Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Anyone ever have throttle stick open?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Anyone ever have throttle stick open? Reply with quote

After 5k miles of riding my throttle stuck open as I was exiting the freeway and down we went! I have some asphalt rash on my knees and some bruises developing here and there butt nothing broken on me, at least.
So how is the availability of body parts for the DB5R? Some can be saved, I think, butt there is a pretty good hole in the tail section......
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch....and a second Ouch for your bike spike...........

Never had this happen to myself.......Body Parts? Well other than the tank itself....all the other parts are all hand made via moulds...whether its a Db5S or DB5R...one being in fibreglass and the other in Carbon....so it would be a case of contacting the factory methinks..........There are Race panels that come from Italy for folk that replace the standard bodywork...but this is whithout cut-outs/light recesses etc....
SpikeC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 12bims, I wii talk to Bob as well as looking at repair possibilities.
I think I broke a bone in my left hand......
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least its the left hand and not the right......always a silver lining...Evidently as the bodywork is carbon fibre...it can be repaired more easily than say plastic...filled and sprayed.....if you have a decent painter it could well work out cheaper ...not to mention quicker......Not so sure if Bob of Bimota Spirit is still dealing with Bimota...last I heard was there were no US dealers left...but evidently new management is trying to get more dealers on board again......
stockcar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike wise have only ever had a throttle stick on an old gpz750 years ago, luckily it was on a straight chasing others and was basically down to some previous owners cack handed modding........caused a bit of a brown trouser moment but quick kill switch action and a quiet drift onto the road side followed........

have also had it once on a rally car when a throttle cable frayed then jammed - some 'flat shifting' ensued with down shifts on the ign. switch
was one of our fastest stages Laughing
SpikeC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
.....Not so sure if Bob of Bimota Spirit is still dealing with Bimota...last I heard was there were no US dealers left...but evidently new management is trying to get more dealers on board again......

i just received some things from him a week or so ago, and he just returned from Italy doing business with them, so yes, he is working with them.

I have a top notch painter a mile or so from my house, so there is that. The hole in the tail section may be a bit of a challenge, butt probably not for this guy......
1965 Triumph T100SC
ducatidave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 46 years of riding I have never had a throttle stick on while using petrol. It did happen when I was running straight methanol and as a result I went back to using some acetone and oil in the methanol.
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow , seems to be the season of bad luck , Thats the third incident on here in about as many weeks, time to pack toys away for winter me thinks as I am not the luckiest person.
Sorry to hear about the off Spike, and can only image your pain you are going through. Personally and emotionaly. This is the one time we don't want to see pictures.
Might be worth thinking about making some moulds off your panels if you go the repair route
SpikeC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vort, it turns out I have a rather complex fracture of the metacarpal of my left thumb, my right pinky finger and my left big toe- and maybe a right rib. I am debating with myself whether to do the repairs myself or use my insurance. I received a quote for most of the parts needed to do the job properly from the factory and it came to over 12k!
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wowsa Spike....12K...how many times did the bike flip and spin over and over?

Suppose it all depends how insurance works over in the USA....if you claimed and got paid that much over here they would classify the bike as a "total write-off" they would then pay the market value of the bike if the repair costs are more than say 2/3rds of the market value.....Sure...you can then buy it back from them and have enough money to fix it with plenty left over normally.......BUT...........here in the UK the "title" to the vehicle is then listed as Category C, or D or some such...with varying grades of "commercial write off" or "Total loss"....and this would make the vehicle difficult to resell at some time
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12K !! is that just for bodywork ?? Sounds like you got off better than the bike.
This is were exclusivity and one off carbon fibre works against you , but would think for that sort of money you could easily get yours repaired , moulds made and have a few spare sets put to one side in the loft !!
SpikeC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12bims- it just slid on the right side, the side panel is 3500, the tail is 3200, the right side of the front is 1200, the bottom of the fork leg is ground a bit and you have to buy the whole fork leg for another 3200, and the fuel tank is 1350. It adds up quick! And if I rebuild after a total I get a salvage title and that prevents comp/collision coverage.
Vort- I'm having trouble finding a carbon fiber person around here, but if worse comes to worse I could teach myself how to do it while my breaks heal!
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are truly shocking numbers Spike....and I'm now trying to eradicate having ever read them....lest I end up never using my DB5R again otherwise...........

I would have thought that the backs of the panles could be fibreglassed and then filled/smoothed/painted.....as the back faces of carbon are no different from fibreglass...Admittedly though if you have any damage on the exposed carbon feature panels that appear on every panel to let you know its carbon...it becomes a different matter...other than having those areas painted black...but dont suppose you'd want to do that.........
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeC wrote:
And if I rebuild after a total I get a salvage title and that prevents comp/collision coverage.

So if you repair it , with it being a damaged repair you cant get collision coverage ????

As 2 bim's said those figures are unbelievable !!! and 3500 ( dollars/euro's ?) for a side panel that is a very easy panel to make but 3200 for a seat unit which must be at least a 3 piece mould with undercuts etc and far harder to make .
The pricing would have nothing to do with profit and the fact side panels get damaged far more often than seat units !! Shocked

If you were closer I would offer to fix for you , especially at those prices, but I am sure you can find someone closer. ( Think I might be getting a call from 2bims now though Laughing )
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Carbon fibre repair Reply with quote

I had a brand new cf belly pan bungeed on the back of my bike to get it home. It fell off the bike and a truck drove over it. To say the least, it didn't look too good! I couldn't bring myself to chuck it away and it sat in the garage as a salutary reminder that there is a limit to what you can move around by bike. Recently, I had a couple of bits made in cf and decided to see if anything could be done with the smashed up belly pan. Suffice to say the repair is good enough that I'm not even going to have the thing painted. CF repairs massively better than plastic or even fiberglass. I would definitely go for repair Spike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: