Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Missing Bolts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Missing Bolts Reply with quote

Well after her jaunt to the IOM for a quick pre-TT blast around I promised the Db2 that I would give her a better check-up on return if she played nice and get round to fitting my new CA Cycleworks Coils, and HT leads...and remake a few electrical end connections also..........

First thing was tank/seat unit off as I also had a hydraulic leak from somewhere that was running down the swingarm and dripping onto the rear wheel......and I was hoping it was rear brake related and not my trusty Rear Ohlins remote res..........

Then it was time to pull off the stainless steel heat baffle plates to get a good look at the rear shock also....which is when I discovered that the tubular rear subframe was only held on by 2 of 4 required bolts......Most strange....2 of the bolts fix from the outside of the frame and 2 others fix from the inside going out.........Now I know I had issues fitting this before as the heat baffle plates have tangs on them...bottom plate fixes to the front two bolts...top plate to the rear 2 bolts...and you have to ahve the top plate "floating" and in the air slotted under the rear subframe whilst you fix the front 2 bolts...the darn thing is a bit of a chinese puzzle and the sequence is just one way works and all others fail.........Do recall quite some time ago my local un-named dealer calling to ask how to fit the baffle plate....me now thinks they didnt figure it out and left both bolts out...Grrghhhh...quite sizeable bolts that they are also..and unlikely both would come loose and fall off...as when you sit on the bike they are under tension of your own weight.........Hey Ho.........

Fortunately the Remote for the ohlins...and the main body of the unit were all fine.....the top connecter of the back brake reservoir pot was beyond its best and the overlong connecting hose had seemed to swell over the years and no longer made a tight fit to the reservoir brembo pot...so off with the unit...and on with new line and new connectors for a nice snug fit once again...and back on with the clothes.........perhaps another day for the HT coils and leads...........
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loctite - super strength - its de rigeur with Ducati's Wink
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its is with these bolts now...and doubled up with locking washers and a good heavy twist wth a pry bar for triple measure....
brian

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recon you're on the money with your comment about the dealer leaving them out or at least leaving them loose.

I'm loving that curvey frame and pipes mate... very nice.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on the dealer front also Brian......Grrghhhh....I do like the lattice spindle stuff...and still today.....people look at it and some think its new...and most go.."oh look...an offset rear shock...just like the panigale" to which I have to add...not quite...this was done 20 years ago and the rear shock doesnt hit your leg like on the Panigale..........

Bimota could have just used straight tubes like on my Duc 900SS....but then that would be more welds and not perhaps as strong or well braced...so yup...bends put in....and places everywhere for things to bolt onto....Only exception is the Corse rear cans that are SS Jubilee clipped onto the original cans mounting piece that bolts to the frame...but I've accepted those clips now as part and parcel of the look...especially given the cacophony of wail and noise they emit...pure music.... Laughing
brian

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
people look at it and some think its new...and most go.."oh look...an offset rear shock...just like the panigale" to which I have to add...not quite...this was done 20 years ago and the rear shock doesnt hit your leg like on the Panigale..........

That's the problem you have when the style of our 'old' Bimota's still look ultra modern, people not in the know don't realize that they are 20 year old bikes.

I think if you just 'had' to buy a Panigale, the 899 would be the better of the two, cheaper too.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Bud977

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great looking bike, and so clean. I want one. It's a pity we can't register post-1988 import bikes easily in Australia.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post 1988? Thats a bit stringent...whats the reasoning behind that cut off? Here in good Ol Blighty if the bikes over 15 years old then its easier to register than anything thats new or slightly new...and the 15 year old is rolling...as in every year more bikes are easier to register...including Vdues now from 1997...and they also classify for Classic bike insurance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: