Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Expanding tanks - Ethanol - Your views
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb8rs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Expanding tanks - Ethanol - Your views Reply with quote

Hi All,
Just came across a bit of an issue. I had taken off the tank on my 8rs to do some work with the fuel light and on trying to put the tank back on I find that it is a "very tight" fit. More so than I remember!. Now I know we are all led to believe that bigger is better, as it may well be; but it is not when it means that your tank is expanding.
I looked on a few websites / forums as it appears that this is a common thing with Ducati's and KTM's and in fact any bike with a plastic tank.
It appears that the Ethanol content of our fuel here even though it is only some 5% in normal unleaded and if this is what 5% does I cannot wait for E10 (10%), which is everywhere on the Continent and even E15 (15%) to arrive.
I have inadvertently put E10 in my tank whilst using a normally aspirated bike whilst touring in France and it cut performance by 30/40%.
So my questions to you are
1. Have you had a similar experience?
2. If so what did you do about it (if anything can be done)
3. How are you / we going to move forward with this?
4. How much Ethanol is in Super unleaded?
I presume the bikes affect will be those with plastic / moulded tanks, DB3, Sb6r and SB8r's?
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is a stange one......and mostly being kept quiet by manufacturers.........Ducati as you say........are having a horrid time replacing tanks under Warranty as they are expanding that much they are shearing the fixing bolts to the frames...and this on only 2-3 year old bikes..........

Havent experienced any such yet woth Bimotas...but as you say can go back to 1986 bikes...as even Db1's were fitted with plastic tanks.......I suppose if it happens then getting them made up in ally is the only course for the older stuff...as at least they are then covered with other bodywork.....I know its more of an issue in the states.....and there are additives you can use to counter it......and or liners to the tanks

Last edited by 2bims on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful if thinking of lining a fuel tank as a lot of the liners now succumb to the effects of the enhanced ethanol content in the fuel. Plenty of horror stories around concerning clogged fuel filters due to the lining breaking-up.
SpikeC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Huge amount of info on this on the Ducatimonsterforum.org
My dB5R has a VERY snug fitting tank, it is extremely difficult to fit the front retaining screw, to the point that the threaded insert in the frame is no longer in place, attempting to install the screw pushed the insert out. I now have a nut on the bottom of the place where the insert was, and it was quite a trick to get it there!
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi spike....why dont you move back the rear tank mount? Theres a special ss bracket that takes the 2 rubber sleeved bolts that slide in from the back of the tank...surely you could space this back a bit? Scarey part though is you think that your tank is growing as a result of the fuels though.....so far no issues with mine...removing and replacing was simples in itself with the front and rear fixings...although i did grease up the back to ensure an easy and full depth insertion....always advisable and satisfying.... Wink
SB8R Tuner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem on my SB8R's about 6 years ago. The only way to solve it is to coat the tank with an epoxy gas tank coating. Not only does the tank swell it also dissolves the plastic inside the tank. Remove the fuel pump and check the fuel pick-up, It might be coated with finely dissolved plastic. If the pick-up is clogged up some, I can see where you will get a reduction in performance, but I have NEVER seen a reduction of 30-40% from running E10 over non-ethanol fuel on the dyno. Also, you might want to raise the fuel pump up about an 1/4 inch. You'll find the way it is now mounted the pick-up screen in pinched off where it goes into the fuel pump. SB8RS, if you still want to know about the ECU flashing, I will gladly answer your question, but you need to follow directions.

Here are some pics of what you could expect with the fuel pump.

Here are a couple of pics from a Mantra I Fixed and tuned for a customer.

Suzuki 1988 GSXR-750
Suzuki 1989 GSXR-750R
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Expanding tanks Reply with quote

I have had the inside of tanks on SB6Rs dissolve and clog up the carbs. I'm undecided as to whether the culprit was ethanol in petrol or fuel-preservative. I coated with epoxy and touch wood haven't had any further problems. I've never had a problem with the tanks on YBs, which are made of a different sort of plastic.
SpikeC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="2bims"]Hi spike....why dont you move back the rear tank mount?

If I moved the tank back there would be no place to put the seat!
This situation was in place when I acquired the bike and has not worsened since.There is a small separation in the paint on top of the tank along a groove which leads me to believe that it has expanded as well as the snug fit.
1965 Triumph T100SC
bimota_rider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an SB6R and have run 10% ethanol through it for years and have had no such issues.

Thanks for the heads up, I will keep my eyes peeled, as I am about to wake 'er up from her winter's slumber.

Luckily, I have also found an outlet that sells un-oxygenated fuels, for a premium price, but from what I've heard and seen, well worth the $$$.
'98 Bimota SB6R #000016 "Sweet 16"
Built 5/97

2014 Suzuki Hayabusa

2001 BMW R1100S
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SpikeC"]
2bims wrote:
Hi spike....why dont you move back the rear tank mount?

If I moved the tank back there would be no place to put the seat!
This situation was in place when I acquired the bike and has not worsened since.There is a small separation in the paint on top of the tank along a groove which leads me to believe that it has expanded as well as the snug fit.

I was only suggesting you move it back a washer or two...not slot it behind the tail pipes........ Shocked
SpikeC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the seat is a wedge fit as it is...........
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I'll give you that.......thought I was going to snap mine when taking it off....had to check a few times they're werent any more bolts holding it in other than the one mentioned in the manual...and the second NOT mentioned....Find it easier to pull out the back one first as its an overlong bolt that gets caught in the bodywork otherwise
CBar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had problems with a couple of my Aprilia's. This cured it.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=38978
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Cbar...a good price also......did it help reverse symptoms? Not reline the tank as such but if there was any swelling did the tanks go back to their normal size and shape?
sb8rs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that if you drain the tank and let it dry for a while, it will revert to its original size / shape.
Has anyone knowledge of this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: