Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

How do I plumb the Mantra tank?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kb11110cc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robin

I have a mantra for my sins as well

Re shock even when new they where crap i had mine made by Nitron 3 months back and added a little extra length. Cost i think £300, they made a super job.

the bike now steers a lot faster and is more usable as well.
It can really carve up the roads once you get used to it.

It is only there basic shock but more than adequate as she handles superbly.
If you give nitron a ring mention my name as all the dimensions where made at there factory as i gave them my bike and a YB11 at the same time

Hope this is of help.

Carl
robin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Mantra Shock Reply with quote

Hi Carl

Good to find another owner at last! Thanks for the tip on Nitron - I have one of theirs on a Benelli I have, and it's classy stuff. I think my bike will come out very different to standard - light bike with no pillion facility - but I am on the chunky side of beefy, so that all needs taking into consideration.

Have you put crash bungs on yours? If so, which did you use? Any idea what MPG you're getting? I want to get a small ally tank, and knowing MPG would help.

Does your rear caliper mount 'float' on the locating peg (move around a few degrees), or is it solid? Mine moves, which I suspect is wrong.

I assume yours is standard - what colours? Mine is an unacceptable yellow and purple, and looks like some kids coloured it in with felt tips. There's a lot of body, so a paint job would be pricy. Best colours I've seen is silver on the 'black' bits to lighten the bulk of it, and either Italian red or maybe blue or Benelli green on the rest. I think I'd do the bellypan and hugger in dark grey to make them disappear - basically to make it look less bulky than it is. a previous owner has filled in the cubby hole in the tank, which is a pity.

I'm trying to find replacement taps for the 2 fuel outlets, as mine can't be switched off - taking the tank off is a messy business. Any ideas?

Hopefully have it ridable for when that yellow thing in the sky comes back!
kb11110cc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi robin

mpg all depends but on average 45 - 50

re shock it has made a massive difference if cash is around get one
the forks are as you know yb9 but without the preload adjustment??
these are excellent.

as you are also aware this is the same chassis as the db4 and there is nothing wrong with that.

re tank there are several companies about in my racing circles typical cost of a one off is around 400 - 500 plus the usual 2-3 months wait. if you want some names let me know.

fuel taps i will enquire.
rear caliper mine does not move
no crash bungs

mine as you suggested is standard and i like it that way. If i want something faster then i would get it.

you can mod the carbs and perhaps pipes to give it a boost in the midrange plus the rear shock mod and this bike can be pretty quick in local conditions.

hope that helps but drop me a line of your local and if i am near by i can drop in.

if you decide to respray i can get the decals if you need them.

Carl
jonoft

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably sorted by now, but here is my input. On the Mantra there is a vacuum fuel pump fixed to the bottom of the tank tank. The pump has 3 stubs; fuel in, fuel out and manifold vaccum. The only problem with this Paioli made fuel pump is that it delivers only 17 liters an hour at max output while the Mantra flat-out requires 19 liters.

The fuel taps are from a Ducati, but I can not recall which one right now. It is a needle pin design so take care when closing them. If more than finger thight they will not close, but leak.

The Paioli forks used for the Mantra are fitted with rebound adjusters on the top as standard. These adjusters are adjusted by a flat screwdriver. There are provision for compression adjusters at the bottom of the fork legs. As standard the holes are blanked.

The Paioli rear shock (btw, not the same Paioli company) has rebound at the bottom, but this ring usually does not work after a year or two. The allen head bolt on the top is used by the manufacturer for filling of the nitrogen gas and for attaching an external compression adjuster when used for other Bimota models like the YB11.

Regards
Jon
Dale Orto

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with jonoft
you can suck on the "vaccum" side and see the pump work. I disassmbled my pump and cleaned it. I had a small amount of stuff in it. .Im not sure of the flow..but short of an electric pump this is what we have and you got to make sure it all works as good as possible.
My Mantra had plugged petcocks! Pull them and clean them and use a good filter. Check the breather for the tank..make sure it flows.
I have had a few issues but nothing that would make me dislike the bike...most of the issue are going to be around the fuel supply...the duc motor is dead reliable.
Dale Orto

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with jonoft
you can suck on the "vaccum" side and see the pump work. I disassmbled my pump and cleaned it. I had a small amount of stuff in it. .Im not sure of the flow..but short of an electric pump this is what we have and you got to make sure it all works as good as possible.
My Mantra had plugged petcocks! Pull them and clean them and use a good filter. Check the breather for the tank..make sure it flows.
I have had a few issues but nothing that would make me dislike the bike...most of the issue are going to be around the fuel supply...the duc motor is dead reliable.
Dale Orto

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with jonoft..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: