Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New Pipes!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: New Pipes! Reply with quote

My new set of cat-less Zard pipes just arrived! Hoo-Dee-Hoo!!
Now I need to decide whether to ceramic coat them, and if so what finish to use.
1965 Triumph T100SC
waggytee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't un-wrap them until Christmas day remember

Any chance of before and after photos for an aesthetic comparison?
SpikeC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late on the unwrapping part! I can take before and after pics, butt the only difference will be the lack of the little beer can midway down the front pipe.
2bims has a thread over on the "Bimota Chat" forum called ceramic coating by camcoat that shows the whole thing quite nicely!
I am leaning heavily on forgoing the coating as the new pipes match the end pipes so well.
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the thread of before and after for Cam Coat...which should be available in the US as its a patented system that the company I use in the UK bought a license from the US company to do....the pipes do polish up nicely as standard without camcoating if you see there is evidently a difference but still all nice and shiney...even the x-piece shines up nicely as the standard system is SS...just not polished finish...evidently it would brown and golden with use...which is kind of nice also
waggytee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to 2bims thread - very interesting.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres the odd picture on this link of CNC's Db5S who had open Zard systems...but instead of camcoating he just had the system polished to a high grade...looked nice indeed...

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2622&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
CNC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike,

congratulations for purchase! If you will not go for ceramic coating at least you should polish them otherwise they get that unattractive brownish look. Steve's ceramic coat looks excellent quality and adds function (heat transmission).

Another thing... Zards take a few miles to run in ant then they get right sound.

Enjoy!
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNC wrote:
Spike,

congratulations for purchase! If you will not go for ceramic coating at least you should polish them otherwise they get that unattractive brownish look. Steve's ceramic coat looks excellent quality and adds function (heat transmission).

Another thing... Zards take a few miles to run in ant then they get right sound.

Enjoy!

You shouldnt have this problem though spike...as you are keeping the existing Open Zard end cans...that are actually titanium on the DB5R...whereas CNC purchased a full system with the squished carbon end cans...unfortunately I could not compare which was loudest at the TT as CNC had a flattish battery and didnt want to risk draining it totally just to start it up to please my ears....He is right though...new cans take a while for the baffle material to get coated and they absorb less sound

Last edited by 2bims on Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpikeC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't stand it and went ahead and installed the pipe(s) today.
Guess what? In accordance with Standard Bimota Practice (SBP), there was no cat in the midpipe! Only in the front header! I ended up just using the one pipe and none of the 7 springs that they sent!
It is noticeably louder now, sort of like an engine with straight pipes!
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more than "standard" for Bimota...although maybe a previous owner pulled the cat out of the x shaped collecter as that would be quite easy to do as at least theres access from both ends when its off the bike...middle Cat on front header is a different bag altogether....hopefully it will help running issues also as evidently the front cylinder would have been choked until up to temperature when compared with the Cat free rear cylinder...Have you found that starting is a little easier?

And nice one with finding a set of springs and spring puller in your Zard Box...I'll now have to root through mie and also see if there were similar items...as I simply pulled the pipes out and didnt sort through the squidgy packing stuff...
brian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
I'll now have to root through mie and also see if there were similar items...as I simply pulled the pipes out and didnt sort through the squidgy packing stuff...

Hope you haven't thrown it out Shocked
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
SpikeC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it does seem to start easier, and it definatly runs better, at idle and in the previously ragged 3-4 k range.
It sounds like a jalopy now though!
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard Ducati Jalopy sound...glad to hear that you are noticing a difference...was never keen on the irratic starting and initial running until warmed up....that all magiacally dissappear after the cats are removed thankfully...keep an eye on the brass plugs in the headers for tightness....I had a couple of initial runs and all fine...and then whilst trying to keep up with my friend on a Vdue....a hopeless task....I experienced a sudden exhaust note change like an end can had fell off...turned out one of the brass plugs in the rear header had worked itself loose and gone walkabout...wouldnt have thought it would make such a difference...
SpikeC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now, I was worried about the jalopy sound so I pulled the body panel off and..........
The new rear head pipe came with the brass plug installed, and I didn't bother to really look at the front one, being all excited about the lack of the cat, and just installed it. It seems that the front pipe did not have the brass plug!
I removed it from the old pipe and installed it in the new, and now it sounds like a proper hotrod and not a jalopy!
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange how. Things go eh? And it was the only pipe you fitted....typical italian quality control eh? Check and check again, or in itaky, eat pasta, dtink wine, job done... Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: