Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

New DB4 owner checking in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
V10LEE

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys thanks. Yeah with these older European bikes you never know lol. I'll just leave it . With that said i am a two stroke guy and I'm impressed how light this bike is and the handling..
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what way do you think the speedo is not reading right? Running faster or slower than you think youre going? As I said...it is a mechanical unit running off the front wheel..........is your clock in Kms (euro spec) or miles per hour? If its a euro clock in Kms/p/h check to see if someone has put a mechanical converter on it under the clocks...an additonal converter added to the cable so that the kms are now to be read as miles....?
V10LEE

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2bims the speedo is in mph. When I punch the throttle and go fast. The needle does not move past 40mph.
V10LEE

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the bike just needs to be ridden more, and it will clear up. Who knows.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds odd that one....the inner speedo cable is round...whilst the parts that push into the speedo and the speedo drive on the front hub are squared off to fit. Usually when the cable snaps its a short piece that may break off one of the ends....fine at low speeds...but loses "bite" at higher speeds. Unscrew at the speedo drive section on the front wheel and check the cable turns properly by hand and is not rusted up...or with any broken ends......I'd suggest first you change the entire inner and outer cable with one from a Ducati 900SS or 900ssie, Ducati 748/916.Ducati 750ss etc etc ....If you can unscrew the entire assembly and take it to a ducati dealer they usually have stock of these items...make sure you get one with the same ends and of the same length overall...or a bit longer...but not shorter....I fitted a shorter one once and on accelerating up a ling hill the forks extended out to full strtch and it pulled the crimped end off at the speedo drive end as it stretched it too much.....a new one should only be around $15...so worth it to try....I wouldnt think that this would get "better" with running......the clock themelves are relaible enough and I've never had problems with those...only ever the cable or outer sheath itself.........
V10LEE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Sounds odd that one....the inner speedo cable is round...whilst the parts that push into the speedo and the speedo drive on the front hub are squared off to fit. Usually when the cable snaps its a short piece that may break off one of the ends....fine at low speeds...but loses "bite" at higher speeds. Unscrew at the speedo drive section on the front wheel and check the cable turns properly by hand and is not rusted up...or with any broken ends......I'd suggest first you change the entire inner and outer cable with one from a Ducati 900SS or 900ssie, Ducati 748/916.Ducati 750ss etc etc ....If you can unscrew the entire assembly and take it to a ducati dealer they usually have stock of these items...make sure you get one with the same ends and of the same length overall...or a bit longer...but not shorter....I fitted a shorter one once and on accelerating up a ling hill the forks extended out to full strtch and it pulled the crimped end off at the speedo drive end as it stretched it too much.....a new one should only be around $15...so worth it to try....I wouldnt think that this would get "better" with running......the clock themelves are relaible enough and I've never had problems with those...only ever the cable or outer sheath itself.........

2bims thank you very much I will try that. It seems like a simple fix. Man I really love this bike!
deebee4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My speedo stopped going over 210 km/h even when I was still increasing in speed (no clutch slipping Wink )
Funny Italian clocks.... Now I only have the rev counter (working fine), small switch panel and a lap timer.

The day I highsided...

Same turn, but new colour scheme after repair. Unfortunately the colour red is not so bright on the pictures...

brian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New helmet and new number too Wink

The bike's looking fantastic deebee
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
V10LEE

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys so I found a brand new whole guage cluster on Ebay for my DB4. Same as a 2000 Ducati Supersport. Anyhow I'm going to swap out the whole unit. I think this should fix my problems instead of trying to tinker with the existing unit..
deebee4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
New helmet and new number too Wink

The bike's looking fantastic deebee

Thanks, Brian. New helmet was necessary due to a blow on the head that caused a light brain concussion. Still not fun.....was a bit groggy when I crawled up. I've seen the footage from the closed video system of the track. Classic highsider. But the helmet saved my life, did its job, so I'm happy.

The number: I don't have a fixed number anymore because I let my racing license expire 2 years ago. I'm not doing real races anymore, due to a neck hernia that caught me out in the end of 2008. I'm happy enough to be able to ride on track and on a sports bike anyway. In fact it's better for me to ride on track compared to road riding. Road riding is more static and on long rides it stiffens up the muscles in my neck and shoulders.

Getting the bike and my body in shape for the 2015 season..... Smile
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume that you havent checked out the Speedo drive cable as yet then Lee?

i'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it sorts both problems out....but I have my reservations..........Speedo issue is 90% going to be the cable or the drive on the wheel...but could be the nylon cogs inside the speedo itself...so hopefully a new speedo can sort this as the clocks arent intended to be taken apart...unlike on earlier DB2 or carbie 900ss...where the drive unit on the back of the speedo can be removed, cleaned and checked

As for the tacho....hopefully sorted also.....but I still reckon its a break in the very flimsy Ducati sourced wiring that leads to the tacho.......when I swopped my tacho for a 900SSie one it still didnt work...and cut out the rear cylinder to boot also...so I put the old one back in and rear cylinder came back to life...just made do without a working tacho.......
deebee4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V10LEE wrote:
Hey guys so I found a brand new whole guage cluster on Ebay for my DB4. Same as a 2000 Ducati Supersport. Anyhow I'm going to swap out the whole unit. I think this should fix my problems instead of trying to tinker with the existing unit..

If the price is right just do it. It should be a direct swap. Smile
V10LEE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deebee4 wrote:
My speedo stopped going over 210 km/h even when I was still increasing in speed (no clutch slipping Wink )
Funny Italian clocks.... Now I only have the rev counter (working fine), small switch panel and a lap timer.

The day I highsided...

Same turn, but new colour scheme after repair. Unfortunately the colour red is not so bright on the pictures...

Nice pics deebee! I like your setup. I do a lot of track days with my Vipers,and do karting as well. I haven't done a track day on a motorcycle yet. I say yet,but will probably stick with 4 wheels.. Ha Laughing
deebee4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V10LEE wrote:
deebee4 wrote:

Nice pics deebee! I like your setup. I do a lot of track days with my Vipers,and do karting as well. I haven't done a track day on a motorcycle yet. I say yet,but will probably stick with 4 wheels.. Ha Laughing

Thanks. Well, could well be that after your first track day on 2 wheels you're addicted. Just the sheer manoeuvrability and physical input: moving from one side of the bike to the other, hanging off, dragging your knee, tucking away behind the screen, staying on the bike when braking hard, looking through the turns, delicately twisting the throttle mid corner and really opening it up as soon as possible to get the maximum drive out of the turn etcetera. With full respect to the 4 wheel drivers: this can't be beaten.... Wink
V10LEE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deebee4 wrote:
V10LEE wrote:
deebee4 wrote:

Thanks. Well, could well be that after your first track day on 2 wheels you're addicted. Just the sheer manoeuvrability and physical input: moving from one side of the bike to the other, hanging off, dragging your knee, tucking away behind the screen, staying on the bike when braking hard, looking through the turns, delicately twisting the throttle mid corner and really opening it up as soon as possible to get the maximum drive out of the turn etcetera. With full respect to the 4 wheel drivers: this can't be beaten.... Wink

Yeah that sounds like a blast. I use to love watching Wayne Rainey, Kevin Schwantz, Eddie Lawson battle it out at Laguna Seca Raceway. Man those were the days.

Some 4 wheel action.. My 2010 Viper ACR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: