Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Problems to start.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Tspirit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Problems to start. Reply with quote

Hi guys! I need your help. My Vdue starts well with a full charged battery. When I stop it and try to start again seems the battery is discharged. I charge the battery and then starts again, but only for one time. I try with another battery and then the same problem. The two batteries are in good condition because can start many times a SV650. Do you know wich could be the problem? All the saturday for nothing... Thanks for your replies. Bye!

PD: Sorry for my english...
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the main earth , generally on the left hand radiator mount, or try the actual contacts in the starter toggle in the right hand switch gear.
Also try just holding starter toggle switch down for longer as mine seems to have a delayed reaction to the start function. Take 1 or 2 seconds to realise the button is depressed.
trev45

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start it up and check charge rate

Trev
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Try the main earth , generally on the left hand radiator mount, or try the actual contacts in the starter toggle in the right hand switch gear.
Also try just holding starter toggle switch down for longer as mine seems to have a delayed reaction to the start function. Take 1 or 2 seconds to realise the button is depressed.

Mine can do the same also........a bit of a delay sometimes when the starter button is pressed..have to hold sometimes and then it kicks in.........Also check that you are not in false Neutral......I've found on a couple of them that the neutral light may be on but its still in gear...and the starter acts as if it has the kill switch on.........Also the bike may be in neutral...but if the green light is not on then again the starter button does nothing........So 2 false neutrals........check for green light and check by pushing that it is in neutral....and always ensure its not in gear as even with the clutch pulled the starter button does nothing if in gear......

Is the "Std" i.e. sidestand light operative? I always pull the clutch in to start anyhow to lessen the load on the battery/starter
mm500

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The starter motor on my bike start turning right away on the first try, if I try a second or third time I need to hold the switch for 1-2 seconds before it reacts.
after 4-5 starts, I get the low bat message.
my bikes is always plugged on to Ctek chargers all the time to save the battery.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can ignore the "low Bat" warning note that comes up on the dash.....with a decent newish battery theres still plenty of grunt left over lone after this warning message comes up........my battery charger can indicate "strong battery" and voltmeter says so also...yet low batt warning can come on after a few failed start attempts....I usually key off the ignition and leave for a few moments for the ECU to reset itself on warning messages.....think the Low batt warning is programmed to come on over a time issue of non start rather than a warning on the battery itself.........start button not working for a few seconds is a good thing.....Older Ducati style start buttons on older Bimotas had a tendency to short out if you kept them pressed for too long, and that meant a new starter button assembly......at least on the Vdues it seems to auto cut-out to stop this happening....if an issue just use the key to reset and start again

I've sort of learned all this over the last 10 months since having my Vdue..which even if it isnt ridden every week (although I try) it is started every week........It was the only bike I rode to the Mcr Bike show...despite the rain bouncing off the roads on the way down...and all with no problem...... Laughing
mm500

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks Smile
Matty82

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all Smile I have a problem with starting the new bike too Sad the sun has even gone in as it's taken that long.
It started with the choke warmed it up with constant small blips for 30-45 secs, then choke off an continued to warm up to 40 degrees, then Stopped. Won't re start. Checked fuel, plugs, oil etc. left for a bit. Tries to fire for 1sec then nothing. Repeat half a dozen times, now feel dispondent. Outside temp is 14 an cloudy. Idea's please
SethG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petrol tap closed?
Matty82

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After more time, I've narrowed it down to the battery or charging system. As with the trickle charger back attached it runs well. Even with the lights on or the electric fan. Without it it dies.
trev45

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you check all the plugs are connected properly ?

Using the KISS repair methed

Trev
Matty82

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trev, remind me again about the KISS system :p
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you actually riding the bike on the road yet Matty? re insurance posts etc etc.......I always get myself ready and then start the bike...once it revs cleanly after 20 seconds or so I back off the choke completely and then ride it........otherwise you will be draining the battery if just starting and letting it idle without riding it...........Battery could be 17 years old? And hence not up to the job of holding a charge?? Does "Lo Bat" warning sign come up on the dash when starting it?
Matty82

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2bims, I didn't want to but you know sometimes you just get the erg to ride your bike, ha. Bad I know but.... You're dead right by the sounds of it. I normally run my 2stokes up to 60 before riding them, no-one likes a cold seize Sad they all sit fine till we're both ready. How come the stator/ copasator setup doesn't seem to function. The battery should be good as it's ALL new but will double check tomorrow.
Tell me more about a 20sec warmup an then ride. Is this the best way or is it the only way.
Oh ya when I get fully sorted an out are you up for a ride
Chris F

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you start getting mis fires on the starts you might want to check your sprag clutch...
both me and Nige had this problem many years ago.
trying to keep starting the bike with a low voltage/flattish battery will knacker it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: