Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Naked db2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnmankit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not pretty Chuck. At the moment I don't have any fairing, but I will fit a small nose cone when I find one that looks good. I can't decide whether or not to keep the standard headlamp, which I don't especially like, or fit a couple of led projectors, and obviously that influences the choice of fairing. I want to keep the original spider (the headlamp support) as it's part of the original frame but something is needed to protect all the electrics. Anyone have experience of led projectors? I will find something and post photos when it's done. What's your bike?
deebee4

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool in naked form with that red frame. Ducati has made use of the trend of red painted frames on their Monsters, but put this db2 next to a Monster and the spectators will see the difference in finish of the weldings and buid quality, in favour of the Bimota, of course.

I definately would opt this bike as my street bike and would sell my KTM 690 DukeIII for it, no doubt. (interested?.... Wink )

IMHO a nose cone would not do its estethics justice. The front fairing/headlamp support is detachable? Just a nice round headlamp with some room in it to put the electrics in would keep the bike a lot more compact.

Ciao
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good idea....all depends how much of the original electrics you'd have to butcher to get it to fit...as usual Ducati style...theres a raft of cables and wires lurking beneath the clocks...reg/rect also....although strangley the Fuse box isnt...that being mounted to the frame...

All the fairing and clocks front end support does detach from the frame...as well as the steering damper thats also hidden down there///trying to get it all tucked back in somewhere would be a task but nice..........

few naked pieces....and also with the DB2 theres the clocks and speedo and tacho drive cables to deal with..

barnmankit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for your responses. It's great to have some different points of view. I don't want to go the streetfighter round headlamp route as I think it's best to keep weight off the forks and have a more distinctive look to the front end, but as I say I think the original (Yamaha) headlamp is unworthy of the bike!
I posted similar messages on the French Bimota forum and got some pretty negative replies, as if the whole idea of tampering with an original Bimota was heresy. Strange, because the French are really into the custom scene and cafe racers. But I guess we're all different...
No matter, I'm convinced a db2 street/ cafe racer is a bundle of fun, not to mention great for blatting around town on (god, more heresy!). Let's have more Bimotas lighting up the streets! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear that your not averse to changing a few things...not least to make it rideable for you...as the real beauty of the bikes is the way they get down the road...not just the way they look parked in your lounge..

ts your bike so you can do what you like with it...most of us on here are like that.

The Vdue twin beam headlamp is a direct fitment for the DB2 also...same headlight as used on the DB4...one sidelight...and one main projector beam unit that is a heck of lot brighter than the original single yamaha unit.

I fitted a Vdue headlight on mine...had to relocate a couple of things here and there but no great trouble...all wires and push on connectors fitted straight to the Vdue unit...The projector beam unit is a lot deeper going back than the standard Db2 lamp unit...so I had to cut a slot in the plastic casing to get the speedo drive up and through to the speedo...but that was about it...
deebee4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're interested: I've got a brand new VDue/DB4 headlight assembly, also a used one.

Willing to sell one of them. Cool
brian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

This is a really nice photo Steve Wink
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Brian.....that piccie was from nearly five whole years ago now...how time flies eh? Bike had just been recommissioned after sitting idle for nearly 8 years.....only a few things that have been changed since then...basic servicing...new clutch, billet clutch and front sprocket cover...carbon belt covers...triple set of clocks...new tyres and new chain and sprockets....so not much different.........and it all started from this....picked up on April 1st 2010....thought it was a joke meself at first...as it was advertised for sale at the princely sum of 5 or 6 copies of the bible.... Wink

And after those sad pictures and many hour with the glad rags and opening of the wallet....the said Ugly duckling flourished into this.........still one of my favourites from Rimini....and perhaps the only real "keeper" of all my bikes....you can never forget your first love of a Bimota..... Laughing

Cant claim license to these piccies...they were done by a professional at the time they did an article for Practical Sportsbikes....

v-pilot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey deebee, If barnman doesn't take you up on the offer I will. My db4 has the single light...that two light looks sweet
96 Ducati 900 SS/SP
87 moto Guzzi Le Mans IV se (2x)
78 Moto Guzzi V50
68 benelli 250 65 Ducati 250

Last edited by v-pilot on Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
deebee4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v-pilot wrote:
Hey deebee, If barnman doesn't take you up on the offer I will. My db4 has the single light...that two might looks sweet

OK, v-pilot. Just PM me and we'll talk Wink
barnmankit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll pass on the headlamp thanks. I think a nose-cone will need a different solution. But thanks for the info and the offer. That is one very pretty db2!
One of the main things I wanted to do once the fairing was off was to tidy up the ancillaries and the wiring, so the fuel pump went in the spares box, the coils are relocated up behind the headstock on a tray which closes off the frame triangle immediately behind and under the steering head, keeping the crap off them and the k and n filters. And the IGNITECH ignition box may find a home there too in due course.
By the way, does anyone have tuning info for the fcr 41s on a standard 900ss motor? Mine are not great on very small throttle openings, which I can live with, but is it possible to smooth this out? On the plus side, I was getting nearly 70mpg at sustained 100 mph on the autoroute.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the comments on the DB2........Re tuning...I find it a bit strange that you are running FCR41's on a standard 900SS engine......theres 3 stages of tuning on these engines...first one with stock barrels, heads and pistons is normally to fit FCR39's.....so I would think you'd get overfueling/rough running at low revs without a bigger bore or high compression pistons........I run Keihin FCR41's on my DB2...but its taken out to 944cc....with stage 2 cams, gas flowed polished head...lightened balanced cranks, lightened billet HD clutch and K&N cone filters...theres also a full corse titanium Open exhaust system......Bike runs fine throughout the rev range pulling from low down...and runs smoother with less vibes than a standard 900SS engine

You could rejet the carbs and play with the needle levels...but I suspect any gain down low will cost you up high...so all depends what type of riding you want most of the power and pull from...

Last edited by 2bims on Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
v-pilot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims is right. I have the 39's on my '96 ss with a 944 kit and Ferracci slip-ons. It's ok around 3000 rpms but not below...acts like a race horse that wants to run instead of trot, up to 4000 rpm, then it's fine above that. The issue is the length of the intake runners...they're long and need high velocity. 41's are best in larger cc engines or one that has extensive modifications to get the air through
96 Ducati 900 SS/SP
87 moto Guzzi Le Mans IV se (2x)
78 Moto Guzzi V50
68 benelli 250 65 Ducati 250
barnmankit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember looking into this before I spent my money and the consensus seemed to be that 39s were good for the 750ss or for low to mid range power, whereas for better top end power on the 900, which got out of breath with the standard carbs, 41s are better, especially if tuning was a possibility as well. On my standard 900ss motor the difference in top end power and willingness to rev was a revelation.
But I'm no expert and I'm always ready to hear different opinions.
deebee4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO Whatever Keihin FCR you pick (39mm or 41mm) to replace the Mikuni BSDT, you'll always be pleased with the improvement.

The Mikuni BSDT38 have an actual venturi diameter of around 36 mm. Also slide response is sluggish, due to the vacuum operating system. Lighter springs give some improvement (like they come in a Dynojet Stage 2 kit), but really better is to fit a real cable operated flat slide carburettor.

An excellent alternative will be the Mikuni TDMR40's, which will allow you to hook up the stock throttle cables exactly where the throttle cables are with the stock BSDT setup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: