Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB8K disaster

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zombie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: SB8K disaster Reply with quote

Thought I might as well share this in the hope of some group therapy. My sb8k whose silencer caught fire and burnt its tail off, has been B Cat written off as it has been judged structurally damaged. This means it has to be broken up. This is a bit sad, not the least reason being that scouring the internet I only see SB8Ks around 20-30k Euros. Mine was #2 of 50 so its a piece of history too.

If anyone knows of any sb8ks for sale for under 8k (my currently estimated insurance payout) Sad I'd like to know.

Thanks a lot
Louis
jlsb8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: sb8k disaster Reply with quote

Sorry about your bike. Did you save any of the parts.?? I have #13(still brand new).
zombie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise it was going to be scrapped so the only parts i have left are my spares which I hope to keep in case I manage to find another.

How do you stop yourself from riding your new SB? too much temptation! I rode mine in all weathers even snow and it was quite practical most of the time, just fouled plugs a fair bit

Kind regards
Louis
jlsb8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got it 2 weeks ago. I've been working everyday since. Took one full day to get all the stickers off and prep it nice. I put 22k miles on my SB8S. Great bikes. Never thought I would get a K. Always wanted one but couldn't afford it. Now I have it, but no time to ride it!!
zombie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow-so there are still some out there, may I ask where you got it from? Got mine from NLM in 07 but they don't deal with bimota any more.

Good luck with the bike. Let me know if you get any funnies you need a 2nd opinion on, plus I have an e-parts book which is quite useful that I can send over email.

Kind regards
Louis
jlsb8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, got mine from a dealer in NY. Bimota Spirit has a few USA and Euro spec Santa Monicas left at great prices. Bob Steinbuglar is a great guy to deal with. Give them a call or email them. Tell them Joe in Florida sent ya!!
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't you buy the bike back from the insurance company?
they usually sell them off cheaply - and even if it can't be put back on the road, it would make a great (and unusual) track bike.
zombie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, I will check that out. I was told by law it had to be broken if it was a Cat B write off.

I was sure I could put it back together again anyway, got a quote for parts from Bimota UK, at about 5k. Could get everything except fuel pump bits and thats on back order, so was a shock to hear it was not coming back.

All the best
Louis
andyxxdiane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Remember that you paid for your insurance cover and you are in control...you purchased a service from them.
You can ...if you wish cancel the claim if you think this is better for you, saving your excess...or you can demand from them that you keep the salvage and take a cash settlement for the difference.
Andy
Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zombie wrote:
Thanks for the tip, I will check that out. I was told by law it had to be broken if it was a Cat B write off.

It is a bit iffy. It is an insurance industry thing which they try to make sound like is a legal restriction.

I do know of people getting cat a bikes back on the road.

There is an insurance industry brochure about it which does mention inspections to get them back on the road.

All the best

Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: