Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

brakes again

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dingbat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: brakes again Reply with quote

Hi all, as mentioned in earlier post - rear brake linkage had been adjusted up a bit tight at the factory. Replaced adjuster locknut with halfnut as adjuster rod adjusted fully short already. OK now. Rode off proudly and off up the dual carriageway near the house - 6k rpm shows 77 - 78 mph in top - even the speedo is working ! This time it was the turn of the front brakes to seize on ! Stopped, very rapidly as it seized solid so not much choice (!) let them cool, rode home again. Front brakes same as rear - thought they felt firm, the Brembos I have had on other bikes, notably Aprilia, all had a little give in the lever pull. Removed the blob of hard epoxy or whatever it was locking the adjuster screw at handlebar lever, adjusted a bit of room into it - job done. Finally made it to the pub ! And back even ! A good racing buddy of mine will not come with me to the first Poole Quay bike night coming up soon, saying he will accompany me in his car towing my bike trailer in anticipation of other types of drama. I am of course, determined to prove him wrong ! But now The bike feels great, hoping to put some miles on it this weekend ! Laughing
vort28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully after the few teething problems all will be OK Dingbat.

Your mate better be in a BTCC car, cause you going to leave him for dead overwise Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a first one...front brakes trailing on and sticking......little blob of silicon or whatever is supposed to be there...nothing to do with Bimota...just what is there with Brembo to stop the bolt working loose or tightening up....I would though put the bike on a front prop stand and just check the discs for tolerance/warping.....if a little out it would cause rubbing on the pads that would heat up the brake fluid and cause expansion....creating same issue you had.....best to be safe...I'm also assuming the fork tops are level...and thus wheel sitting straight inbetween the forks.........

When all said and done...not a great start...but at least its meant you've had to take it easy and not explore the full power of these beasts....and that in itself is a good thing until you get some experience on it Laughing
dingbat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: brakes again Reply with quote

I think that the brakes may have been adjusted for "racing feel" but with just a little too little travel to let the pressure off the pads completely on the return stroke. As mentioned by others, the bikes have all new parts but are still 17 years old, The bikes were obviously never tested properly - if thousands had been built it would probably been different - and just a run up and down the road in Milan is not enough to bring such faults as I have encountered to light. Even then, the issues with the brakes are nothing other than minor adjustments - but could catch out the unwary unless you completely strip and rebuild the bike before you ride it in anger. Two strokes can do silly stuff in any case sometimes so you ride with that little caution in mind with an ear on the engine note and a feel for any imminent change in running. Its all part of the two stroke experience ! When you build from new or rebuild your own bike that you will be risking your neck on you strip the bike if its an overhaul and rebuild or build carefully if it is a new build so problems are usually avoided as a result, but when things are built by hand then sometimes things can slip through. Its all part of owning that special handbuilt Italian gem - ferrari owners encounter similar problems even with new ones ! She's a' beautiful ; she's a' Italian as they say ! Need to get the bike run in; it will be a little while now so I can be sure nothing else comes out of the woodwork and especially no high speed cornering till I am sure its all safe ! I am keen to see how it compares to my TZ750 racebike. I had looked at putting one on the road a few years ago when the original Vdues proved to be too flawed but I think that although its been done that the tz are just a bit too delicate with the magnesium crankcases. No generator either ! I think that the last vdue incarnation when its sorted is the best idea. Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good to see that you are approaching Bimota and in particular "V-due" ownership in the right fashion.....as you say ...17 years old...seals can stick as not moved for 17 years etc etc......Piero does have a test rider....turns up in jeans and a t-shirt...trainers, a helmet and no gloves and goes out and blasts them up to 150mph...then returns......I dont think he uses the brakes much.........

You'll be rewarded when its on song and you're confident that all issues are sorted......whilst we all like to reminisce and hark back to the "good old" 2-stroke days....I think after 25 years of being on my RD400E and even RG500 gamma....time may have passed them by and a re-visit may destroy my old memories...Thus the V-due is the way to go for nostalgia.......bang up to date frame, suspension, brakes, lightness...and most importantly.......Power.......Enjoy
dingbat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: vdue Reply with quote

Hi 2 Bims - as your goodself, I met up with the Vdue team when I went to check the bike over on the day it was picked up - reassuring to know then that my bike has already been tested to 150mph. ............... Test rider came back in one piece though ! Maybe I will not have to run it in after all ! If you buy a carbon clutch cover please order an extra one for me - to avoid Vorts clogged up clutch adventure - drop me a message if you would. Suns out down south here - out on the vdue this afternoon ! Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh...I got your PM through re clutch cover........Vorts trying out a half moon one from a Ducati to see if 2 or 3 bolts at least line up...and if no good then its order time to Armin in Germany.....Strangely its Sunny up North also today......was going to take the Ducati Pup for a run...but Mr 2-stroke seems to be calling....so its piccies time later..........
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Dingbat...Did you make it out on your Vdue? and if so did it have a "first" and make its way back under its own steam this time?

Quick trip out on mine also...would have been rude not to considering the weather........up to rivington Barn and Back......zing zing tring tring

vort28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you made it there and back 2bims, and photographic evidence to send to PB to prove another vdue does run .
All I need to do is get mine MOT'd and we will have to see if we can have a vdue outing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: