Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Wanted light weight wheels for VDUE and SB8R
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Spare Parts Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trev45

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Wanted light weight wheels for VDUE and SB8R Reply with quote

Like the add says wanted light weight wheels for a
- VDUE
- SB8R
Front and rear would be good
but would consider single wheels

Cheers Trev

Last edited by trev45 on Wed May 14, 2014 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a front from a 916 style Duke - it's a Dymag carbon rim and Mag 3 spoke ... I haven't tried fitting it up the the SB6
Your in Oz though, I reckon the postage would kill you !!!

For a lighter cost effective route look for the Machesini 3 spokes used on Laverda - the front should drop in, the rear is a bit odderer because they're chain is on the wrong side. You could maybe look at Duke 999 because they had a double sided swinger.
If you want a new drop in wheel, though have a look at Dymag they should have a pattern ... Carbon is cheaper than mag but still about £1600 pair
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Light weight wheels for Vdue/SB6R Reply with quote

£1600 for carbon Dymags Chuckie! When was the last time you caught that tram up to town? Laughing
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only £50 out

http://www.dymag.com/ca5.html#fs_2
Bud977

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of fitting a set of OEM Yamaha R1 wheels to my YB8. These are very light for OEM wheels and are readily available.

The weight of the OEM R1 wheels is very similar to aluminium aftermarket wheels. Read an R1 forum and you will find posts about people being disappointed they bought aftermarket wheels and hardly lost any weight. This tells me the R1 wheels are a good thing.

The rear is roughly 7.5kg with the disc and Renthal sprocket. The Dymag site lists their bare aluminium wheels as 5.6 or 6.23kg depending on the model so not much of a difference.

If you want really light, go for carbon.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can vouch for the dyamgs...even the alloy ones are a great saving over antera anchors........and the advantage with the dymags, be it carbon or alloy is that they come ready to fit, pre-sized and with all spacers sorted so a straight bolts your discs on, fit tyres and good to go..

Heres a previous post where I weighed up the wheels compared to anteras (all weights with sprocket, no tyres or discs...so a like for like comparison)

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1655&start=0

AND THE FINAL WEIGH IN RESULTS ARE......

, rear wheel weighs 5.90Kgs WITH SPROCKET, Old Antera with sprocket....8.95Kgs

And for the front, weighing in at a spritely 3.45Kgs....AND the Old Antera a whopping 6.0Kgs

Both sets of wheels without discs and tyres, measured like for like. Thus a Total weight loss of ......5.55Kgs, or in old money, 12Lbs and 4 ounces

Dymag quite often have "deals on" where they either discount the carbon fibre, or the alloy versions........normally pre-season...or email and ask....
2bims

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a comparison...their alloy sets are 9.05Kgs per set with sprocket and nuts...whereas their carbon wheels are a spritely 5.1Kgs per set.......mind you thats what they state for a Duc 1098 which is a single sider rear wheel......

Dymag even have a dealer in Oz...so may be able to save you some expense on import/delivery??

http://www.dymag.com/australia.html
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Light weight wheels SB6R VDue Reply with quote

I'm genuinely surprised Chuckie. I'd have had them down as two large, or more. Thanks, you've sown a seed that is sure to earn me a severe handbagging!
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Light weight wheels for SB6R Vdue Reply with quote

Anybody thinking that, at £1650 a pair, carbon Dymags might almost be cheap enough to refurb the rusting wheelbarrow that's keeping the back wall of the summer house (or shed, if you're from up north) perpendicular to the horizontal - don't forget to add on George's portion, which gets you to two large Sad
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Light weight wheels for SB6R Vdue Reply with quote

Jonny B Bad wrote:
Anybody thinking that, at £1650 a pair, carbon Dymags might almost be cheap enough to refurb the rusting wheelbarrow that's keeping the back wall of the summer house (or shed, if you're from up north) perpendicular to the horizontal - don't forget to add on George's portion, which gets you to two large Sad

Bugger !!!
You know I thought about that afterwards. Maybe Dymag will do a deal again ... the only other way might be for a group buy Idea

Are you still a Dymag agent ???
sb8rs

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful what you wish for!

I know people who have bought carbon wheels and wish they had not and removed them to sell on.

Reason stated is that they are too light.

Great for racing where a flightly bike means a light bike which can be used hard.

I have found a mid weighted wheel (halfway between a BST / Antera) is perfect for ROAD use.

Just saying..............
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Db2 used to have Dymag 3 spoke Carbon Fibre wheels fitted to it.....but the owner at the time also found the same....it made an already light bike too light,,,,twitchy and nervous......so he put the Oscom Bimota rims back on...and stuck the carbon dymags onto his YB11....heavy (relatively) bikes can take the light wheels..........Speak to BimotaNige...he has BST Carbon rims on his Vdue...and Vort has ally Dymags on his Vdue
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Light weight wheels for SB6R/Vdue Reply with quote

Carbon rims work well on the 6r, 'cause he's 'big-boned'!
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the way to look at it.......... Laughing Certainly the YB11 felt fine with the carbon dyamgs........and only 7kilos difference between YB11's and Sb6/6R's.....Think when you get down to the 169Kgs etc of Db2's and Vdues compared to 190Kgs...youre trimming larger percentages of weight with carbon
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted different suspension to my Mini once and it was really light to steer. It took a while to recalibrate my head but after that it was good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Spare Parts Wanted All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: