Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

V dues, oil pumps and petrol in the airboxes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dingbat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: V dues, oil pumps and petrol in the airboxes Reply with quote

Hi All. Sorted out the oil pump setting - minor surgery required but turned out OK - much better running yet again. Rear of bike now a lot cleaner ! Oil pump mounting bracket I think may have its origins in a Chinese Christmas Cracker. Thought I'd mention though that all the carb and petrol tank overflows on mine are cunningly routed into the two airboxes which in turn have no drains in them. Each box, lh and rh had a pool of fresh petrol - about 1/2 pint in old money - sloshing about in the bottom after 400 miles. Pipes now renewed with ones that vent out (carefully) under the bike as is normal. Could have been more than embarrassing ! Worth checking guys to avoid your pride and joy going up in flames in front of all the lads outside the pub ! Surprised
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you cut down the threaded adjuster ...carefully without cutting the cable...so that it doesnt fould the snail cam?

Once turned down you should find less fuel and oil appearing in the airboxes.............So where did you re-route tha drains that go into the airboxes? Into a separate catch tank or through the belly pan potentially leaking to the back wheel/tyre?
bimotanige

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usual trick is to drill a 2mm hole in the bottom of each of the airboxes - old vdue forum method for us, then turn the oil off under the tank when not using it. I replaced the non return valves where the oil lines go into the carbs with Aprilia RS250 ones that actually work and stop the oil leaking past into the airboxes. I cut the adjuster tube down as well and worked fine since Smile
dingbat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All - yes - cut down the threaded adjuster. Got the marks to line up as close as wont make any difference. Has made a significant improvement to the running of the bike obviously. There was that much oil previously that it probably wasnt doing the engine much good. Before riding the bike in the beginning a little experiment did show that the vdue oil pump does indeed allow oil to seep through after a while if you dont turn off the oil supply so no worries there (!) Its nice to see that the carb bowl drains are easily accessable ! Re routed the small pipes out of the carbs out of the way underneath, into catch bottle and will keep an eye on it for a while. Kawa triples have two overflows per carb which just drip into the crankcase and out through a hole in same and the 500LC Yam has a nest (!) of overflows that just go into the bellypan of the fairing with no ill effects - when you think about it the amounts would be miniscule on a day to day basis and would evaporate almost instantly if vented to atmosphere but looks bad when several months worth of drips are collected together in an enclosed airbox.Likewise they would only overflow if a float was sticking which sometimes happens if bike is left on the sidestand for long periods. Also dont know how much was in there to start with from Italy. Obviously anything which may have oil in it would have to be well clear of dripping on the rear tyre ! Again on that subject - my bike has the gearbox filler vent blocked with a factory fited countersunk in the hole. Anyone else ? As mentioned - the petrol in the airboxes was clean - didnt appear to be blowback. Will keep an eye on it !
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh...I have the same non vented gearbox filler cap with the countersunk "hole" which is actually an allen key hex socket...but so small its hard to tell...took me a while to find a narrow enough ring spanner to fit the filler cap to top up the gearbox oil.........
mm500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the two pipes that goes to the airboxes may have something to do with the ram air and the presssure in the airbox at speed, or am I wrong?
If so the best way is to drill a hole in the bottom and rute the fuel in a catch tank?
brian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Yeh...I have the same non vented gearbox filler cap with the countersunk "hole" which is actually an allen key hex socket...but so small its hard to tell...took me a while to find a narrow enough ring spanner to fit the filler cap to top up the gearbox oil.........

So, does the gearbox have any means of 'breathing' or is there a risk of popping a selector shaft seal or output seal?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
trev45

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- There are three breathers for the gearbox
two on left side , one on the right side

Trev

Last edited by trev45 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
dingbat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for suggesting that maybe looking at the obviously hasty way that Bimota has attached the road going kit - when staring bankruptcy in the face as they cobbled together the FI followed by the carburated v due- I am not so sure that their team of engineers in the R&D division of the company (!) would have had spent much time in the the dyno and the airflow rig room (!) dedicated to the fine tuning of the myriad functions of ram airbox back in 1992 -3.The last RGV 250 VJ23 - the ram air doesnt actually do anything much and apart from making the bike look like a racebike is completely redundant on the road - still only 52 bhp stock with or without it as the bike physically wont go fast enough to make it work ! Even if it was connected as it isnt normally though its all there apart from the still air reservoir you have to get and fit from the OEM race kit from Japan. But it can give a small benefit to racebikes at racebike speeds on long straights. Ram air again is essentially an open feed without a road type airbox / filter and does tend to make the carbs difficult to jet for the high speed conditions which occur only briefly when there is sufficient ram air pressure. On stock road bikes stable jetting is achieved by the OEM airbox by having a stable relatively constant still air reservoir for the carbs to suck against allowing jetting to be more accurately achieved - seen an RD350 ? hence the bike runs more consistently in different weather conditions. This explains the pronounced change in running when the weather temp and humidity change. I think to sort out a vdue you would need an air reservoir shared by both carbs if you wanted to get the ram air working properly if you could find somewhere to put it. Some modern bikes have it incorperated into the frame around the headstock.As regards pressurising the fuel system - good old gravity seems to feed the 4 carbs on my TZ 750 just fine with the use of a couple of feet of plastic pipe ! ! You never know though ! Will double check that the gearbox is vented somewhere or will make it so.I think the drilling of the small hole in the bottom of the airbox is the best way to go regards the petrol accumulation and I shall do that next time the fairing is off. Ref the other type of running out of petrol - mines doing about 16 - 18 mpg running in at up to 6k rpm. How about yours ? Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pieros Own Vdue site says its a 16 litre tank...have also read 20 elsewhere...but given its physical appearance and times I've filled it up I'd go for the 16litre being more accurate......From being fully Brimmed up to full level........its always around 70 miles on a run before you see the low fuel warning light blipping on under braking.........if it was a 2 litre reserve from this point then it would be 14 litre top up...or around 18squid in GBP.......can never seem to get close to that number so I would reckon over 20mpg...immaterial really...just dont run out.....its about the smiles within and those given back from others
dingbat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2 Bims - you've got it in one. The V Due is what it is - a beautiful one of a kind Italian two stroke motorcycle in a modern chassis that is quirky and great fun to to ride and beautiful to look at. Its pretty much fine as it is and I'll be keeping mine that way - youre' never really likely to win a Moto GP race on it no matter how much is spent on it ! Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as MOTO GP winner? Well in my case the rider would be much more of a limiter than the bike... Laughing

A good man knows his limitations...(Clint Eastwood - Dirty Harry)
JRH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sorted my oil pump by shortening the threads, thanks for the great info 👍
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: