Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

HB2 restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankcase

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bolts might just be psycological- I read that Bimota rivetted the wheels just for peace of mind, even though the glue was strong enough by itself.
The bolts could help with the location.
Whatever it is- the system seems to work ok.
great job waggy, nice to get a classic Bimota back to how it should be.
Ian
waggy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have decided to update some controls, the old ones were a bit worn and past there sell by date.

For the clutch lever I wanted a span adjustable lever, so found a Kawasaki zxr600 a nice fit, it also comes with microswitch if required. Just needed to swap over cable adjuster as kawa adjuster was too small for Honda ferrule.

For Brake master cylinder, it came from an aprilia rsvr.

For calipers, using 4 pad brembos again from an aprilia, these are fitted to billet adaptors, which come with shims to ensure caliper is centred

Switches are standard aprilia/duke items. The throttle assy is from a Honda CBR600, the old throttle cables fit perfectly, no mods needed. Still not sure on cable orientation, on old throttle they point downward.

2bims

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always waggy, a delight to see your bikes reincarnation....also sawpped the master clutch amd brake on my Db1, forsafety, gold series brembos, but mostly so iI could reach the ruddy levers, old series dog legs seem to go the opposite way to todays styles...
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
.also sawpped the master clutch amd brake on my Db1, forsafety, gold series brembos, but mostly so iI could reach the ruddy levers,

you on the sherry again, Steve?

nice sympathetic updates there, Waggy. Crack on.......... Wink
bimota_rider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....A Thing of Beauty!!! Cool

Oh, by the way, that is one pricey bookshelf in the background...... Wink Laughing
'98 Bimota SB6R #000016 "Sweet 16"
Built 5/97

2014 Suzuki Hayabusa

2001 BMW R1100S
Frank.61

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Waggy,

I've bought myself a 1984 SB4 yesterday, more or less as result of your restoration project!
I'm hugely inspired by what you have achieved sofar and have planned to do a similar thing (well maybe not as perfect as you).

Have 2 questions: the paint (frame & gold parts) is it "normal" paint or did you choose for powder coating? Also: the front fork, is there any documentation etc. with regard to it (or did you do a simple open/close action)?

Those full floating discs are awesome, what pads will you use on those (what would a set cost, read you got them from down under).

Hey, looks great can't wait for the wiring and bodywork!

Keep us inspired!

Frank
waggy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank, welcome to the forum and congrats on the SB4, maybe you can open a new restoration thread and post a few pics of her. Nige has recently restored an SB so could be a great help.

The frame and gold parts are normal 2pac paint, have nothing against powdercoat, its just I have not found anyone in my part of the world that does a good job. Sorry have no documentation or manual on front forks, mine had been uprated and revalved and the rear shock had been replaced with a Maxton unit.

The cast iron floaters are from
http://sportsmotorcyclesducati.com/brakes
Cost around £340 and you need to add P&P and tax
I am using organic pads on the cast iron discs

Best of luck on your restoration, am sure forum members will be happy to assist.
Frank.61

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Wiring Reply with quote

Hi Waggy,

I've been staring at my SB4 and came to the conclusion that for me the wiring is the biggest issue to solve.
Meaning: I do understand your remark on to much but honestly I would like to find a way that it's not visible anymore ....... and I do not see immediately how to do that.
I hate to see the loom tie-wrapped to the trellis frame and prefer to have it "on top of the engine"'but do not know if it is possible or if yes, if wise to do so.

What are your ideas/battleplan?

Frank[/quote]
waggy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi frank, by too much wiring, i mean redundant wiring that is not used, vacant plugs etc. It seems clear that bimota just used the standard loom from jap donor bike along with the surplus wiring that they did not need. The cb1100r is a much bigger bike than the hb2 so we have a long loom in a smaller frame, everything is squashed and contorted to fit and i imagine you have the same problem in your SB. Like you i dont want to see cable ties on the frame, i hope to make a simple and mostly out of sight loom, as yet i have not got a battleplan as i still have some hardware to fit and when thats done i will be best able to see how wiring can be routed.
bimotanige

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with you on that Waggy, the SB also has a lot of redundant wiring that I would like to get rid of but main thing is to make sure it all works correctly then as you say, you know where you are starting from - a nice Christmas project!! You can practice on the Christmas tree lights as they usually take some sorting Very Happy
waggy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi nige, no xmas lights for me, am a lazy bugger who found happiness with a fibre optic tree Very Happy
bimotanige

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest me too - out the box with baubles on already. Then back away on the 26th!!! lol
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miserable beggars Laughing
Although I wouldnt agree on the "lazy" bit....more that your time and devotion is focused on 2 wheeled matters....much more worthy cause.. Wink
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miserable beggars Laughing
Although I wouldnt agree on the "lazy" bit....more that your time and devotion is focused on 2 wheeled matters....much more worthy cause.. Wink
Frank.61

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Waggy,

I've seen you have 2 allen bolts in the clip-ons (to hold the chromed steel bars I assume).
Thought it was original untill I was looking for mine and couldn't find them
Wanted to remove mine (chrome is not what it used to be) to either rechrome them or exchange them for aluminium ones.
How did you remove/assemble those?

How are things going (wonder how you will connect your beautifull Aprilia/Ducati ?! switch gear)?
Was planning a similar job but I'm not sure I can handle that .......
Waiting to see new pictures !
Laughing

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> HB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: