Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

HB2 restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud977

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! Glued frame - that's interesting. What did you have to glue?

All the milled aluminium parts look to be in good condition. I can imagine it would be nearly impossible to restore them back to an original finish if they were corroded.
waggy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically you clue were the frame meets the alloy, though when i stripped the bike the frame had not been glued, by previous builder, so wether its critical is a debate.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Critical or Lucky??? Lucky for you for stripping Down ease...and lucky for Howard that it stayed together when he owned and rode it.....At least its sorted now and probably wont be aprt again for another 25 years?
waggy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky howard didnt come a cropper with the rear shock, stainless steel had been used on shock mounts and for tie rods, all 6 bolts were bent, some badly. Have proper hi strength bolts for rebuild.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Er MRs.....He says quickly running to the garage to check the Db1 that also came from Howards garage at one time....

Where do you get your High strength bolts from then? It does look like you renew every single bolt on your rebuilds...would like to find a good source of Quality steel in these days of many many poor suppliers of poor metal out there....
waggy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, am too much of a cheapskate to change every bolt. Am lucky that i have a great engineering shop nearby that i get a lot of my bolts and bearings from. Any good engineering shop should be able to point you in the right direction.
brian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking fantastic waggy. The old colour scheme was an eye catcher, but the newly painted engine covers look amazing. Red frame looks sweet too. Must admit, i also have a few kitchen utensils put to good use in my shed. Strange thing is the mrs never wants them back when i'm finished with them Smile

Keep up the good work
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
waggy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brain, the original colour scheme is so much better than the blue/yellow that I started with. finally got the beast on two wheels again. The previous owner had uprated the suspension by fitting a Maxton rear shock and revalving the front forks, so that's one less job to do, still a million things to do though.

bimotanige

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good - so similar to the SB4. Going back up the posts I think the tie rod bolts bend as it is really difficult to get them to exactly an equal length so one or the other takes the load.? The ones that bent on mine were from the same side.
On a different note have you ever had to refill the oil on your pump up workbench as mine only goes up half way now. Sad
waggy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nige, yup all my tie rod bolts were bent, some more than others, it didn't help with them being stainless. Have made sure the tie rods are pretty equal and with new bolts, now up to the job. Reckon the sb4 and hb2 are practically clones of each other, a case of spot the difference Smile
No problems with my workbench yet, touch wood.
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good Waggy
another fine resto. Love the colour!
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the colour scheme going all back to original for the Bodywork? Or is it going modern like these wonderful shots of the HB4????

http://www.generalmoto.it/gallery_desc.asp?id_foto=64&id=10&id_cat=10#gallery
waggy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colour scheme going back to original, cant see hb4 scheme working on old lines.
bluedog59

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, regarding glueing the frame. I didn't glue mine when I rebuilt it. In fact I actually greased the alloy side plates before I put them back as I think the glue is more to cushion between the 2 parts and stop corrosion.
I ran it round, including abroad for several years with no problems and that was with an ex-works/RSC 996 Honda engine in.
BTW. The bike looks shweeeet.
Bud977

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. It's bad practice to use two types of joining mechanisms, if neither of them can take the full load. For example, if the bolts loosened, can the glue take all the load? If so, why have the bolts in the first place?

I'd say the bolts take all the load and the glue is a cushion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> HB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: