Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

How do I plumb the Mantra tank?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: How do I plumb the Mantra tank? Reply with quote

Hi

I bought a Mantra with dodgy paint and the tank disconnected. I've loaded up 3 pictures. How does it plumb in?

The carbs have pipes with bulbous inline filters. Are these air intakes? Do they connect to anything, or just hang?

The tank has a link pipe linking the 2 halves, and a T-peice. At the rear of the bottom of the tank there's a place with an 'in' arrow, an 'out' arrow, and a thinner pipe that looks like a drain or breather pipe. Again, what goes where please? No guesses please - I can guess, but I'm hoping that someone actually knows.

thanks

ps can't see how to attach images to this - any hints?
oily

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you've just bought that dodgy mantra off gaybay. I was watching that but bottled out in the end and bought an SB6. Not knowing, or wanting to know anyting about the duke engine, I thought it would be a bit of a risk.
Now, your problem.
some pictures would realy help Wink
load the pictures onto photo bucket (or another photo hosting site) and link to them in your post Wink
OR email them to me and I'll do it for you

P.S welcome to the site
oily

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin's pictures

oily

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any answers I could give you would be guesses.
I suggest you get yourself on German ebay and look for a manual or find someone with a manual Wink

I can now see why the seller said it would run without the tank but wouldn't run with the tank on.
He didn't know how to plumb it up either Laughing
robin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: tank Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for putting the pictures up. Engine runs fine on a drip with the tank off, but runs only a short time when using the tank - sounds like tank not venting, needing a vacuum from the engine or something fairly simple. I got the bike with the tank off, and given the above, the previous owner probably didn't know how to put it back correctly, hence the question.
oily

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you don't want guesses BUT I think the oblong shaped thing with the in, out and small bore pipe is the fuel shut off. in and out are obvious and the smaller pipe is vacuum from the carbs Wink
robin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: more Reply with quote

Hi

So the T peice goes to the in, the out goes to the carbs, and the vacuum goes to the inlet manifold? I can rig all that up off the bike and see if it flows. Never heard of a Bimota workshop manual - do they exist? Had a SB6R nuda before, but sold it as uncomfortable. Wish I'd kept it, but if I kept every bike I liked, there'd be a garage full of bikes. Come to think of it...
oily

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Bimota do manuals.
Got one for the SB6 and one for the SB6R.
My 6R is a streetfighter (homebrew not a Nuda)

Sounds like a plan, rig it up off the bike.
I figure it plumbs in exactly like you describe Wink
oily

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Joy yet Question
robin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Naked is best Reply with quote

Hi

Got all the bodywork off now - looks so good, I think I'll have to streetfighter it. I'll keep the bodywork safe so it can be reverted easily. I had a look at the vacuum switch - seems to be permenantly open, so can't see why that's a problem. I've had the engine running with the tank off, but there's a small earth leak I need to fix first.

So, now I'm looking for someone to make a tank for me - plastic ideal, otherwise Ally. Anyone got a contact (UK, ideally South)?

I've seen 2 Mantra specials - one at the Ace, and another on a German website - anyone know who owns either of them?

thanks for help.
oily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mantra's aint really my thang but....a street fighterd Mantra... Now you've grabbed my interest.
Whereabouts are you?
As for tanks, Theres a guy north of the border (yes, I know it's not south)that makes excellent ally tanks for everything.
Try googling The Tank Shop.
Of course, we are going to need plenty of pictures of this project as it progresses Laughing
robin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Tank Shop Reply with quote

Hi

I'm in North London. Tank Shop looks the dogs, but I'd have to trailer the bike to Scotland, so a pretty expensive deal. They're also working on a 20-week lead time, which confirms what their customers think of them. I'll try to find somewhere closer.
oily

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only other suggestion is, armed with a couple of good photo's and some good measurments of the frame, get your arse to a bike breakers and see what might fit or what you can modify to fit. There's a new SB8 tank for sale at the moment which would look the dogs if it fitted. Wink
Seeing a photo of the naked bike might get you some better sugestions Laughing
robin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Mantra Update Reply with quote

Hi

Got the bike stripped of bodywork and running from a bottle with tank off. Then put the tank on, having cleared the taps of rubbish, and runs fine. So, blocked taps (looks like powder from last paint job), and a leaking vacuum takeoff from inlet mainfold, which won't have helped.

A couple of questions.

1) the tank outlets are about 6 inches below the carbs, but there's no fuel pump, just gravity. Should there be a pump, or is the last bit of fuel unusable?

2) I disconnected the alternator in a senior moment without noting which wire went to which on the regulator. It's an aftermarket regulator, and was working fine, and charging. How do I tell which way the wires connect?

3) When I connect a brand new battery with a volt meter on it, and switch the ignition on, the voltage drops about half a volt, then stops dropping after a minute. Bike starts fine. Is something meant to be taking a bit of charge, or what? All the lights etc were disconnected, and I removed most of the relays etc in turn, and it still happens. Do the coils soak up a bit of juice?

4) forks seem sweet, with good damping, but Paoli shock is over-hard and the damping seems to be stuck on full. There's adjustment on the bottom (which seems broken), and an allen bolt at the top. Is the allen bolt adjustment, or a what?

Still no luck finding a tank maker in south of England. I think I'll get the bike Mot'd and see what it's like first.
oily

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've previously said, I know very little about ducati engined bikes but The SB6R tank outlet is about 6" below the carbs and that is fitted with a pump even though it causes problems and most people disconnect them.
The alternator wiring... well, again pictures would be very usefull considering it's an after market regulator. A Ducati wiring diagram would probably sort that.
The battery voltage drop is normal.
Shock sounds seized, plenty of WD and try and free it up. Again, A picture of the adjusters would help.
Yep, good idea, get it MOT'd and smoke it around till you get the niggle bits sorted and then it's time for the big hammers and hacksaw
Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: