Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB5R obscure electrical component question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: DB5R obscure electrical component question Reply with quote

Ok, here is a possibly odd query- does anyone know if the speed sensor at the back wheel is the same as the one that Ducati uses?
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture would help spike, and I could check with my local ducati dealer....on both my db5 and db6. The speedos wereirratic to say the least...although koso units, i found that the gap between the sensor and heads of the disc bolts was critical, I use a 0.4mm allen key to set the gap between the sensor and disc bolt heads, then tighten the grub screw to set to this gap...and it sorted the speedos on both bikes, as I was looking st replacing the sensors on both bikes before this fix worked...the clocks on ypur bike are the same as used on ducati mh900e specials of year 2000, there's one at my local dealer so I can check. If you like
spidermaan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the sensor change if you have Pegaso or Koso unit.
Wich one do you have?
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has the early Db5R Spidermann...with the round white tacho dial...not the KOSO unit....
SpikeC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to install a SpeedoHealer that will allow me to correct the speedometer reading to actual speed. It plugs into the cable from the speed sensor and the company, HealTech, has said that I should use the harness for a Ducati, so we shall see if the kit works. I told them that the gauge was the same as in the MH900e and this is what they recommended, but I doubt that that the gauge cluster has anything to do with what sensor is used.
1965 Triumph T100SC
spidermaan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
He has the early Db5R Spidermann...with the round white tacho dial...not the KOSO unit....

ok, the Pegaso ECU, as like mine.
I try to see on mine and see the monster of my wife
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spike...I checked the MH900E that a friend has, same clocks as yours, and the speedo sensor on that bike is fitted to the front sprocket cover, reading the 2 bolts on the front sprocket...thus if the size of the front or rear sprocket was changed in size then the speedo would not be reading the correct speed from standard settings, the unit is small black plastic sensor, unlike the KOSO ones that are white plastic...so I would think if your sensor is fitted to the rear brake caliper hanger, reading off the rear disc bolts, then it should have been set to the number of bolts....but if yours has been replaced at any particular time then it may have been swopped with the wrong type...as your bike like mine has OZ wheels and these have a different number of brake disc bolts than the standard DB5 or DB6........difference is 5 bolts instead of 4....
SpikeC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The neat thing about this speedometer calibration device is that after just plugging it into the cable from the sensor it allows a pretty large range of adjustment to your speedo. From their instructions:

"Extended calibration range: -99.9% to +9999.9% in steps of 0.1%
This means the signal can be adjusted from 1/1000 to x100, in increments of 0.001. This range is efficient even for the most radical sprocket conversions and suitable for all kinds of custom applications as well (e.g. different engine-gauge combination, bike engine"
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What made you think that the Old unit was not reading right? Long measured journey that you knew the accurate difference or following someine else that recorded a different distance? Thats when I adjusted my KOSO unit when a similar DB5 recorded a phenomonal 20% less distance over a 40 mile trip, where I tripped 48 miles....and as I was logging more miles rather than less I figured it was time to fiddle with it...
Garynuttall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey 2bims - thanks for your advise - had a problem with erratic speedo and spent days looking around the front of my db5r - fixed thanks to you mate ...........all the best ...........regards
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary....I presume that you had the "constantly fluctuating" speed reading on the clocks....with variants of 20-30 mph between max and min....even if travelling at a constant steady speed.......and thus adjusted the gap between the bolts on the rear disc and the speedo sensor and now its a steady reading throughout?
Garynuttall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiya - I found that the grub screw had come out completely and that he sensor had been slightly damaged by coming into contact with the bolt heads ........but all good now thanks - and yes 20-30 km per hour fluctuation.....love the bike .......and the attention it gets when out (9 haha) - I had the chairman of the italian motorbike owners club asking about it when I bumped into him by chance at breakfast over the weekend.........he was really impressed.......other rides - aprilia shiver - honda mc 21, multistrada and best of all at my age - yamaha tmax Very Happy

any idea of what a very neat db5r 2010,oz wheels and zard pipes ...may fetch - only 3500 km on clock - paperwork in order
regards -
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh the grub screws are a bit pants....and I've had the same issue on 2 bikes with irratic speedo due to wrong gap setting...I've replaced the grub screw with a same size thread allen hex bolt....where the head stands proud of the rear brake caliper hanger...you can get a bit more leverage on it as the heads bigger...but dont overtighten...as it presses on an ally tube that contains the 4 circular magnets that move back and forth sensing the disc bolts....but at least this way I can mark the head of the bolt with a marker pen against the plate and then know if its coming loose....

Prices for a Db5R? Quite a common topic on here...as per this recent thread:-

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3754&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

These bikes I reference are the 1000cc models....that dont have cats fitted in the pipes (front and rear)...they upped the engine size to the 1078 (1100) when they got the mag casing engines from Ducati...but these like yours will have cats on them for emissions....

Evidently I'd value a newer lower mileage version higher....but when it comes to Bimotas theres always 2 prices whatever the country of sale..How much someone is willing to pay...and how much the owner is willing to take to part with the bike.........and there can be a large gap inbetween..its not like you can find 10 other same bikes for sale for Guide prices........Also unsure if you have a heavy import tax on Foreign Goods in SA...I presume you do.and this can heavily skew the price upwards...like in Oz...perhaps the worlds most expensive place for buying Bimotas.....

Luckily here in Europe we are the "one market" trading between ourselves with no import taxes/charges across the borders

As per the thread...in 2008 they were 18,000GBP in the UK
Garynuttall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a ton for the thread - very interesting.........noone here in SA will ever pay that - its our crappyweak rand to the ROE but back in Oz USA or europe ..mebe...........I consider myself very fortunate to have one here......given therarity of the model............
Garynuttall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a ton for the thread - very interesting.........noone here in SA will ever pay that - its our crappyweak rand to the ROE but back in Oz USA or europe ..mebe...........I consider myself very fortunate to have one here......given therarity of the model............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: