Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB2 Steering Damper

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Head Tomcat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: DB2 Steering Damper Reply with quote

Guys,

First post on this forum....and it involves a 1993 DB2 bike.

A good friend of mine recently bought one and we just spent the last two days getting it fully recommissioned for the road. Valves, oil, brake systems, etc. One thing which I am scratching my head on is the steering damper. It is totally out of oil and I am trying to sort out the seals and oil I need to rebuild it.

The steering damper unit itself is very easy to get apart and I already have it properly cleaned up. Of course, I also noticed it was absent of oil other than perhaps a very thin film in a few places. The two outer caps are easy to update as they seem to use two standard size o-rings which I can obtain....but the problem is the two internal oil seals.

These two seals appear to be a very hard plastic compound and directly ride on the damper rod to contain the oil. These seals are the ones which really do the work and I do not know of a source to find them. Does anyone on this forum know what size/kind of seals they are and who might stock them?

Also, I have heard on other forums that 2.5wt or 5wt oil can be used for steering damper rebuilding. Does this seem correct to you? Finally, how full do I fill the steering damper unit? All the way...part way?

Many thanks!

Head Tomcat
Virginia, USA
brian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum mate. I'm not a db2 expert but i don't think they came standard with a damper? If it is a standard item it's probably easier and and better to just buy a new (much better quality) unit. Or, just run without it. My sb6 has a stock damper from new and from all account they are not the best quality.

Although, if you want to spend the time on it, a good bearing/ seal supplier should be able to source a seal that will do the job. As for oil, i'm guessing a fork oil like what you've mentioned. How much oil?... you might have to experiment with this one to get the best results.

Cheers,
Brian
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdo Tomcat.and welcome to the Forum.....

DB2 steering damper.......never had a problem with mine....and workshop manuals are poor for this bike...certainly not the sort of information you're looking for.......Pretty sure all DB2's came with the damper thats fitted across and behind the headlight, in front of the sterring column frame tube

Have a look at this place for seals......as they do imperial and metric sizes...although for the DB2 being Italian....sizes should be metric for the bike......Although this place is in the UK and not USA.....seals would be cheap to post and they are helpful people..........Most bearing suppliers also do seals.......

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/?gclid=CNH6g_2p4MACFSX4wgod4ZkAfA
Head Tomcat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

All,

Thanks for the good advice!

I found that a firm here in the US sells Ducati-related steering dampers for older bikes and one of them (their Daytona brand) appears to be almost an exact duplicate of the damper I am working on. If the bearing supplier in the link cannot help I might give this firm a yell to see if the internals from the aftermarket damper can be retro fitted to the body of the Bimota device.

Will keep you posted.

Again....thanks!

The Head Tomcat
Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once trying to find an OEM damper that had the same travel and approximate mounting points, but never completed my search. If you can find a factory damper from another bike that will work, you can pick up low mileage units from eBay dirt cheap. Unfortunately, some of them don't have adjustments, though. IIRC, most of the ones I was finding had considerably less travel (shorter rods). I had thought of making a bracket in order to use a shorter-travel one.

Did you find the seals? I had thought about rebuilding mine, as it has leaked a little fluid out of it over the years.
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
Head Tomcat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Could not find the seals... Reply with quote

I could not find the seals but to be honest did not kill myself looking for them. It appears that a "Daytona" steering damper as sold by Bevel Heaven (their smallest one) should work. The friend who owns the Bimota DB2 is going to order one from them and once it arrives will let the forum know how it fits and works.

The Olde Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: