Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6/6R Clutch Slave Cylinder

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: SB6/6R Clutch Slave Cylinder Reply with quote

Which is, of course, a GSXR slave cylinder.
Also, it's a:

GSF 1200 (97-02)
RF 900 (94-97)
GSX 1100 G (91-93)
GSXR 1100 (86-97)

Hope that is helpful to someone else Wink
jonoft

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dozen or so of the very last batch of the SB6 model came with a modified clutch slave cylinder to better suit the Brembo clutch pump. The housing of the slave cylinder looks like an OEM Suzuki part, but the inside parts are different. The SB6R models also comes with a modified slave cylinder.

Regards
Jon
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: SB6R clutch slave cylinder Reply with quote

Any idea what the mod is? I guess it can only be the depth of the piston.
oily

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

changing the depth of the piston wouldent really change anything. Changing the diameter of the piston would or changing the spring maybe Wink
If it's only the internals changed, they should still be interchangeable, right? Shocked
jonoft

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The housing was bored out and a sleeve fitted to suit a smaller piston and seal.

Regards
Jon

PS The SB8R/RS also comes with this mod. This model also has another mod that few know about. The alternator rotor is modified to suit the Marelli ECU. That is why a donor engine from a TL1000 won't run in a SB8 or visa versa.

Regards
Jon
oily

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Jon, a new source of wisdom Laughing
Keeps these little nuggets coming Wink
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: SB6R clutch slave cylinder Reply with quote

I guess the piston seal will have given out on most of them by now. It certainly had on mine when I got it a couple of years ago and the piston and bore were scored as well. So I ordered up a Gixxer 11 item and couldn't see any difference between the two. So I bolted it on and I've not had any problems.

Surely it would have been easier to get Brembo to knock up a master cylinder compatible with the standard slave. Then again, I suppose they were planning on a long and profitable future flogging the modded slave.
oily

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonoft wrote:
The housing was bored out and a sleeve fitted to suit a smaller piston and seal.

Regards
Jon

Of course, this is a tried and tested method of reclaiming small hydraulic cylinders anyway.
In this instance, probably cheaper and easier to go the gsxr/bandit cylinder
route Wink
Strik3r

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am from Portugal and new to this forum.

I got to know it after having my clutch slave cylinder failure, bought a repair kit for the TL1000R, but when it arrived I immediately saw that it was not for the Bimota SB8R.

In here I see that a GSXR Clutch Slave Cylynder is used to replace the original with good results.

My question is, what year's Gixxer can i Buy, what parts are needed and if any parts are to be re-used.

thanks in advance
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't an answer to the above
There's a kit to covert to a cable clutch for the TL I was interested to see if it would fit.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: SB6/R clutch slave Reply with quote

Does anybody know what the piston came from to fit into the sleeved down GSXR 1100 slave cylinder? It is a 28.5mm diameter piston with an O ring as a dust seal and a cup fluid seal.

It's strange that some 6s/6Rs work fine with a standard slave and a 16mm master. Others with standard slaves will not disengage fully unless you swap the 16mm master for a 17mm item and then they work fine.

I've got one with a Barnett clutch and I'm up to a 19mm master to properly disengage using the standard slave and I'm rapidly developing a forearm like Popeye Laughing So I'd like to give the sleeved slave a go to see if that would allow me to drop the size of the master and reduce the force needed at the lever. But for that, I need to identify the donor for that piston.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: SB6/R clutch slave Reply with quote

If Bimota Classic Parts is reading this - do you have a repair kit for the sleeved slave? As I say, the outside diameter of the seals will be 28.5mm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: