Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

HB2 restoration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank.61

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way,

Got an answer from the Rimini factory (although through Wilbers).
Needed some (extra) spare parts but they hardly have anything anymore.
Also asked them for a footpeg (part. Nr. 300.000.149) but they don't make/have 'm apparently.

Has anyone an idea how we could get one would one of our bikes fall?
I know that they are old but if you drop it or worse you would crash pegs are the first to go .....
They are so typical Bimota items ...

Just wondering.

Frank Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Allen key bolt in each clip on is not standard, so waggy or someone else has removed the chromed steel bars, and retro fitted a grub screw for security...the steel bars come as a unit, heat swaged into the alloy clip on...you can superheat the alloy part and hammer the tube out, but far from easy, there is a new pair on ebay.de, under Laura 135 seller name, which is armin of drt schneidet...a good fellow, but they aint cheap....i have a spare new old stock right side one...
waggy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

I suspect the allen screws on my handlebars was done by a previous owner and not original. The chrome on my bars was in fine condition, so did not remove them, the allen screws don't really hold them, when removed the bars are solid; so imagine someone fitted them as extra security. I suspect that maybe the bars are an interference fit and have been pressed in.

The switchgear will be connected to a new loom that I have yet to start on, have still a few hardware items to fix yet before I start that. I am replacing the old Honda instruments with a digital dash so have to fabricate a new instrument mounting bracket, also looking at fitting a fuel sender to the fuel tank.

As for spare parts, going to be hard to find for these old bikes, so best advice is not to crash the bike Smile you might be luckier on the pegs as I think that style was used on several bimota types.

Last picture for the year as its the time for beer and mince pies Smile

2bims

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go along with Waggy on the fitment of the tubes to the clip ons...if you remove the end plug at the yoke end away from the bar end...and feel inside the tube there is a narrow ring inside you can feel...as if they have been pressed into the fittings in a hydraulic press...both crushing and causing it to expand to fit
Frank.61

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Waggy,

Survived the holidays?

Question: have you already an idea how to mount/integrate the rear shock piggybag?
Where and how?

Am a bit looking myself for a "Bimota-isch" solution but haven't seen the light yet.

Frank
waggy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank, have just about survived the hols, am currently half way across the irish sea, trying to decide what to do with my breakfast Sad previously my shock remote was simply jubilee clipped to seat support rail, with a bit of foam and tape to protect the frame, not attractive. I havent decided exactly what solution i will use, but hopefully something a lot less bodge like. Right weres that sick bag.
Frank.61

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waggy,

Have a nice trip!
Hope your breakfast stays down under!

Best wishes and a good restoration year!

Frank
delmn8ed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bud for posting my photo.

I have done some mods. Spondon floating disks front and rear, second hand brake callipers and master cylinder from a gsx1100r, alloy sprocket some titanium fasteners where I can get away with it, I did push my luck a bit with the Titanium, the tie-rods I made weren't man enough.

The motor is an 1100rc the previous owner told me the assembly of the kit was done by Harris Performance Products for Baines Racing.

Good luck with the rebuild, love the brackets for the callipers.
Frank.61

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Waggy,

I hope all is ok with you.
Have a question: if I understood well you are considering another cockpit for your HB, will it be digital or analogue?
Although not one of my highest priorities, I'm thinking about a similar thing.
Want to keep it analogue (a bit in line with the mid eighties) but have no idea how difficult it is to connect the speedo etc. and still have a correct speed read-out.
I myself do like the Ducati SS900 1998-on cockpit, simple style and similar rev range (hate to open and close those gauges for new dials).
But admit that all the E-fuzz worries me a bit (connectors etc.).
Want to keep my future wishes in mind once I rearrange the electrics of mine.
So, that's why my question in the first place.
Really interested in your thougths and actions !

Myself, haven't started my restoration (except the CV carbs) and am still in the preparation phase.
Will start a new topic once I do (just the uploading of pics I will have to excercise).

But there are a lot of details ..... although if you see the bike it seems so simple!

Frank Very Happy
waggy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

Haven't had as much time in the man cave lately as have been a busy pup on other things. Anyway I have decided to go for a digital dash, to that end the original instrument mounting bracket has been refabricated to accept the new dash. Have decided to go down this route to further clean things up and simplify wiring, also speedo will be more accurate; donor Honda clocks were for a different wheel size than bimota

A few pics of progress so far, needs painting and dash in photo is upside down Embarassed

Frank.61

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waggy,

Wow nice !
in the meanwhile I've obtained a second hand SS900 dash from eBay and will study all ins and outs (reduction factor for speedo, the e-signal for the rev. counter as also all warninglichts etc.) in the months to come to see if I'm able to adapt it to my Bimota SB4 .....

like the look of it anway and feel it would blend in with the SB4 nicely.

Again: would become an issue once I would start making my own alternative loom ......

Haven't found a company who can make them to my design so I'm trying to find out if and how I can make it myself.
Prefer to have multicolour wires and professional automotive (compact!) connectors.
But that's not as simple as I thought.

Will first "rearrange" all hardware on the battery container (is that proper English?) and after that make a schema and measure everything up .....
Well easier said than done .... but it will keep me from the streets!

Frank
waggy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

There are a few sites that can provide most everything you need to make a loom for example;

www.vehicleproducts.co.uk

If your not to sure on motorcycle electrics, I would highly recommend
'Motorcycle Electrical Sytems' by Tracy martin. Simple and easy to follow.
It will also be helpful if you can find the wiring diagram for your donor bike.
I got a wiring diagram for mine from a member of the cb1100r forum.
Frank.61

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waggy,

Thanks!

Wiring diagram as in the Haynes manual?
Thanks for the link (have a similar in Conrad).
Like the AMP superseal 1.5, you find them in cars and even on your new switches, only problem they don't make/sell them with more than 6 ways.

Are you still considering making one from scratch?

Have a lot of the "old" AMP 6,3 blade terminal connectors but they are A) BIG and B) not water sealed.

Well first have to do the mechanical part of the restoration so I do have some time to think it over.

Frank
Frank.61

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waggy,

How are you going to solve the elimination of the choke lever (handle bar left side switch)?

Sorry for all the questions but you are (way) ahead of me in the restoration process and with similar bikes and changes ...

Frank
waggy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank,

Luckily I don't need a choke on the handlebar as the smoothbores have a choke lever on the side of the carbs. Am not sure what setup your SB uses.

Your Haynes manual should hopefully have the correct wiring diagram.
I will be using my old loom as a rough template, unravel the old loom tape, remove redundant wires and use a mixture of old connectors and new waterproof connectors to build a new loom with all new wiring to correct size and routing. Like you say, I haven't found anything bigger than 6 way, will keep searching, might even look for an old ducati loom on ebay and rob the connectors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> HB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: