Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Doing to valves on the DB5R

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Doing to valves on the DB5R Reply with quote

Wholly Guacamole, getting to the valves on this puppy is quite the project!
It turns out that all of the valves are right a spec save the verticle exhaust opener, so I have to wait till the shops open to get a replacement.. It is 2 or3 loose, butt I have a piece of feeler gauge that is 2, so I was thinking, I could cut a circle and fit it under the valve shim, and it would be just about right!
1965 Triumph T100SC
SpikeC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I acquired the needed shim after some "issues", and got it installed in the motor. This bike has a chamber that the crankcase breather vents into that then feeds the airbox. The chamber had a good sized hole melted into it, looking like it had rested on a hot cylinder head. Upon reassembly it was quite clear of the head so I have no idea how it became melted, butt I filled the hole with JB weld so no more unfiltered air into the motor. Only now it idles quite a bit slower than before.
At least it does run!
As I worked on the bike I had many thoughts along the lines of "why did they do that?" Removing the fuel tank was easy save for the quick disconnects fighting me at every step. Then there was the air box that had dirt lying in the bottom... The hole in the breather box explained most of that, butt when I went to remove the screws holding the nose piece on the corrosion made them very reluctant to give up. Getting them out proved to be easier than getting them back in, though! This was designed to be assembled without the electrical system in place, it would seem!
There is a tradition in the vintage woodworking tool community that a tool does not belong to you until it has tasted your blood. The Bimota and I are now inextricably linked.
1965 Triumph T100SC
brian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeC wrote:
There is a tradition in the vintage woodworking tool community that a tool does not belong to you until it has tasted your blood. The Bimota and I are now inextricably linked.

Laughing Yeah, it's definately a love/ hate relationship with these beauties.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: