Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB9 breakdown
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonny68

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: DB9 breakdown Reply with quote

Hi all
Last Thursday while out the fuel light came on and around three miles later I was overtaking a car and the bike lost power then it came back then lost again then it was back to normal, I got a friend to bring me a gallon of fuel just incase and it was okay all the way home. Filled her with fuel and went on a short 40 mike ride yesterday with no issue. Tonight exactly the same thing happen but this time the power never came back and a recovery truck had to take her home. I've emailed Bimota so will see what they want me to do. Any idea what it could be ?
Vdue-pt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably they will tell you to check the fuel pump, gas filter and fuel tank for dirt…

And recommend you to avoid riding the bike on reserve.

www.facebook.com/motopasione
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm presuming you have Koso clocks on your DB9.....I know from another on here with a Db10...that when the fuel warning light comes on....he has exactly 6 miles until it runs out altogether.....he carries a hose with a pump bulb under his seat...so he can pump fuel from his mates bike back to his...........and then get going again........

When the fuel light comes on on my KOSO clocks...I generally fill up straight away....and can get max 2.5-3 gallons in...meaning that maybe theres still a gallon in reserve........but I just dont risk it...........so light on,,,fill up......

I'd suggest putting an inline fuel filter in ...the type with a clear gas bowl...so you can at least see that there is fuel in the line making its way through...and its a secondary fuel filter...and one that can be inspected without pulling the tank off

Various sizes available

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5039.m570.l1311.R1.TR4.TRC2.A0.H1.Xglass+fuel+filter&_nkw=glass+fuel+filter&_sacat=0&_from=R40
sonny68

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I put the battery on charge for the day, she started up first time! Never took it out so could it be an electrical problem? How quick should a battery discharge when trying to start it? This one was dead after 5 tries !
SpikeC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very careful about an in line fuel filter in the line from the tank to the throttle bodies, that line is under a lot more pressure than in a carbureted motor. The extra pressure could easily result in a lot of fuel spraying onto the motor.
1965 Triumph T100SC
SpikeC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double your trouble....
1965 Triumph T100SC

Last edited by SpikeC on Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

sonny68 wrote:
I put the battery on charge for the day, she started up first time! Never took it out so could it be an electrical problem? How quick should a battery discharge when trying to start it? This one was dead after 5 tries !

Whats the frame number on the bike? Just the bit in the middle would do....should say DB09....then theres an R for made in Rimini...then there should be 2 numbers that denote the year of manufacture....that could let you know how old the bike really is...and thus how old the battery is......If it isnt charging when the bike is run this would point to the rectifier/regulator not doing its job in charging the battery....or could just be that the battery is goosed.........
Vdue-pt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the battery all depends of how it was charged, for how long did you pressed the start button on the 5 times you tried, also with this kind of engines big bore V2’s is always better not to stress too much the battery or the start system trying for too long and many times without giving a little of time between each attempt, at least if the bike is equipped with normal lead battery.
If you want an a lot more reliable start system with a lot less probability of problems than maybe you should think about installing this battery:

www.facebook.com/motopasione
sonny68

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry been really busy last few days, so I changed the battery and in 24 hours it had drained ! Bike was put on a trailer and taken to Ducati Lincoln for them to look at, head technician thinks it could be amp regulator. I've emailed Bimota a few times and gad no rely so not happy with their customer support Sad
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As posted before....how old is your bike? I.e. what 2 digits are after the Model type on the Frame Number?

Was the battery fully charged when put into the bike.....most suppliers recommend 24 hr charge before fitting or it will drain and fail....I always use Tayna batteries in Wales as their batteries are supplied good to go from the box...excellent service.

A regulator/rectifier can ruin a battery very quickly....but only if the bike is being run at the time...cant harm the battery if the bike is just stood idle.......And as no Bimotas are fitted with Alarms or even transponders I cant see what could be draining the battery?

As regards Bimota Customer Service? Well I hope you get resolution...as this is a constant thorn in their side and something that just doesnt fit in todays market place..and expectations of any customer are always high on any agenda...expecially so if you think you've paid top dollar for a product.....Never had any luck with Bimota dealing direct..and boy I've tried....Five of us here in the Northwest do a Bimota stand each year at the manchester show...and this year put 17 Bimotas on display of our own bikes.......I emailed Bimota direct to merely ask for Bimota sales brochures to hand out...and perhaps a banner or 2.......I emailed the New owner direct via his own company...and via his facebook page.I did this is French, Italian and English....and Yup.not a single response back....Off our own backs we represent the brand...and dont get me wrong...theres no money in it for us...we like doing the shows and showing the bikes to any and all interested...and each year we make our own arrangements and print up banners, pop-up stands...even carpets...representing our passion for their bikes........

I've spoken to several UK dealers...now mostly Ducati, Triumph, etc...that used to be Bimota Dealers in the past.......and they've all said the same........If Bimota had such a thing as "Customer Service" or Dealer Backup from the Factory.......then they may consider being a Dealer again.but until such reassurance they wont risk their own reputation as a dealer...they wont take money off punters for Manufacturers who provide no back up as it would surely taint their own name and reputation......The last and only UK dealer...who has now given up with Bimota..is still fixing bikes for free as Bimota wont give back-up...or pay for Warranty repairs.

I wish the truth was different....but so far....it aint.......But I still wish you the best of luck...I can dig out one persons name and number at Bimota if you wish that speaks and writes English...and has provided service before for others...?
sonny68

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry bike is at dealer so don't know the vin number, Bimota finally emailed and are happy for the Ducati dealer to look at it.
2bims I can give you the email (Elena) who I've always dealt with if you need it, her English is good and maybe she could help you with your valuable support for their brand ?
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers...I think thats the person I've tried writing to a couple of times...as recommended by others on here that have bought Direct....come the time of another show I'll probably try again..Hope you get your bike sorted.......Your Vin number will also be on your V5 License Document...assuming you have one and aint running around on Italian plates.... Wink
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, got back from the Bimota factory last night after being booked in on Tuesday.
Bimota seemed very serious about fixing any bike but seemed at a loss with this DB9S....I was shown the emails and asked to assist with potential Ducati dealers nearby to Lincoln. Bimota' were happy to pay for any repairs but not the transport until they knew what was wrong. they had tried to call the owner but to no avail. Maria Elena is no motorcycle mechanic and could not even try to diagnose a blown fuse from a ECU glitch. ...but there are people there....What will happen...I am unsure BUT they do not seem to abandoned the owner and I am confident by my experience...here is an account of my visit.

We arrived at the factory at about 10 am...by 11 am the transporter was arriving back from the BEW weekend...instead of all eyes on the race and customer bikes in the transporter.....my DB9 was quietly worked on...by 11.50 the exhaust was on...then then ECU updates were performed and the mapping changed.
The bike went back in the elevator and back upstairs again where they carried out a full inspection.
The mirror was found to be faulty and replaced and they were unhappy with the Rear shock function....it seemed fine to me...and this was replaced .
All items under warranty all items FOC.
They liked my foot peg assemblies requested photographs and the engineering drawings and arranged some oversize Bimota bars to be sourced...The Bimota bars are 28mm whereas the fat bars arei 28.6mm!

All done quickly and FOC......mind you the Arrow exhaust cost enough....but all fitting was free and all mapping was free....even the coffee and drinks machines!

I genuinely get the impression that the UK situation is equally not to their liking but what do you do?

Whilst I was there I gave them service contacts at JHP Coventry and MotoRapido Sussex........but any potential arrangement takes 2 parties.

BTW I could not understand how old Sonnys DB9S was ....or where it came from ...what the mileage was ......and I was in the same room as the conversation....even face to face the barrier of language is there.

On a good point "........apparently other than for the weather the BEW exceeded all of BIMOTAS expectations

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonny....how is the DB9 getting on?
Did any other light appear on the dash? If so .......I think I have an idea.
I identified something after washing the DB9 on my return from my factory visit!

Just a thought....as mine would not start etc etc.......but not on the road!

Regards

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
Tricolour

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on your DB9 issue?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: