Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Stock vs custom / take off parts question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daotoys1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Stock vs custom / take off parts question Reply with quote

Im looking for peoples thoughts about something.

How important ( if at all ) is it to keep take off parts of a BIMOTA if one is upgraded and or customized?

By this Im referring to whenever a BIMOTA is modified ( EG upgraded components /titanium fasteners , custom parts ) and there are a number of take off OEM parts .

How important is it to keep the take off OEM / stock parts ?

The question really is centered around what happens at resale. If a BIMOTA has been customized , how much added value if any , will keeping all the take off parts ( so that the bike can be returned to its original condition / out of crate stock condition ) be when it comes time to sell the bike ?

I can see that there may be some advantage to keeping the take off parts so that the bike can be returned to its stock from the factory dress . Or the bike could be sold with the custom changes , and the new owner would have the take off parts to go with the bike .

I see 2 basic options here :

1) keep all of the OEM / stock take off parts ( so that someone can return the bike to its out of crate from the factory condition )

2) sell off the stock OEM take off parts ( because they are just taking up space ) ( and or to help pay for the custom upgrades )

Any thoughts to share on this ???

thanks'

DAO
SpikeC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I keep them. I want the options to stay open, even though I never intend to sell! Butt then, I have a stock exhaust from a '99 K1200RS in the basement, and I haven't had that bike for 11 years!
1965 Triumph T100SC

Last edited by SpikeC on Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
brian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Spike. I keep any and all stock parts that i remove off any bike. Even stuff like emissions systems that i've removed and never intend on re-installing. Always good to have original parts on hand.

I too have a stock full exhaust system hanging on my shed wall that came off my VTX1800 before it rolled out of the dealership. It weighs a ton but looks nice Wink
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My obsession is such that i even keep a lot of broken parts Shocked .

Hello, my name is Brian... and i'm a hoarder
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Speedmade

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion fwiw is that if you are bolting on parts, you should always keep the stock parts.

But in the case of my DB2, once I permanently modified the frame, there was no going back, so I started selling unneeded stock parts.

2bims

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in your own mind you've answered the question by merely asking it.........I think 99% of people are guilty of "saving" all the original parts that have been upgraded.......just in case come the day that you eventually sell the bike......Will it be worth more? Just more desirable in essence....and would show to any prospective buyer that parts upgraded have been so purely as an upgrade and not as a result of a fall/damage........

I think we all know that if purely down to monetary terms in gain......it would always be best to return to standard and sell on the upgraded parts separately........

A bike is rarely worth more than the sum of its parts..and a standard bike allows new owners to do their own upgrades.as thats part of the fun with bikes...the tinkering after the purchase
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Open pitons Reply with quote

Spike, open pitons can lead to poor starting. You want to get them welded up Laughing
SpikeC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always proof read your posts! Pitons has been changed to options, as they have now been welded up!
1965 Triumph T100SC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Tesi All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: