Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB Heavy clutch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CNC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: DB Heavy clutch Reply with quote

Maybe this is old theme, but I found out this workaround quite recently. DBs like almost all ducats have heavy clutch and after few drives trough town you end up with bigger left hand than right Wink

There are several clutch slave cylinders to reduce lever force, but this is also simple workaround for lighter clutch. You can add washers to under screws for clutch springs. Here is Ducati original Performance clutch plate manual, which recommends number of washers for specific model.

I tested this and under 120HP you are safe to use one washer in three springs and two washers on other three springs and you wont't get clutch that slips (track use). With DB 7/8 you should be more carful with number of washers… Wink It is very easy to change washers for track or everyday use.

You don't need to buy Performance clutch plate, you can easily made washers: they are 15 mm diameter with hole 5,5 mm, thickens 2 mm.

bimota_rider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....orrrrrr,.... you could get one of these, and "MAN-UP" for Christ's sake!

(just a joke, don't flame me....)

Wink Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

'98 Bimota SB6R #000016 "Sweet 16"
Built 5/97

2014 Suzuki Hayabusa

2001 BMW R1100S
bimotanige

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or buy yourself an 80s old style square case 900ss / MHR ducati then put stronger springs in it!! Soon man you up!
ducatidave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't understand how anyone could say a late model Ducati/Bimota has a heavy clutch. My DB1 and ST both only require 2 fingers to operate, though I use all my fingers for normal riding.
If you want to know what a heavy clutch is, try a Laverda Jota or a Norton Commando. Back in the 1970s I used to commute 80 kms each day, 40 kms through stop-start traffic on a Commando. I used to win all the left arm arm wrestling competitions back then!
CNC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no mining worker… true, but with this, bike is more manageable and pleasant at slow speeds...
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say Ducati Dave...if youre running standard Original levers and masters on your Db1...you must have fingers longer than a monkeys.....as they "dogleg" the opposite way round...I've changed my masters to gold series with adjustable levers...but kept the resrvoirs atop the forks....at least my arthritic aged fingers can now reach and its less of an effort (and I'm all for that in later years) continuance of riding without achey limbs and joints...Mind you damp cold UK weather doesnt help..maybe not such an issue for you "upsidedowners" in warmer climes.... Wink
brian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
...Mind you damp cold UK weather doesnt help..maybe not such an issue for you "upsidedowners" in warmer climes.... Wink

Mmm... some rain would be nice right about now! Crying or Very sad
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
SpikeC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 08 DB5R has the wet clutch and it is easier than the dry one! My last bike was an M1100 Ducati and that things dry clutch was a bit tiring after a few hours of twisties!
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
2bims wrote:
...Mind you damp cold UK weather doesnt help..maybe not such an issue for you "upsidedowners" in warmer climes.... Wink

Mmm... some rain would be nice right about now! Crying or Very sad

Shhhh Brian...we're having our longest Driest spell for many a year over here...and this biking season I've racked up some 6,000 miles or so on the various Bims....still continuing...Db1 and Vdue tonight just to try chalk and cheese...

Spike...I see your Db5R still has the Brembo Gold series and not Brembo Radial Masters? Is your bike running a standard Clutch slave though? Even so I would agree the wet clutch Duc engines are smoother and lighter than dry...but the "sound" is part of it for me also..sad but true... Cool . Cool
SpikeC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed a EVR gold colored clutch slave and it is nice! It not only works well butt it matches the wheels and forks!
1965 Triumph T100SC
spidermaan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jure my DB5 (I think your too) and my ss900 don't have any washer, only screw and springs.
If you want the clutch more soft you need follow hypermotard instructions, increase the washer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: