Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Some odds and ends and a question, DB5R related

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeC

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Some odds and ends and a question, DB5R related Reply with quote

I have been doing a little farkleing on my DB5R. I got some news rear turn signals intended for a 2nd generation Ducati Monster, leds and an angular design that mirrors the stock mirrors nicely, and are unbelievably bright!
They came with resistors that were unnecessary.
My bike came with the control levers that were for the DB5, so I bought some hinged ones from (shudder) China that are like what should have been there in the first place.
Then I did mummy wrap on the pipes leading to the mufflers to reduce the heat that the shock was exposed to.
Now the question: has anyone ever measured the actual useable capacity of the fuel tank on these bikes? Last Friday I did a highway cruise to determine the fuel milage that the bike was capable of. It returned over 50 miles per gallon with a head wind! I am planning a road trip to California and would like to know how to plan gas stops without doing the hard work of figuring it out for myself!
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spike.....50mpg certainly sounds pretty good going...presumably top gear but just strolling down the road........

Motorcycle Specs says tank Capacity is 17 litres...or 3.73 gallons in old money (UK) or 4.5Gallons in US conversion (We use 4.55 litres per gallon and youse guys use 3.785 litres per US Gallon...)

Bimota Spec sheets for the bike say 16 litre capacity.....

Due to their being no reserve and only the Low fuel warning light...the furthest I've pushed a DB5 or DB6 bike from Full is 125-130miles........Although the bikes arent heavy....they sure get to feel that way if you find yourself having to push it any great distance....

Even if you were to try and go for 150 miles between top-ups ....on a 600 mile journey it would entail 4 fill-ups.....whereas 125 miles between top-ups would only lead to one extra fill-up but with peace of mind that you aint going to run out............and with your rather "lowly" speed limits over there that would still be 3 hrs of riding between fill-ups so perhaps you may want a break anyhow?

Either way Spike...we'd want to see lots of pictures of such a journey

Does look a cool Journey.......I'd be tempted to go through every National PArk on the trail of the Lonesome Pine....where hearts Entwine....Looks like some awesome scenery and routes available Spike.....Lots of phot oppurtunities....How long you planning to take...or is it intended as a one day blast?

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Portland&1s=OR&2c=Los%20Angeles&2s=CA
SpikeC

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just going to Ft. Bragg, not LA, so prolly a couple of days down, on the scenic route. Stopping in Gold Beach most likely so plenty of coast roads.
It is nice to know that 200 miles on a tank is doable at 70 mph, tho, as if it is possible to keep it down that much!
On another note, I emailed the Bimota guy on this side of the pond about alternate maps for the Pegaso system, and he told me that they were available, butt that the system had the ability to tweek the system with the Bimota diagnostic software, which he is out of at present. He said he was heading over to Rimini in a few weeks and would see about getting more of them. He said that the Pegaso had a "Power Commander" function built in.
Ever hear of this?
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume thats "Bob" of Bimota Spirit? Hopefully hes trying to discuss being a Bimota dealer again as Bimota hadnt renewed any concessions over your end and thus no new bikes were being sent out.....although I know that Bimota are trying again reaching out to previous bike dealerships that used to trade in Bimotas.....same here in the UK.

Power Commander in the Pegaso ECU? These ECU's were only on the first batch of Db5's...later ones like mine have Walbro ECU's...and with the connecting cable and software from Bimota, that I have...you can change the mapping and fueling...and a few other parameters.....but soz...not familiar with the Pegaso units.......

Sure sounds like a swell journey...hopefully you'll take a rake of nice photos for us guys envious of your intended travels......just 3.5 days and my DB5R's heading over to the Isle of Man TT proper...so all kitted and ready for the off...and will duly oblige with photos as usual.....and her sister bike the DB6R is also due to be there...so will be matching his and hers.......... Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: