Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Fuel Tank Coating
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oily

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Fuel Tank Coating Reply with quote

The 6R is running sweet now, at long last. With new CR9E plugs (non of that iridium rubbish) and an in-line fuel filter it's very impressive. The up right riding position is a dream for my back and arms BUT......I've discoverd another problem. Whilst gazing lovingly into the huge fiber glass tank (I think it's fibergass) with a torch, I can see very fine, white particles suspended in the fuel. I'm presuming this is from the fiber glass. In the past, when I've stripped the carbs, everything has been coverd with a fine white powder... It's now, all falling into place Idea
I remember you could get somthing to coat the inside of rusty or leaking fuel tanks, anyone know what it's called or used it would be even better Wink
kb11110cc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is the tank lining kits i have used Kreem and i think its called flowliner
If memory serves me right they cost about £45 for a full kit for a decent size tank.
In my experience you can get cheaper but there is normall not enough liquid resin to coat the tank fully.

I last used one last year on my race Lc350 tank and have a spare kit left over
so if you want it £20 for a full unused kit plus post if thats of help.

Carl T
oily

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Carl, I'll keep that in mind but want to delve a bit deeper as the chances of being able to replace this tank, if I cock it up are, to say the least, slim Wink
I presume the kit your talking about is KREEM
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Tank coating Reply with quote

Oily, good to hear your 6R is now running well. I've never had a problem with iridium plugs, but my guess is that they're a bit more fragile than the normal ones, albeit supposedly longer-lasting - can't square that one. The over-fuelling problem, courtesy of the vacuum fuel pump, probably doesn't do them any favours.

I'm interested in your white bits - only the ones in your tank I hasten to add! I've come across a report of this before, in the States I think. I've just hot-footed it down to the garage to check my tank - but no sign. Does it look like the coating is coming away from the surface, or is it just particles in suspension - could it have had a dose of supermarket fuel at some point? How many miles has it got on it? I think you're right not to rush into using a coating intended for metal tanks - adherence might be an issue. Might be worth siphoning the fuel out and re-filling to see if the bits are still there.
oily

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBB.. Your probably right on the iridium plugs, it was running rich as a labour prime minister. Not the fuel pump as that's disconected (again).
I've now dropped the needles a notch and it seems much happier.
The white bit's.... like a handfull of flour in the fuel, could have had anything put in the tank befor I owned it, carb cleaner, ethonal, anything.... It's only done 1500km from new but has caused me more headaches than any other bikes I have owned Crying or Very sad
Think I'll just wash the tank out and keep an eye on the in-line filter for now.
Anyone know of anything better than fresh petrol to wash it out.
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want me to come and pick it up for you and shake it empty?... Or I can send the wife to suck it out.... might even let her use a hose? Laughing
oily

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just wait till I tell her what you said Laughing
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Fuel Tank Coating Reply with quote

Oily, I understand your frustration, I've just fixed the common alternator problem on mine (10,000 mls). But I still think it's the best bike I've ever ridden when it's running right. Good luck with your tank.
oily

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B@llOx Shocked
Just been out for a blast and it's gone down to 3 cylinders Evil or Very Mad
Think I may have found the problem.........
Fuel starvation Shocked
Runs a dream on the dummy fuel tank but when the proper tank is on, after 10 minutes, it starts to struggle. Just draining the tank now and then off comes the fuel solinoid, betting the gauze in the tank is clogged up.
Fingers crossed Wink
Gonna wash the tank out and eliminate that end of the fuel system.
Any suggestions for cleaning the inside of the tank, dishwasher etc Laughing
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Tank coating Reply with quote

You want to use Flash Oily. The ad used to say: "Clears flaws fast, without scratching". After all, you wouldn't want somebody else scratching on your bike, now would'ya Laughing
oily

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monday I pulled the whole thing apart again for the umpteen'th time Shocked
With the tank drained, I could take a closer look.
Pulled out the fuel solenoid and low and behold, the plastic gauze thingy was completely covered in what looked like Vaseline Shocked
Me thinks I've got a problem here so I decide to wash the tank out with copious amounts of warm soapy water and then very expensive petrol.
After close scrutiny, I find the tank is plastic, made by Acerbis.
Now onto the fuel lines . I've replaced all the fuel lines and in-line filter.
Check the tank, still got a few droplets of water in it so while SWMBO is at work, I use her hair dryer in the tank for a couple of hours Laughing
Job done, put it all back together, fill it with nice new clean petroleum and am quite confident my fuelling problems have been banished.
Fire it up and...........B@llOX, still firing on 3 cylinders. What have I ever done to deserve this jinxed bike.
Pulled it all apart again and ripped the carbs off.
Pilot jet on number 4 blocked.
All back together again, fire it up again..........
Oh what a sweet sound
A Suzuki four cylinder running as it should.
Done nearly a hundred miles on it since, blasting around the local lanes and it hasn't coughed once. I think i may have solved that problem once and for all.
The moral of the story is.......................
If I'd done all this eighteen months ago, I wouldn't have high blood pressure now Laughing
On to the next problem, whilst blasting it about, the speedo stopped working, any idea's anyone? Evil or Very Mad
oily

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tank coating Reply with quote

Jonny B Bad wrote:
You want to use Flash Oily. The ad used to say: "Clears flaws fast, without scratching". After all, you wouldn't want somebody else scratching on your bike, now would'ya Laughing

Bloody el, you posted that while I was laboriously typing my convoluted solution to the problem Laughing
I'm not to worried about anyone else "scratching" on my bike as long as they remember the old saying..........
You break it, you've bought it Wink
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My speedo and revs stopped working just before the alternator and battery packed up? Crying or Very sad Sure you'll get it sorted. I am back to the states on 8th April so have to meet up before then when the rain has washed the salt away! Wink
Muzza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similair problem with the gauges on my 6R. I pulled the speedo assembly apart and found the ribbon wire that is inside the gauges had broken one of the strands. I went to one of the local electronic stores and bought a length of ribbon wire and replaced it.
You could also check the pickup mounted on the fork leg. I'm pretty sure if you can jack up the front and spin the wheel, you should get some sort of signal on a multimeter. I think if you set the multimeter to ohms you should get a reading as the brake bolts pass the the pickup sensor.
oily

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Murry,
Already checked the sensor, When I spin the wheel, I can hear somthing clicking in the clocks so I'm fairly sure the sensor is OK. Probably the stepper motors as this seems to be a common problem. Must get round to sorting it soon as now the weather is getting better, PC plod will be out in force. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: