Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Another electrical oddity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpikeC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: Another electrical oddity Reply with quote

I just discovered that my headlights are wired in reverse, high beam on the switch is low beam at the light. I am contemplating just switching the bulbs, but the wire for the bottom light might not reach to the top position. The other option is switching the wires at the switch. I am wondering if anyone has been inside of this switch and has any words of wisdom re: this approach.
Then there is the optical horn to consider......
1965 Triumph T100SC
Vince186

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Spike,

Maybe You can extend the wires.
Corona

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the wires over in the plastic connector from the handlebar switch, not a big job, use a jewellers screwdriver and your specs (if you have to squint for close up work like me these days Cool
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same "issue" with a DB6....but seeing as the lights are always on when the ignition is on....and the high/low facility is just a push button for one or the other...I left it as is

If I were to change it my preference would be at the headlight and not the bar switch......these units are always fiddly and you'll find that the wires will be soldered onto the connecters and thus harder to change around.........

My policy would always be "if it aint broke...dont fix it"....it could be that changing the wires around would also mess with the "flash" facility on the front of the switchgear....on the DB6 i was talking about...this worked fine even though the hi/Lo switch was the wrong way around...
SpikeC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been suffering from the respiratory virus from hell so have not done much in the shed. That said, my first preference would be to work at the switch as my career was that of a custom jewelry maker. I have lots of tiny tools and magnifiers, don't cha know. As it stands now, if I use the high beam switch to activate the low beam, triggering the optical horn does nothing. With the high beam on the optical horn trigger activates the low beam.
As soon as I feel a bit better I will open the switch assembly and take a look inside. Looking at the wiring diagram my problem is the color code. I recall seeing what the Italian lettering for the wire colors means but I can't seem to find it now. Does anyone have the key to the wire colors?
1965 Triumph T100SC
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...yeh...I see your problem now...the electrical wiring diagram is only abbreviated letters for colours...and presumably its in Italian....

Colours for the dimmer reading left to right are

BI, VE, GI, NE (Bianco, Verde, Giallo, Nero - White, Green, Yellow, Black)

Colours for the flasher again L-R

AZ, B/N, RO (Azzurro, Blue/Nero, Rosso - Light Blue, Blue/Black, Red

Horn is L-R

GR, V/N (Grigio, Verde/Nero - Grey, Black/White)

I hadnt realised that the colours had no code...so have gone to my DB4 electrical diagram...clearly the letters denote Italian colours

So here goes

Nero - Black
Azzurro - Light Blue
Bleu - Blue
Verde - Green
Giallo - Yellow
Rosso - Red
Rosa - Pink
Arancione - Orange
Marrone - Brown
Grigio - Grey
Bianco - White

The above seems to cover all the colours you need if you pick up the first one or two letters of each italian word......Best of luck
Vince186

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a useful list 2Bims. Thanks..
I was often struggling with the color codes. Confused
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Vince.....But there was me thinking that Bimota had improved the quality of their workshop manuals with electronic versions...and full colour photos....yet in the DB5 and DB6 workshop manuals....the wiring diagrams are all in Italian...with no translation...whereas DB1, DB2, DB4 workshop manual wiring Diags are in English codings...with translation into Italian.....A bit one sided for the new manuals and bikes....Ho Hum
SpikeC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheet, 24bims, you are the greatest! What are we gonna do when yer gone??
Butt serially, this sort of stuff should be a sticky in a tech section somewhere!
Thanks a bucket load!
1965 Triumph T100SC
brian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
I hadnt realised that the colours had no code...so have gone to my DB4 electrical diagram...clearly the letters denote Italian colours

One of the very few things that i've found useful in my db4 manual Rolling Eyes
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpikeC wrote:
Sheet, 24bims, you are the greatest! What are we gonna do when yer gone??

Nah he's not going anywhere... it would be a mamoth task to relocate all those bikes, parts, books and other goodies Laughing
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: