Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Db2 'cafe racer' for Glemseck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankcase

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Db2 'cafe racer' for Glemseck Reply with quote

only because I've got nothing else to do : ))

Can't get the idea of the Cafe DB2 for the Glemseck sprint out of my head.
So as I had the bodywork off for the belt change and valve check- first time I've done desmos with engine in frame and heads on !
(got to check the 851 next Shocked )

here's the link to the Glemseck thread if you don't know what that is
http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2006

Biggest problem will be getting in- there are only 32 places and I heard about 150 people entered last year- so the bike might have a chance because it's unusual?? and gorgeous of course.

naked photos

needs to be street legal- so I'm going to make a very minimal seat unit- just enough to hold the licence plate, indicators and a rather natty 1960's BSA tail light with fins on it.
Then some fixings for the front indicators and maybe some mini mirrors clipped onto the ends of the handlebars.
THE CRANKCASE. COM logos on the tank, for that professional touch . .
Actually a Manx Norton style tank strap would be nice to hold the tank on properly- aqcross the tank between the airbox and the tank for a 50's cafe racer touch.
I did think about fitting a round headlamp, but quite honestly I can't be bothered and I don't need to go completely retro.
Looking at the pic- it might be time to change the rear brake fluid too.

Unfortunately they have dropped the 50cc class so the Gitan can stay in the shed unless I need it as a pit bike.

Last years winner was on a stripped 750SS (belt) so technically I've got a chance to win.
fingers crossed to get accepted and no disasters.
GeeKay

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a plan - I take it the rear light ex-BSA is from a Rocket 3?
keep us updated.
crankcase

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Garry
no idea what's the light is off, except I seem to remember something that it's a BSA- got it with a load of parts, years ago.
Went out to meet some old Honda colleagues Monday night- so took the DB2 and Brigitte on her Clubman. Everything working brilliantly : )
It'S quite hard to get the monocoque off again to start modelling the seat unit . . . but it has to be done.
I should really sand back the YB4 first . .
crankcase

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it's not completely finished, as usual, still need to connect up the electrics and a few detail things- mirrors not arrived yet.
But the application deadline is this week- so I took some pics and sent them off.
I'm convinced that I won't get in because I just found that the bikes should be 'classic styled' so my 'non round' headlight is going to kill it ?

for all it's worth,

how I made a cafe DB2 in 3 weeks . .

wrap the bike in clingfilm, always a good start.

get some modelling clay on

3 days of modelling

tyre changing machine turns up- brilliant

layer of fibreglass tissue with resin to get a base

filler and sand between the layers to keep it smooth

prepare all the glass for the next layers, woven drapes better.

do that for a couple of days or until you run out of resin and have to order some more.

rip the bits off and dig the clay out from inside

try them on for size

in the meantime start covering the other parts with seat leather- because I decided that's how it's all going to be done

push the bike out to get an idea how it's going to look

make a plug in the filler hole for the filler cap before skinning up

and that's about it really, haven't covered the seat yet, because the suede imitation that I bought doesn't stretch, so there's going to have to be some stitching going on.
And I would like to do the tank again because I did it on my own- with a couple of helpers, we might be able to stretch it down a bit further and avoid the cuts on the side of the tank- looks worse in the photos than reality, but it really should be better . . .

just got to wait and see if I'm accepted

try to get back to other important things in the meantime . .

I might be looking for a pit crew, team, brolly girls etc for the 31st August, if you plan to be around the Stuttgart area.

Ian
crankcase

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I expected . .

I'm out, well at least I don't have to finish it- returned to original tricolore spec already last week, which is how I prefer it : )

I'll be in Glemseck anyway, because it's brilliant- watching the 'round headlight' sprint amongst other things : ))

Wondering what to take . . . Hailwood maybe . . .
oily

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad
Their loss
Rolling Eyes
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Vince186

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicely done. Cool
bimota_rider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeat after me:

I'm an ARTIST, DAMN IT!!!! Wink
'98 Bimota SB6R #000016 "Sweet 16"
Built 5/97

2014 Suzuki Hayabusa

2001 BMW R1100S
crankcase

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was there anyway, brilliant weekend, lots to see- especially the cafe racer (round headlight and spoked wheels) sprint : )
There just doesn't seem to a class that I can enter- unless they invite me for the International sprint- ride anything you like, but only celebrities by invitation.
I could put the Hailwood in the Classic Sprint, but I don't like to abuse the clutch that much : (
There was already a standard Honda Clubman in the Cafe Sprints this year with lady rider, so lost my chance there : )
It's down to the Gitan then . . .
anyway:

I saw 3 other DB2s there, all painted and modified, this one with a 1000cc fuel injected engine and carbon fibre bodywork.

Very nice SB3, which took part in the Classic Sprints.

needs to have a race number though.

Nina Prinz wheelying her Katana in the International sprints- she came second in the end.

The funky South Garage stand, which became a club in the evenings with some very cool music.

As well as a stage show- these are the TT Syndicate from Portugal, which were excellent, playing rock 'n' roll and rockabilly.

Ola Stenegärd, chief designer from BMW with the Concept Ninety in the Show Runs.

Best BMW of the weekend though must go to this,

Cool streamliner was built especially for the Cafe Sprints, excellent stuff.

more on the website as usual.
How about doing a tea party run down to Glemseck next year?
enjoy
Ian
brian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the pics Ian! I don't get to see lovely things like that around here. Guess i'll have to venture further abroad one of these years. Maybe i'll have slip over and borrow one of the many (many, many) bims around 2bims area and join in on the tea party ride one year Smile
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
crankcase

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be cool Brian.
does Steve know about that yet ? : )

Thinking about meeting at mine for the tea party next year then riding down to Glemseck together- make a change.
But it would miss Schottenring . . .
'til the next one
Ian
brian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crankcase wrote:
that would be cool Brian.
does Steve know about that yet ? : )

He probably wouldn't miss one Wink
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre probably right Brian...its taken me a good few months to recall what I have,,,and Woe betide me...I often forget about the V-due when listing...probably coz its not a "DB"...Ol' Vdue makes up for my faux pas though every time I open the garage and it takes my attention...begging to be taken out...even though I had predecided on something else...just cant help myself....like marrying the sensible sister...but wanting to ride the mischevious "bad" one... Laughing
CNC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crankcase this looks like quite interesting event... Maybe next year...
crankcase

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Jure
brilliant event, cannot recommend it more for the atmosphere and fun factor.
Spa Bikers Classics is better for bikes, if you like racing.
Best to go to both : )
I'm off to Hockenheim for the classic races this weekend- bikes and cars including historic Formula 1 which is nice to see close up.
all the best
Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: