the same swingarm as well any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Rod
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhmm,,,that sounds a strange one. Are you tensioning the chain and checking the adjustment whilst sat on the bike? Better to do it that way with the way that Bimota set the swinging arm off the engine casings.

I've a Db5R that has same set-up as DB6, engine and rear suspension, and no real issues at 3,000miles on the chain guard.

Could only suggest that the chain is well lubed, I imagine in Oz the chain lube dries out pretty quickly. Have you adjusted the rear "sag" for your rider weight? If it has an Ohlins theres also a ride height adjuster, all can have a bit of an effect on how much your chain rubs.

If needing a new one, Armin of DRT Schneider seems able to get pretty much anything for old and new Bimotas.
rocketrod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the reply the manual says to tension the chain on a rear stand with 25mm-35mm play between the two sprockets I did have all the preload of the rear shock and had about 13mm free sag bike under its own weight when taking the bike off the stand it took about half the play out of the chain as soon as I sat on the bike the chain would become very tight,I have now wound pre load on and adjusted the chain tension to 25mm free play and am going to see how this goes.The problem is I only bought the bike a month ago with 2000klm on it and the pastic chain guard is just about through to the swingarm if I give the chain any more tension than the minimum 25mm it just rubs on the chain guard severly,thanks for the parts supplier as well much appreciated I will give them a go.

Rod
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the part you need.

506 163 100 Kettenschleifer Schwinge siehe DB6 59,90 €

Translates as Chain grinder rocker see DB6

email Armin at info@bimota-teile.de

He seems to be able to get hold of anything with links to the factory as he is an Official Bimota Dealer

He only takes money via bank transfer, no paypal or visa etc, but is a trusty old sole so no problems. The sag you should measure with the bike upright and then with yourself on it, and its that difference you need.

I'll have a look through the DB6 workshop manual, and Db5 workshop manuals as I have both of these.

I always measure the chain tension when sat on the bike, as this is how you will ride it naturally, and it sounds like you have it set for off the bike, and as you say, it tensions up when you sit on the bike, with the right slack the chain will "pull" itself off the chain slider as soon as the drive is ingaged the slack will be taken up, what you don't want is too much tension as it puts pressure on that front sprocket and the bearing and drive shaft, you need the slack.

In the Interim you could try "filling" the worn chain guard with epoxy mortar, back to its proper size, you really don't want the swinging arm tubes taking the chain against them
rocketrod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that I have already resined up the old protector as I am paranoid of the swingarm and should have a new one shortly plus I have just ordered one of Armin as well, I will set the sag sitting on the bike as you said the only problem I have is as soon as I give it any more adjustment than what it currently has 25mm me off the bike the chain starts to rub again will give it a go I am also going to speak with the service dept here in Aus today see what they can tell me.

Thanks again will let you know where we end up.

Rod
rocketrod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not the actual chain slider either that is the problem it is the swingarm protector that little black plastic round piece that goes around the swingarm part number 506363070.

Regards

Rod
polyesterpig

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help avoid this in the future you can get a 1 tooth bigger front sprocket and 2 teeth bigger in the rear sprocket. Will require a longer chain.
2010 Ducati Hypermotard evo SP
2000 Bimota DB4ie BiPosto
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: