Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

paioli RSU DB4ie forks oil change

View previous topic :: View next topic  
polyesterpig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: paioli RSU DB4ie forks oil change Reply with quote

My 2000 DB4ie Biposto Paioli RSU43 forks don't look like what's in the Paioli manual. Instead of popping the tops off and finding a spring, I am finding a long (approx 5 inches) metal preload spacer under the cap. Impossible to get to the retaining nut by compressing by hand. I will need a special tool or something. There are 2 holes in the spacer, so I will need to use those. I think since this bike is a 2 seater, the forks are setup different than the standard DB4.
2010 Ducati Hypermotard evo SP
2000 Bimota DB4ie BiPosto
deebee4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: paioli RSU DB4ie forks oil change Reply with quote

polyesterpig wrote:
My 2000 DB4ie Biposto Paioli RSU43 forks don't look like what's in the Paioli manual. Instead of popping the tops off and finding a spring, I am finding a long (approx 5 inches) metal preload spacer under the cap. Impossible to get to the retaining nut by compressing by hand. I will need a special tool or something. There are 2 holes in the spacer, so I will need to use those. I think since this bike is a 2 seater, the forks are setup different than the standard DB4.

A db4 (carbed single seater or two seater ie) has the spring compression kit installed from the factory.

The first times I took the forks apart had a helper push down that spacer so I could reach the nut securing the top cap. Or I clamped the fork leg upright in a "work mate" bench. I used 2 pins with short 6 mm threads and stick them in the 2 holes in the spacer. That gives the helper some grip If you have a helper. If no helper's available you can use a stronger luggage strap down belt and wrap it around the pins onto the workbench and tension it so it compresses the spring and frees the nut. Refitting is vica versa. Just improvise a way to compress the spring to free the spacer from the top cap. Of course turn the spring compression all the way out first (after writing down its setting).

But now I have a special tool bought from a suspension rebuilder with 2 handles grip and 2 retractable pins that align with the holes in the spacer. That construction with spacers is used in many forks.
Here's the site of the tool manufacturer:
http://www.andreanigroup.com/en-us/courses/suspensions-equipment-and-tools/tool-box.aspx?idC=61751&LN=en-US
I've got the tools # 1223, 1219 (you can also use 1102) and 1224. These tools make the dismantling fairly simple.
But you can do it without the tools, take your time to figure out how it's built up and make sure the damping rod is all the way up before putting in the spring and spacer, or you'll never get the top nut and cap on again.

Good luck!
polyesterpig

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks deebee4 for all the help. A friend had the tool with the pins and flushed the forks and put new fluid in them. The old oil was looking clean and clear coming out, but after 14 years, changed it anyways. I found a new Bimota ohlins shock and put that on too. Not too many suspension shops in the USA willing to work on Paioli rear shocks. I am going thru the bike and looking forward to riding it after 2 years of sitting. I don't live too far from the Malibu mountains and that's where this little bike excels. Almost there! Thanks again.
2010 Ducati Hypermotard evo SP
2000 Bimota DB4ie BiPosto
deebee4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

polyesterpig wrote:
Thanks deebee4 for all the help. A friend had the tool with the pins and flushed the forks and put new fluid in them. The old oil was looking clean and clear coming out, but after 14 years, changed it anyways. I found a new Bimota ohlins shock and put that on too. Not too many suspension shops in the USA willing to work on Paioli rear shocks. I am going thru the bike and looking forward to riding it after 2 years of sitting. I don't live too far from the Malibu mountains and that's where this little bike excels. Almost there! Thanks again.

You're welcome. Glad you got it done. The Ohlins rear shock is far superior over the Paioli unit. I replaced my poorly made Paioli shock with an Ohlins after the ratchet ball had become displaced while turning out the adjuster knob on the shock. Also the reservoir was leaking....... But the forks are state of the art in design and construction, regardless what others say. Once the suspension is setup right you've got one of the best handling bikes ever built. Have fun. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: