Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Rough idle developing on DB5R

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Rough idle developing on DB5R Reply with quote

I acquired my 2008 DB5R a little over two weeks ago from a dealer who had it on consignment. The bike as just 3k miles on it, and the shop thought that it had stabilized fuel in the tank. They siphoned the gas out and put in a few gallons from a large jug. I was very impressed by how smooth the idle was and how cleanly it ran in the lower rpm ranges, as contrasted with the Ducati Monster 1100S that preceded it.
After a few days the idle began to get a bit rougher, to the point that it sometimes dies, and there is random popping when riding around town up to around 4k rpm. My impression is that there is a partial obstruction in the injectors. Does this seem reasonable? Would some sort of injector cleaner like Techron be a reasonable approach?
Thanks for any thoughts, Spike C
1965 Triumph T100SC
brian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know a lot about fuel injection, but is it possible that you are now using a different fuel to what they originally put in? Or is there much of a difference in altitude between where you bought it and where you live?

I guess it's more likely to have something to do with it having been sat not used for a period. Check the easy stuff first, plugs, fuel filter, air filter, electrical plugs and connections, battery terminals. Double check any ground wires for loose or corroded terminals.

Cheers
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
SpikeC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the input, I really appreciate it!
The bike has lived it's whole life here in Portland, Oregon. The first 2 owners put 27 miles on it, and the next one did the 3k. I don't know how recently it was used, tho. I don't see any evidence of corrosion, it looks like it never saw any rain! The battery seems to be charging well, when I hook up my battery tender it goes to float right away.
The bad news is that it wasn't used much, the good news is that it wasn't used much!
What fuel filter do these things use? I suspect from the symptoms that the issue is downstream from the filter, at the injectors, butt a new filter will not hurt, along with a fresh oil change.
Thanks again for your help, Spike
1965 Triumph T100SC
brian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeC wrote:
The bad news is that it wasn't used much, the good news is that it wasn't used much!

Laughing Yeah i'm hearing ya. I have and sb6 that has a similar history. Definitely better for them to have a regular squirt.

2bims will be able to help you out with specifics on the bike like fuel filter etc. Still might be worth while to do the 'free' stuff first. Check all the electrical connectors and even clean them and put some di-electric grease on them, including the connectors on the injectors. It does sound more like a fuel issue though or maybe plugs?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
vort28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spike.

Hi Spike, and welcome to the wonderful world of Bimota ownership. Has 2Bim's not sent you an owners manual ?
I guess that as there is only 1 injector per cylinder and you only get this up to 4k it sounds like an over fuelling issue so more likely a carb sync problem / injector problem or maybe just a Ducati problem Shocked !!!! Are'nt they mean't to pop and bang and run rough down low ??? I know mine do Laughing
bimota_rider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey spike, I am NOT going to delve into the wonderful world of "Bimota" fuel injection management systems, because I am still relatively a sane person, except for those "voices"......

I do, however, have some experience with fuel additives and the best I have ever found is "Sea Foam", you might want to give some of that a try. Good luck.
'98 Bimota SB6R #000016 "Sweet 16"
Built 5/97

2014 Suzuki Hayabusa

2001 BMW R1100S
SpikeC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention that, I just happen to have a bottle that a friend gave me a while back!

I do have the manuals for the bike!
1965 Triumph T100SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: