Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Eliminating YB8 fuel reserve switch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud977

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Eliminating YB8 fuel reserve switch Reply with quote

After running out of fuel at the track the other day, I found that the YB8 has 'fuel reserve control push button'.

It does not have a reserve, but when the fuel sender reads a low fuel level, it tells the CDI to stop the fuel pump until you push the button on the dash. Sort of a false reserve.

I wonder how I get rid of this unnecessary mechanism as I won't need it for racing. Do I disconnect the fuel sender, or do I have to bridge it out?

If anyone has any experience with these doo-dads, your help would be appreciated.
trev45

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put more fuel Laughing

Trev
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: YB8 fuel reserve switch Reply with quote

The reserve tap sits lower than the main tap to create the reserve. You could swap the two taps over and draw all your fuel through what is currently the main tap but located where the reserve tap used to be. Be careful with your fuel hose routing, as it's very easy to end up with fuel starvation. Good luck.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Trev45's solution...the essence and beauty of the simplicity...not a Bimota trait....but to have a warning that fuel is low...well its not a common accesory that works on Bimotas so to have one I'd consider a bonus and not a hindrance Smile
brian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
but to have a warning that fuel is low...well its not a common accesory that works on Bimotas so to have one I'd consider a bonus and not a hindrance Smile

Er yes... i found myself sitting on the side of the road yesterday swearing at the db4! Ran clean out of juice. I forgot to reset the odometer last time i fuelled up as i ususlly do religously. 100% of my bimotas have dodgy low fuel senders.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I bet you reallt startinf swearing when you realised it was you that let the bike down not the other way round for a change... Laughing At least its a nice bike to look at when youre sat there with no ability to go anywhere.....Did you hitch a ride on a roo?
brian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah standing there on the side of the road proudly wearing my BIMOTA T-shirt Laughing . Had to call my darling wife to come and pick me up, which she very kindly did. There may have been some sort of coment along the lines of... 7 bikes in the shed and still can't get where you need to go!
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Yamaha system. The sender works by temperature finding a drop when the fuel doesn't cover it. Then as you say it triggers the CDI to start cutting the sparks to the cylinders, it uses the same circuit as the side stand cut out and red line.
Once the reserve is switched you can put it back to "on" and the bike will run normally (until the fuel runs out).

Check the fuel tap, it should have an "on" and "off" with no reserve.
I think if you bridge the sender it should work.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Yeah standing there on the side of the road proudly wearing my BIMOTA T-shirt Laughing . Had to call my darling wife to come and pick me up, which she very kindly did. There may have been some sort of coment along the lines of... 7 bikes in the shed and still can't get where you need to go!

I hope you pointed out that getting there is not the point of a Bimota....its all about the Journey...although granted....getting home would be a Bonus... Laughing And having 7 bikes is a necessity to ensure at least one is working to get you out from under her feet..... Laughing Laughing

I wouldnt make the simile comparison between numbers of bikes contrasted against numbers of shoes and handbags or hair "styles" that ladies need....I tried that once and wouldnt go there again..... Rolling Eyes
Bud977

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having many bikes is definitely a blessing for the wife to keep you out from under her feet (and her many pairs of shoes!). And it appears that the forum members have trouble stopping at one Bimota as well. Cool

Back to the topic at hand.

There is a fuel tap with on/off positions which tees off to another take off on the bottom of the tank, and then to the fuel pump. This take off doesn't have a fuel tap. What's the point of having two take offs, one with a fuel tap and one without???

I'll play around with bridging the fuel sender. The dash light should stay off permanently if that's the right setting.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a Balance take-off point to drain both sides of the tank? As in is the tank "n shaped at all? I have a KTM like this where the tank "flops" over the central frame spare thus having 2 wings, and each connects to one line for the Carb, thus draining the tank equally and keeping the balance equalled of the weight of the fuel...
brian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud977 wrote:

I'll play around with bridging the fuel sender. The dash light should stay off permanently if that's the right setting.

You'll either have to bridge the sender or just disconnect it depending on if it's a normally open or normally closed switch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: