Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB6 (Tested!!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Berrocal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: YB6 (Tested!!) Reply with quote

Hello:

We are Antonio and Alvaro from Spain. We are Ducati fans and in general of the italian classic motorcycles and now (happily) an YB6 of '88 came to the family. Searching for information we found this forum and... it's great!!!

Here, is the YB6

We have to work a little on it...
and the problems starts!!!

The previous owner told me that the bike had an accident few years ago but that the bike can ride... (still NOT). They change the rear wheel of the bike for one of a diferent model (I'm not sure if could be from an YB8?) The problem is that they use the same spacers and the wheel was blocked... and also the bolts of the rear sprocket touch in the swing arm... You can see the damage in the pictures...

I start to work on new spacers to line the wheel but I can not line properly the wheel... but don't fit.

I did a diagram with my measurements using the same brake suport and... the wheel doesn't fit.

I supose the the swing arm of the YB8 is the same as mine and (from pictures) the brake suport also... I see in the bimota manual of the YB8 that the spacers are diferents (have diferent reference). I supose also that the brake disc is right (the adjustment with the caliper is perfect).

Any help? Does anybody knows the measurement of the spacers of the YB8?

Last edited by Berrocal on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:24 am; edited 2 times in total
laminator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From looking at the photos, I've not checked my bikes as just seen the post, you could try swapping the spacers over. If the wheel is locked, is it the brake caliper not lining up. You could remove the caliper and see if the wheel will rotate. The bigger spacer fitted on the sprocket side may give more clearance.

I'm using my phone to view the post, will have a look at the pictures on my computer and check my bikes tomorrow. Welcome to the forum.

Got to ask, what happended to the handlebars?
Bud977

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Antonio and Alvaro, welcome to the land of Bimota ownership.

I will try and help. I have a YB8 however it has PVM wheels fitted so the spacers may be different.

I can confirm the space between the swingarm is 240mm. The eccentric adjusters are flush on the inside and outside, so the distance between the adjusters is 240mm.

The spacers on my disc side are the factory ones and are 5mm on the outside, then the 20mm caliper bracket, then the 15mm spacer on the wheel bearing side.

The sprocket centreline is 18.5mm in on the left hand side.

The spacer on the sprocket side to suit the PVM wheels is 19mm.

It appears that something is wrong with your setup. Your diagram shows 205mm across the bearings. When you add the factory brake caliper side spacers you get 245mm, when the swingarm is only 240mm and you haven't even added anything for the sprocket side spacer.

From your diagram, the distance from the sprocket side bearing to the centreline of the wheel is 115mm. To centre the wheel, you would need a 5mm spacer, but is the sprocket in alignment then?

It's easier to feed the axle in from the left. That way the wheel is supported while you get the brake caliper in position.

I hope that is of some help.
Berrocal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quickly reply!!

Bud, I was checking the pictures of your bike and I supose that have to be the same like mine (you have the black caliper) but I need to check the size of the brake suport and my spacers (from the brake side). Like you can see in the pictures, are diferents; and I checked and the spacer between the wheel bearig and the caliper suport seems ok.

YB6

YB8

You said that the sprocket centreline is 18.5. (it's ok on the picture?)

Could somebody confirm if is the same in the YB6? I was checking in the photos and also the Tuatara (that use the pre-EXUP engine like mine) use the same wheels that the YB6. I belive that the 2 engines (EXUP and pre-EXUP) have the same distance for the sprocket but I'm not sure...

The first pictures are of how the wheel came on the bike, and the others with the spacers according to the manual.

About the handlebars... sometimes I can't understand what happend in the head of the people... Question now, the top yoke also...
Bud977

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's right. The sprocket offset as shown in green on your drawing is 18.5mm.

Here are some photos of my spacers:

And you can get an idea of the sprocket and disc offsets from these photos:

Berrocal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Sorry... Work done!! Reply with quote

Wheel fit and turning!! Thanks for the help.

First of all I have to say that we have a big mistake... the drawing was not ok, my wheel is 185 mm. Embarassed This is the mistake:

When we start to dismount we checked that the wheel also has lost the inner spacer. We did a copy and we try whit the original spacer for the YB6... In the drawing we add the inner spacer measurement to the wheel... the mistake...

Thanks for this 5 mm spacer!! Bud, all the measurements was perfect and now the wheel is perfect lined (the sprocket centreline is 18.5 mm).

This is the result.

The final measurement is: 5 mm + 20 mm (caliper support) + 15 mm + 185 mm (wheel) + 15 mm = Total 240 mm.

(mine has some diferences because I need to re-face the eccentric damaged)

The wheel is perfect and also the distance between the sprocket nuts and the swing arm.

Now.. the work must go on!!
Bud977

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! I'm glad you got that sorted. It's back to the way it was originally made.
Berrocal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Working again!!! Reply with quote

Hello:

For work reasons I had to be out of the country few months but now, we start again to work on the bike. After solve the problem with the wheel we did a small test of the bike and everything seems right (need cleaning carbs and job but in general everything was ok)

We start to dismount the bike and check. We start to check and repair the electric installation and prepare the back of the bike. I have the manual of bimota but they don't say the torque to reassemble the suspension (linkages, etc...). Somebody have the torques of the bike?

2bims

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately you'd need the "workshop manuals" and not the owners handbooks for the torque settings...that are normally set out after the end of each chapter of description of removal of parts...and at the end of the book also for other parts....I have the one for the YB11 that shows removal of the rear suspension...but doesnt give any torque settings for reassembly...which is strange...as torque settings are elsewhere stated for other many many parts.

The workshop manuals are very "hit and miss" sometimes invaluable sometimes useless...depending on which model...hopefully someone has one for your bike and can check
Bud977

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bike looks nice. Sorry I don't have the torque specs. They're a big bolt (12mm), so I just do them up 'very tight' according to my inbuilt torque wrench.
Berrocal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Front part Reply with quote

Hi!!

Thanks for the help, the back of the bike is almost ready. Everything is tight Wink (if somebody find the information...). Now, we go for the front...

I will go to change the fork oil (and check), looking in the manual they advise to use SAE 10 fork oil (and also SAE 70 on the english traslation Shocked ) and 160mm from the top to fill the fork leg. Some tune-up advise?

One comment, when we dismount the stearing bearings we found that the lower don't have any protection against the dirt (we still have to check what have under the black-block stuff...). It's good point to encrease the life of our bearings...

Thanks again for the help and... go to the garage!!
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some early Bimotas were know for having a "tight" jerky steering head....due to a rubber dust seal on the lower bearing sticking when the assembly was tightened...the solution was to remove the rubber seal/washer.......and just dont get the bike wet or dirty.... Laughing
Berrocal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Finally... the test!!! Reply with quote

Hello!!!

During these days we was ending the work on the bike and... tested!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

We have a few electrical problems with the switches but everything was solved and the bike runs great (small test around the house). We are wating for the road registration but need the fairing (they are almost ready!!!) and the bureaucracy Confused for the road plates.

Sorry for the pictures, with this fairing the bike seems something strange but feels better than with the cross bars of the begining Rolling Eyes

Now.. the bad new, at the end when we fix the front wheel my right fork leg brokes (at the bottom, across the wheel axel) Somebody have one on spare?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: