Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Just got mine!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SethG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Just got mine! Reply with quote

Just got mine today, finally after nine years of wanting one. I have no idea what edition it is, chassis number is 378. When I look it over, it seems like an EF, but the bodywork is wrong. I think it's an EF that saw the bodywork swapped, but I can't think of anyone to tell.

Rode it home a short distance today, it's a pretty strange bike alright. Runs pretty rough below 5-6K rpm, then it feels perfect. Although I honestly can't tell if that's normal, since I have no frame of reference.

Going to take it for a longer ride tomorrow, 150-200 miles to see what it's up to.

trev45

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will sort it out i'm sure
and when you do wow , the fun begins

Trev
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seth...Congrats on your purchase...and on putting a picture up on your first post...well done...almost as impressive as getting the bike.

Where abouts are you? At least what Country? and where did you find the bike?

Looks like it has BST carbon Fibre wheels also? Nice........
SethG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I live in Southern California and found it when it passed through consignment at a local Ducati dealer. Quite by happenstance really and I'll tell you this one seems pretty well put together.

Pretty luck,y, it still has less than 100 miles on the clock....
JRH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!!
Love the wheels, and it has a petrol tap......
Is the belly pan even spaced to clear the carb air boxes, or is it an FE carbon one, painted?
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does look nice Seth...and I'm sure youre going to enjoy it..and lucky if its been able to be registered in Southern California from what I understand of their emission laws........

There are at least ten of us on here that run and ride Vdues (as they are intended and designed....and certainly the best way to get the most from them...).....There are normally a few things needing doing to them...which is well published on here....first one being turning back the oil lubrication as they are normally set to over oil for running in.......
SethG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Ha! That didn't last long. Started out this morning and made it a couple miles of running cold before it started stalling.

Feels like it's losing fuel, getting it back then losing it again, and virtually no throttle response, then it started stalling every mile on the freeway and wouldn't rev out. After 7 stalls in 4 miles I managed to limp it off the freeway and call a tow back to shop...

Here we go! Welcome to the club for me!
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you were running out of fuel........they only do around 18mpg so just a shade over 70 miles per tankful and you need a refill.......Could be plugs oiling up if the mix is still set at the standard setting as it normally leaves the factory.......expect to go through a couple of sets of plugs in the first 500 miles prior to it being run in and then you can turn the oil mix way back........Is it spitting Oil over the back end, number plate, hanger etc?

Do you turn off the Oil tank switch also each time you park it up? Means lifting the tank to switch it off...is recommended between runs as the oil will keep running down otherwise.......

Also check that the oil level is Fine...only takes a litre in the gearbox but again the bikes can be delivered a little short of this level.........
mm500

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

Nice looking bike with some really nice wheels!

Good luck Very Happy
Matty82

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's a great looking bike Smile
brian

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Seth. You sure know how to make an entrance Laughing

The bike looks very nice mate. Is it new or used? I'm sure one of these V-due freaks will be able to help you identify exactly what model it is.

From what i understand, a lot of the last built bikes were put together with whatever parts were left. So that may explain the different bodywork?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
SethG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome guys. Yes, used for sure, but under 100 miles, so I guess it was on show.

It's going to spend a few more days at the shop.

It was full on fuel (just filled it up) oil was good and the shop called to say it was idling okay again and they definitely don't think it was a bad plug.

Seems like a fueling problem, but not sure what could cause it. I almost had the sensation that it having vapor lock with the fuel tank and surging and dying as it ran out of fuel. But ever half mile it stalled and wouldn't even think about starting until the engine had come to a complete stop and I shifted to neutral and hit the starter.

It hasn't really blown much smoke at all, and very little oil residue at the end of the pipes. I can imagine it's still set high on oil at the moment. But it was a pretty solid ending to the show, I had to have it towed back to the shop.
trev45

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by trev45 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
trev45

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With these bikes when retro fitted with carbs
the fuel cap needs to be be pulled up and on
the bottom is a rubber plug that needs to be
pulled off so the tank can breath
All three of mine needed the same thing done
so fuel can run free and fast

Trev
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the shop to check that the 2-stroke Oil lines are bled out correctly and dont have air sitting in them........and you've also now learnt that the ECU in the clocks doesnt allow the bike to be started UNLESS its in neutral...even with the clutch pulled...the starter just wont engage....there can also be false neutral light on but bike isnt in neutral....or bike is in neutral but the light isnt on....it has to be both in neutral and with the light on before the starter button will allow the bike to be started..........Strange but true...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: